• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual-BAH?

red_stang65

pilot
My wife is currently living in another city while I'm here in PCola and will probably be so through most of flight training. Since I haven't PCSed to Milton yet, I'm still collecting per diem and married BAH for where she is.

Does anyone know the specifics about the BAH I'll collect once I PCS to Milton? I'm sure you get dual-BAH (a mix of BAH for both locales), but I'm not sure if that's married or single, or a combination of the two. Any takers?

boobcheese

Once you PCS to Milton you should get BAH for Milton at the 'with dependents' rate. No more per diem, no dual BAH.

red_stang65

pilot
How do they expect you to afford two households on the cheaper BAH then? Seems impossible to afford San Diego BAH while only collecting "with dependants" for Milton (a considerable difference).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They dont expect you to afford two households. You can be a geographic bachelor and get San Diego BAH while she lives there and you live in the Q or she moves out to FL with you. That is all the taxpayers will give you.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Since she's not with me, I'm guessing I wouldn't qualify for base housing. Correct?

You won't qualify for base housing in the sense of family housing out at Whiting Pines but you will qualify for the Q on base itself. If you want to keep the wife in San Diego then that would be your best bet for mimizing the financial loss, though you will be living on base.

Why should the government pay you BAH for both places? They expect that, like others have said, you will either move your wife to you and she will live with you or that you will live in the Q and draw BAH for her location.

red_stang65

pilot
I originally asked b/c my last YNC explained that I would draw some combination of BAH for both places. Evidently he was mistaken...Looks like a chat with PSD tomorrow, then.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Unless things have hanged since 2004, you cannot go geo-bachelor. I was in the exact same situation, and it didn't fly. I was leaving my permanent duty station in SD to head to FL for flight school. I was also told I could stay in the Q while I continued to collect SD BAH so my wife could stay in our house and keep her job. After I had accepted the orders and started trying to figure out what I needed to do top keep the aforementioned BAH, I learned that I'd gotten bad info. Because SD is a critical housing area while Pensacola/Milton isn't, you can't continue to collect the larger BAH. They want you to move your family to the area with more readily available (read cheaper) housing. If you were in Milton, and needed to go geo-bachelor to SD, you could keep the Florida BAH and stay in the Q in SD, because the move to SD would put you into a critical housing area, and they'd rather you DIDN'T move your family there. In the long run, we figired it worked out just about the same for my wife to quit her job and move to Florida. The loss of income just about equaled the decrease in the FL cost of living, plus we didn't have long distance bills and plane tickets to worry about. As long as you are in A-pool or API, you can keep your SD BAH, but you may end up paying for your BOQ room. As soon as you PCS to Milton, the gravy train stops. As was said above, they don't really care if you are trying to maintain two households, the Navy is only required to keep you under one roof. It stinks, but that's the reality. Whatever you do, make sure the PSD people in Pensacola are willing to go along with your plan. Ultimately, they are the ones setting up your pay once you get there. I got all kinds of stories from the PSD personnel in SD, along with the SNA detailer, but what they said carried zero weight with the folks in Pensacola. The civilians who will be figuiring out your pay once you get there have been around for eons, and they've probably heard every story already. If it isn't in their little book, it won't happen. Good luck with your move, and PM me if you have any questions.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Unless things have hanged since 2004, you cannot go geo-bachelor. I was in the exact same situation, and it didn't fly. I was leaving my permanent duty station in SD to head to FL for flight school. I was also told I could stay in the Q while I continued to collect SD BAH so my wife could stay in our house and keep her job. After I had accepted the orders and started trying to figure out what I needed to do top keep the aforementioned BAH, I learned that I'd gotten bad info. Because SD is a critical housing area while Pensacola/Milton isn't, you can't continue to collect the larger BAH. They want you to move your family to the area with more readily available (read cheaper) housing. If you were in Milton, and needed to go geo-bachelor to SD, you could keep the Florida BAH and stay in the Q in SD, because the move to SD would put you into a critical housing area, and they'd rather you DIDN'T move your family there. In the long run, we figired it worked out just about the same for my wife to quit her job and move to Florida. The loss of income just about equaled the decrease in the FL cost of living, plus we didn't have long distance bills and plane tickets to worry about. As long as you are in A-pool or API, you can keep your SD BAH, but you may end up paying for your BOQ room. As soon as you PCS to Milton, the gravy train stops. As was said above, they don't really care if you are trying to maintain two households, the Navy is only required to keep you under one roof. It stinks, but that's the reality. Whatever you do, make sure the PSD people in Pensacola are willing to go along with your plan. Ultimately, they are the ones setting up your pay once you get there. I got all kinds of stories from the PSD personnel in SD, along with the SNA detailer, but what they said carried zero weight with the folks in Pensacola. The civilians who will be figuiring out your pay once you get there have been around for eons, and they've probably heard every story already. If it isn't in their little book, it won't happen. Good luck with your move, and PM me if you have any questions.

Only possible change from that would be if Pensacola is his first duty station...know a lot of Marines who Geo'd in Quantico since it was their first duty station and they were able to get through it...though I could be wrong...check with PSD

Penguin - good gouge, thorough...

im pretty sure you will just get your standard BAH. the dual BAH only applies to over seas deployments. for ex: my mother is a navy nurse stationed in naples, italy. she gets BAH for italy, and BAH for norfolk, where my step dad lives.

Ben_Dover

I have a roommate who has a wife still in San Diego due to her job and a house they own there. While being stationed here (a 3 year tour) he is still receiving BAH for San Diego. Unless he is scamming the system (which I don't think he is), there are ways to continue your San Diego BAH.