• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

dwi before tbs

ruinedlt

First off I'm sorry to have to even ask this. I feel that I've brought shame to both myself and any one/organization that im a part of. After this past sunday's packers-giants game i was driving home from the bar and was charged with a dwi. I thought I would be fine getting home, but a cop pulled me over and the rest is history. I am a 2nd lieutenant, but I haven't gone to TBS yet. I also had an air contract. Does anyone have an idea or know someone thats been through my situation? Will I lose my commission, will i lose my air contract, will I get court martialed? I've already told my chain of command, but they dont seem to know yet, and the few officers that i know through friends that have been in for a while don't really know anyone thats gotten one while a Lt, but not before heading into TBS. Hopefully ill be allowed to learn from my hubris and continue on the military path. Sorry for rambling and thanks for all the replies.

phrogpilot73

Your life is not ruined. There's a lot of questions to be asked. Was an accident involved? What did you blow? Did he pull you over for something else? These are all the kinds of questions a good lawyer will ask. My recommendation is to find the best lawyer money can buy and retain him. If you can't afford it, get a loan. This is an investment in your career/life. The chain of command may wait to see what happens out in town before they hammer you. Generally, an NJP is warranted vice a court martial. I was lucky, my chain of command supported me - I got a damn good lawyer (the best that Onslow County could muster), and I got the charges dismissed. FWIW - I got arrested between the RAG and my first squadron, and it had no impact on my career because of the support of my COC.

Navel_Avatar

First off I'm sorry to have to even ask this. I feel that I've brought shame to both myself and any one/organization that im a part of. After this past sunday's packers-giants game i was driving home from the bar and was charged with a dwi. I thought I would be fine getting home, but a cop pulled me over and the rest is history. I am a 2nd lieutenant, but I haven't gone to TBS yet. I also had an air contract. Does anyone have an idea or know someone thats been through my situation? Will I lose my commission, will i lose my air contract, will I get court martialed? I've already told my chain of command, but they dont seem to know yet, and the few officers that i know through friends that have been in for a while don't really know anyone thats gotten one while a Lt, but not before heading into TBS. Hopefully ill be allowed to learn from my hubris and continue on the military path. Sorry for rambling and thanks for all the replies.

Not to crush your bubble, but this happened to a Lt. I knew, and he was a prior. He was on PTAD, got a DUI, and received an administrative separation. This is something the USMC is really cracking down on now. I've even heard of Squadron Commander's being relieved for being DUI.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
DUI/DWI's are never good man. I think many of us have been in similar situations, why some are caught and some not is just chalked up to chance. Get yourself a good lawyer and do what he/she says. Passin the word up the chain was good - bad news never gets better with time. Keep pressin and good luck.

ruinedlt

Your life is not ruined. There's a lot of questions to be asked. Was an accident involved? What did you blow? Did he pull you over for something else? These are all the kinds of questions a good lawyer will ask. My recommendation is to find the best lawyer money can buy and retain him. If you can't afford it, get a loan. This is an investment in your career/life. The chain of command may wait to see what happens out in town before they hammer you. Generally, an NJP is warranted vice a court martial. I was lucky, my chain of command supported me - I got a damn good lawyer (the best that Onslow County could muster), and I got the charges dismissed. FWIW - I got arrested between the RAG and my first squadron, and it had no impact on my career because of the support of my COC.

There was no accident. I was pulled over for speeding(i really had it coming do something so stupid) and I blew a .18... I got a great lawyer, but i think I've got a snowballs chance in hell of not getting charged. Today was the initial appearance and by feb 7 my lawyer will have the evidence and hopefully he'll be able to work magic, but im not hopeful of the outcome. If the charges do get dismissed (and thats one enormous IF) then i should be fine, suppose time will tell. thanks everybody for all the comments and keep them coming if you've got any info on the subject

ruinedlt

Not to crush your bubble, but this happened to a Lt. I knew, and he was a prior. He was on PTAD, got a DUI, and received an administrative separation. This is something the USMC is really cracking down on now. I've even heard of Squadron Commander's being relieved for being DUI.

my one hope with that is that since i haven't gone through tbs yet and im not a prior they'll cut me some slack. Being an officer i should be setting an example, now i think they just might make an example of me.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Hope for the best, expect the worst.

I'm from small town America where driving after a couple beers is standard practice since the majority of the roads are dirt and worst case scenario, the neighbors cow is going to die. So I won't be one to say I haven't driven absolutely drunk.

