• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound

MasterBates

Probably because most passengers don't have the mad boat bailout skills of Dr. Jones.

raidersofthelostark.jpg

Nose

pilot
Bunk, that was not the A-6 yelling at them, it was the CAG LSO (also an E-2 pilot).

The VAW-122 Bailout in 1991 was due to a fire. I thought the NFO that survived that but later died was in the VAW-124 plane that flew into the water in front of Roosevelt, but I could be wrong. There is a lot of debate about whether Maggot (in the hornet) REALLY got the kill on the Steeljaw hummer or if the fire finally burned through the wing. (It had been burning for a while.) Whether he killed it or not, it took him three passes on an empty E-2 flying 250 KTS straight and level. He only caught a little shee-ite about that one.

Nose

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk, that was not the A-6 yelling at them, it was the CAG LSO (also an E-2 pilot).

The VAW-122 Bailout in 1991 was due to a fire. I thought the NFO that survived that but later died was in the VAW-124 plane that flew into the water in front of Roosevelt, but I could be wrong. There is a lot of debate about whether Maggot (in the hornet) REALLY got the kill on the Steeljaw hummer or if the fire finally burned through the wing. (It had been burning for a while.) Whether he killed it or not, it took him three passes on an empty E-2 flying 250 KTS straight and level. He only caught a little shee-ite about that one.

Nose

Interesting. It was always my understanding that it was the A-6 (KA-6) that joined up on them. Thats how we broke it down in LSO school and the CRM lectures.

fudog50

Interesting enough is where did the Hornet or Intruder come from that was actually armed? Launch the Alert?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Fudog 50......did you know Mad Jack Kennedy or Baron Asher? Both are former Skippers of mine, both served with VRC-50.

Steeljaw Scribe

Это действительно - наука ракеты!
None
The VAW-122 bailout was the first successful bailout of all aircrew since the a/c first began flying in 1961. My understanding is that it was behind the firewall and out of reach of the firebottle. Crew bailed out when they became concerned that it was going to weaken the wingspar (hence the reason not to try and land back on the ship). A/c did fly on a little more, towards Syria, hence the F/A-18 attempted shoot down. Re. painting a silhouette on the F/A-18, bad form to p*ss off the folks that give you vectors to the tanker...:icon_wink

The VAW-122 NFO that later perished in another E-2 mishap died in the USCG E-2 crash at NS Roosey Roads.

The A-6 join-up was on a VAW-126 E-2 - believe that one was one of the losses due to an electrical short across a hydraulic line in the aircraft cabin near the main entrance hatch. Real bad news all around...

The VAW-124 loss was at night and cause was unkown (to best of my recollection) and was the last E-2 loss until Greyhawk 620 (VAW-120) last week.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed - tough time for the community all around. :( I remember when we lost Closeout 602 and Bear Ace 603 - those were bad times then too.

Had a couple of write-ups on the crew of Greyhawk 620 and the VAW/VRC Memorial Fund over at my site last week...

Welcome to Airwarriors Sir! I hope that you find it interesting and worth you sharing some sea stories with the rest of us. I think that many on the site will benefit from your experiences, advice & stories.

Steeljaw Scribe

Это действительно - наука ракеты!
None
Welcome to Airwarriors Sir! I hope that you find it interesting and worth you sharing some sea stories with the rest of us. I think that many on the site will benefit from your experiences, advice & stories.
Thanks HP -- looking forward to it :)

Nose

pilot
Hey SJS-

The VAW-122 NFO that later perished in another E-2 mishap died in the USCG E-2 crash at NS Roosey Roads.

Did some checking. It was Glen Folweiller (sp?). He died in the 124 loss.

USCG crash was all 4 USCG folks. That one was an ugly read. Pilot and Co-Pilot were both from other communities and had about 50 hours in model between them. Lots of bad stuff going on there. Navy sent down an E-2 guy (Bert) to help the Coasties with the investigation. When he saw how the report was being written (blame it all on Grumman), he packed his stuff and left. Thought they were full of BS.

One thing I remembered specifically was that they think that at least one of them was alive after they hit the ground, but the NSRR crash crew had to drive around the perimeter of the base to get to them (apparently the 200k lb./$500+K fire truck they were driving couldn't go through a 8 ft high fence...

Best
Nose