• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drug Use in the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgeorge

Hi folks, this is a cross post from another forum, but I wanted to get your opinion:

Hello.. I am currently filling out the (looong) forms for security clearence.
I am a good candidate, overall, as far as the recruitment officer tells me, but I am concerned about drug use in my past.

I have used marijuana countless times since I was 17, but haven't used any in the last three months, and only once in the last 9 months. I was never what you would call a hard-core pothead, mostly just a weekend partier, and there were many times when I would go months or even years between usages.

So would my past be a barrier to my becoming an officer?

I have been told conflicting information regarding this.. some people have told me that any drug use will preclude me from candidacy, others have said that as long as you are honest with them and haven't used any in the last 6 months that you are OK.

Any information would be helpful..

Thanks,
Ben

jwnole

You NEVER smoked pot. Understand. Tell all of your friends. Tell your priest. You never even wanted to. Drugs are bad.

jason12

yea man, weed what?? marijuana who??? never heard of it, stick with that and you're good, just don't sneek a quarter or a half into the base and you'll be fine

unfUSN

Originally posted by kabttu
have to agree with them..unless you were arrested for it or something..never happened

Very interesting advice from the future leaders of America!

Not to sound like an ass. But if you smoked countless times and you admitt to that than you are out. I was an Officer recruiter and that's the real deal. No more than a handful of times and you are not considered. And if you did anything other than pot it's over! No magic numbers for anything else.

You are stuck... if you admitt to smoking countless times you are out! Anything other than pot (more than 3-5 times) and you are out.
If you go for a TS clearance they will interview friends, family, teachers, people that your friends tell them you knew... etc. I think pilots only need a Secret clearance... so you might luck out.

Good luck... maybe you need to redefine countless...

ENS Payne

One cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war
- Albert Einstein

frogggystyle

Admit nothing, deny everything.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

bgeorge

Well. Thanks for your advice y'all.. This really sucks.. I just talked to another friend who said that he denied it, but then they asked his friends and family and someone told them. He was denied clearence and ended up being assigned as base fireman.

I really hate lying.. I'm not that good at it..

Goliath112

"scenario 1"

Interviewer: Have you ever done drugs other than the prescription type?

BoyGeorge: I've used marijuana countless times!

Interviewer: NEXT

"Scenario 2"

Interviewer: Have you ever done drugs other than the prescription type?

BoyGeorge: Never touched the stuff. Anybody who says I have is a LIAR and CHEAT

Interviewer: tell me more about yourself?

"end scenario"

are you a 1 or a 2.

PeacoatMan

I was told to be honest by a number of military personnel. However, be as politically correct as possible -- you may have done it "countless times" ... but really, you can only remember a handful of occasions, right? Make a statement in the EPSQ of your stance on drugs and drug abuse -- you will never use them again.

Capice?

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Thats right... forget your values. Just remember that when you sacrifice your integrity, you've just lost every bit of moral authority you have (or are hoping to have) as an officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.