• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dropping from 12 to 10 airwings

osu33

This may be well known already, but I couldn't find anything posted before about it. Could this mean less SNA/SNFO slots in the future?:eek:

Aerospace Daily & Defense Report
February 24, 2006

Navy's No. 2 Leader Says Service Committed To 10 Aircraft Carrier Air Wings

The U.S. Navy is committed to maintaining 10 aircraft carrier wings, according to Adm. Robert Willard, vice chief of naval operations.

The recently completed 2006 Quadrennial Defense Review calls for reducing the number of carriers from 12 to 11, which Willard says is "adequate." But "we intend to hold to 10 air wings," he adds, noting 10 carrier air wings "is a key factor" in meeting Navy goals of maintaining a continuous carrier forward presence while having the ability to dispatch a "surge" of six carriers in emergencies.

However, the Navy must overcome funding hurdles to keep those 10 wings adequately equipped in a time of budget constraints. Willard, a naval aviator and former aircraft carrier commander, notes that much of the Navy's F/A-18 fleet is aging and "we're trying to extend their life a bit to try and bridge the gap" until the Joint Strike Fighter comes on line in 2013 or 2014. The Navy is seeking funding in fiscal 2007 to replace 30 older F/A-18s with newer F/A-18Es and 18-Fs.

In remarks Feb. 22 at a gathering of the Naval Aviation Foundation, Willard said the "cornerstone of our future Naval air force" will include the JSF, the E/A-18G Growler, "which will be key to insuring [the] Navy remains pre-eminent in airborne electronic attack." Rotary wing aircraft and unmanned aircraft "play an ever increasing role in our future," Willard added.

On other topics, Willard said Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Mullen believes the Navy electronic warfare community "and specifically our aviators" could help in the campaign against improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which have caused so many casualties in Iraq. He said the Navy is using a variety of technologies, including jammers, to work through the IED threat. The Navy EA6 community will provide nearly 300 electronic warfare experts to Iraq and Afghanistan to try to assist in spectrum management and other IED warfare issues.

"There are a lot of options still on the table" to replace the capability lost when the airborne common sensor program was cut, Willard says, adding that the Navy is looking at other airframes that might work with the intelligence payload.

--John M. Doyle

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
osu33 said:
On other topics, Willard said Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Mullen believes the Navy electronic warfare community "and specifically our aviators" could help in the campaign against improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which have caused so many casualties in Iraq. He said the Navy is using a variety of technologies, including jammers, to work through the IED threat. The Navy EA6 community will provide nearly 300 electronic warfare experts to Iraq and Afghanistan to try to assist in spectrum management and other IED warfare issues.
So much for OPSEC. I guess the cat is out of the proverbial bag. Last time I checked (yesterday), this was a Codeword Op. I guess being CNO has its perks. :D

Brett

B

Blutonski816

I dunno how long it may have been considered a no-no due to OPSEC, but I've of using Prowlers against IEDs in Iraq a while back, can't remember where just heard about it some time late last year...

Maybe some people didn't get the memo...

I'm assuming that's what you're referring to, brett...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Since VAQWING put it out about two months ago without clearing it at a Navy League function. Not smart. Since then it showed up in Aviation Leak.

B

Blutonski816

Pugs said:
Since VAQWING put it out about two months ago without clearing it at a Navy League function. Not smart. Since then it showed up in Aviation Leak.

I can imagine that somebody may have been relieved of their Kneecaps for that??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
I can imagine that somebody may have been relieved of their Kneecaps for that??
Unless you're an O-6 with Commodore as part of your job description. RHIP. :D

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
No change in number of airwings. We had 10 airwings for 12 carriers before and now we will have 10 airwings for 11 carriers. Note the word "maintaining".

As for the EA stuff, well, some of us can keep our mouths shut.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
No change in number of airwings. We had 10 airwings for 12 carriers before and now we will have 10 airwings for 11 carriers. Note the word "maintaining".

As for the EA stuff, well, some of us can keep our mouths shut.

I miss the A6........really good airshow bird.....nice and loud at MRP.....

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
make it count......it goes by fast.....then you be old......
I think what Pickle was subtly trying to say is that this thread was DEAD for 9 years until you brought it back to life.....The information is somewhat dated...then your random comment about the intruder....which by the way has been DOA since around 1997.

rotorhead1871

pilot
I think what Pickle was subtly trying to say is that this thread was DEAD for 9 years until you brought it back to life.....The information is somewhat dated...then your random comment about the intruder....which by the way has been DOA since around 1997.

cool...i like bring things back from the dead....when I was in P3's (reserve VP4046) at NAS whidbey we had some A6 drivers...they were great, kinda landed flat and sometimes blew a nose wheel tire or 2...

miss the A6....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of VSI would be required to completely compress a P-3 nose gear strut, and then blow the tire?

rotorhead1871

pilot
What kind of VSI would be required to completely compress a P-3 nose gear strut, and then blow the tire?

not sure.....probably the same sink rate a A6 saw when it hit the boat??....I think it was more a fact of landing flat, putting the landing weight on the nose, instead of the main mounts...it did not damage the strut as I remember, just fowled the runway for a while...