• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dumb question but I can't get a real answer

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Do the NFOs sit in the back seat like on a tomcat or what? My cousin thats an officer on a sub said yeah but on certain jets and planes.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To answer your question....yes, but Tomcats are no more.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Sorta... it depends on the aircraft. In the 2-seat variants of the Hornet, the NFO's sit behind the pilot like in the F-14. In the Prowler, you have an NFO next to the pilot, and 2 in the back: 1 behind the pilot and 1 behind the front-seat NFO. In the E2, E6 and P-3/EP-3, the NFOs work in the back of the aircraft, but it isn't sitting like in the F-14 or F-18.

If I'm leaving anything out, let me know.

Hope it helps,
Bubba

I didn't know banned users could post...

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Alright. So after you get your commission you go to basic flight training in Pensacola right? After that you get to pick or get placed to a type of plane? After that you train on that plane? Correct me if anything is wrong and I think it is.

chrispaul

NFO
None
Alright. So after you get your commission you go to basic flight training in Pensacola right? After that you get to pick or get placed to a type of plane? After that you train on that plane? Correct me if anything is wrong and I think it is.

Yes, that about sums it up.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!

Unless you are a Marine, in which case you have 6 months of The Basic School (TBS) before flight training.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None

Unless you go heavies...then you learn to brew coffee like none other.

slater01

This could end up being a dumb question, so this seems like the right forum. I sent my package in for Intel last week, but I'm starting to get interested in NFO just in case I don't get selected for Intel. Somebody recently told me that a Navy NFO could end up being in a helo, is this true? I want to just cover everything before I decide to put it on the application, and my recruiter is on vacation this week. Thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This could end up being a dumb question, so this seems like the right forum. I sent my package in for Intel last week, but I'm starting to get interested in NFO just in case I don't get selected for Intel. Somebody recently told me that a Navy NFO could end up being in a helo, is this true? I want to just cover everything before I decide to put it on the application, and my recruiter is on vacation this week. Thanks.

No NFO's in helicopters, unless you join the Royal Navy.....;)

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.2431

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.4994

I don't think helos would be all that bad for an NFO though, great view.....:D

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I don't helos would be all that bad for an NFO though, great view.....:D

Flash has been drinking' again...

As for having an NFO as a copilot...I guess it's as great as having an NFO at the sticks of any plane...right? [sarcasm]Because, helos, especially when there's no horizon and your HAC gets vertigo, are pretty damn easy to fly. [/sarcasm] I'll listen to your response off-the-line...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash has been drinking' again...

As for having an NFO as a copilot...I guess it's as great as having an NFO at the sticks of any plane...right? [sarcasm]Because, helos, especially when there's no horizon and your HAC gets vertigo, are pretty damn easy to fly. [/sarcasm] I'll listen to your response off-the-line...

Yeah, you guys can keep your helos. I like my version of post-mishap egress better. ;)

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, you guys can keep your helos. I like my version of post-mishap egress better. ;)

Brett

Helo guys think they're "tough" for crashing with the aircraft. I think they're delusional ;) I'll take the party handle any day.