I did eventually grow up and realize how incredibly stupid drinking and driving is, why set youself up for failure "thinking" you'll be fine after 1 or 2, I don't drive after ANY, and any and every Marine I ever meet I recommend the same to them. In the civilian world, I've seen careers absolutely f-ed up by even showing up hungover for sims....let alone flights.

A squadron on base here had their CO relieved recently for driving intoxicated from the O-Club to a/his pad barely 200 yards away, they didn't cut him any slack, I honestly can't imagine you'll get any either.

BUT, a good lawyer and lots of $$ in fines has proved people wrong, so again, good luck.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
A squadron on base here had their CO relieved recently for driving intoxicated from the O-Club to a/his pad barely 200 yards away, they didn't cut him any slack, I honestly can't imagine you'll get any either.

I am all for cracking down on DWI's considering how many life's are lost each year because of them but that is just stupid. What happened to protecting our own? It doesn't matter if it is a O-5 or an E-5, something like that is just dumb.

MasterBates

I am all for cracking down on DWI's considering how many life's are lost each year because of them but that is just stupid. What happened to protecting our own? It doesn't matter if it is a O-5 or an E-5, something like that is just dumb.

Because that would not fit into the paradigm of Total Risk Avoidance, zero tolerance, don't-you-dare-get-out-of-the-box thinking.

Did I just win Buzzword Bingo?

phrogpilot73

...I blew a .18...
Not to destroy your hopes, but when I was arrested I wasn't speeding, and only blew a .09. My lawyer said he wouldn't take it if it was over .10 because it starts getting exponentially harder to win. That's pretty god-damn high.

No shit. On Friday afternoons, we used to see lines of MP's waiting outside the O'Club hoping to snag a blue sticker...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I was talking to a marine in my class yesterday and he told me that you get put on a work detail for the rest of your committment. That being said, get the best lawyer you can. Another marine buddy of mine I graduated The Citadel with, got a DUI in San Diego (post TBS) and was admin sepped.

GroundPounder

With a .18 you are going to have to work to have the test be inadmissable. Is any portion of the process on video tape? If your arrest, the test, or your booking is on tape, your chances of being found not guilty just went down. Were you cooperative during the process? If you were not and this is on tape, thats another hit. If you were not a jerk, that works in your favor. DUI's are hard cases to make deals on, but if no one has a hard on for you so much the better.

In borderline cases a jury likes to put themselves in the shoes of the defendant, but in your case it is not as likely that you will get that benefit.

I would suggest that if you trust your attorney, and you should if he is representing you, that you do what ever he says to do to the letter.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DUI/DWI's are never good man. I think many of us have been in similar situations, why some are caught and some not is just chalked up to chance.

There, but for the grace of God, go (or went) I (or many of us)

Get yourself a good lawyer and do what he/she says. Passin the word up the chain was good - bad news never gets better with time. Keep pressin and good luck.

Just went through this with my daughter and lawyer is a must!

Brett1

Banned
There are many ways to attack the breathalyzer and that will be key in your plight. Depending on the state you are in you may have some very viable defenses that you NEED to assert. As a bottom line, try the case.... it wont get any worse than what you will get if you plea out. (from a career standpoint)

Caveat - I am not aware of what state you residing in and I am admitted in Florida so I cannot give you legal advice until that question is answered. I would encourage you to "lawyer up" and fight like hell no matter what. If you need a referral to an ass kicker in your area let me know.

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
DUI is bad news, but not the end of the world. I know 2 Captains that are now major selects that just got picked up for the big Lobotomy. Hell, I know one Captain and one Major at TBS right now with DUI's on their records. It's not the end of the world. Here is a piece of advice though, I would only tell those officers in my direct chain of command. I wouldn't say one freaking word of it to anyone every again, ever. It's your dirty secret when it comes to your peers. TBS is the biggest knitting circle/hen house/gossip mill that you will ever go to. You let it out that you are the DUI guy, and you will be judged on every platoon ranking/spear eval the entire time you are there. The good news is that the majority of the people you end up going to TBS with will all be out in 4 years, so you got that going for you. For example my TBS platoon had 42 students, and I am now the only one still on active duty, and nobody is around to remember the time I streaked through the FPL on D week butt naked with a Gas Mask on, and a light coat of CLP. They also don't remember the time I shat my pants on a hump and got the call sign deuce for about 3 years, but that's another story. Seriously, keep it to yourself and the CO, and if you can avoid telling your SPC, then all the better. Good luck!