• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drinking and driving.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Not sure where this question falls but if I I'm staying on base and want to go grab a beer or two with the wife off base does that mean I have to cab it? Florida is .08 before you are considered UTI does that hold true for the base as well or does zero tolerance mean .00 no questions asked? Hopjacks is looking pretty solid but I don't want to screw up this new gig.

Thanks

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Florida is .08 before you are considered UTI
Not really the way it works here in Florida. All it takes is a failed field sobriety test (designed to make you fail) and the cop can get you for DUI even if you are under the state limit (and that changes on WHY you were stopped, moving violation vs accident, etc).

DUI (Driving Under the Influence of Alcoholic Beverages, Chemical Substances or Controlled Substances). s. 316.193, F.S. Under Florida law, DUI is one offense, proved by impairment of normal faculties or unlawful blood alcohol or breath alcohol level of .08 or above. The penalties upon conviction are the same, regardless of the manner in which the offense is proven.

With the police officer writing that ticket, impounding your car (if no one is on scene to drive it), and you get a trip to lockup (honey can you post bail?). Then THAT process opens up two different battles that you would have to fight (1) get the charges dropped by the prosecutor (better hire a good lawyer and hope the prosecutor has a heavy case load) and (2) fight the administrative half with the DMV and license suspension. They are two different animals, and even if a prosecutor drops the case the administrative side can continue and pull your drivers license. They do have an appeal process though.

Just don't get caught in the misconception that "hey, I only had two drinks, I am good to go, I am UNDER BAC .08!!", if pulled over after drinking you can still get hit with DUI and have to spend $$$$$ getting out of the mess. I have dealt with this as a legal officer while in the Navy and seen some of my sailors get DUIs above/below the limit out in town, and also some friends that have had to go through it also. I am all about risk avoidance when in a profession (Navy/airlines) that has zero tolerance for DUIs and career/livelihood impacts. If I drink, someone else is driving my ass home (thanks honey!) or we are cabbing it.

Not sure where this question falls but if I I'm staying on base and want to go grab a beer or two with the wife off base does that mean I have to cab it? Florida is .08 before you are considered UTI does that hold true for the base as well or does zero tolerance mean .00 no questions asked? Hopjacks is looking pretty solid but I don't want to screw up this new gig.

Thanks
Also many bases (all?) have a BAC limit of 0.05

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you can't afford a cab fare from NAS to downtown as an Ensign, well, yeah. It's not that much and it's cheap insurance. Made that cab ride many times in my O-1hood.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought the Federal/DoN limit was .08. Did it go down...again? This is why I drink water at command functions.
I am too lazy to google it, I just recall it being different than out in town (IE lower).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also many bases (all?) have a BAC limit of 0.05

I thought the Federal/DoN limit was .08. Did it go down...again? This is why I drink water at command functions.

Federal law BAC is .08%. If there are more restrictive rules on some bases I would be curious to know just how legal that really is.

or convince the wife to be the DD

Some take a little less convincing than others while some are just blessed in the first place.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Just don't get caught in the misconception that "hey, I only had two drinks, I am good to go, I am UNDER BAC .08!!", if pulled over after drinking you can still get hit with DUI and have to spend $$$$$ getting out of the mess.
Exactly!

mad dog - former City of Cincinnati Police Officer

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
BTW, most bases have an agreement with local law enforcement...you get popped on base and you get to spend the night in city jail...with city implications. The two are not mutually exclusive.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Better yet, just don't live on base.
Staying at the lodge this weekend on a house hunting trip. She drove me home and all is well with the world. Signed for a place in ferry pass just didn't know the rules of the road per se if I was to ever end up on base in this situation in the future. Thanks again for the insight and wisdom and hopefully others benefited as well.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BTW, most bases have an agreement with local law enforcement...you get popped on base and you get to spend the night in city jail...with city implications. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Yeah. But the general rule with the region legal is if it happens on base the military will adjudicate it. Off base let the town handle it. I know there are exceptions to the rule but region generally speaking won't seek to go after a service member twice. (Posting for the benefit of junior bubbas that may not know this)