• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dr Frank Dully “Sex and the Naval Aviator”

thebluto

pilot
None
RIP CAPT Frank E. Dully, Jr.

Some of us were shown his video, sarcastically titled, “Sex and the Naval Aviator”, a safety video that talked about the psychology involved in our business and why some of us fail. (Can’t find that video anywhere. But, there is a link to one of his videos below and a link to a USAF video made of one of his colleague below)

https://www.fbnewsleader.com/obitua...qKCj9EPMdWoeecJXkrNKIklSPnwfEURsElPMw6f6K9q2Q

Renegade One

None
Well, I can tell you that the original video didn't exactly sit well when it was shown to groups of squadron wives. Their takeaway was something like: "So...let me see if I've got this right. You screw up while flying and kill yourself and it's MY fault?!?"

Bilbo7562

Renegade One, you missed the point. That was not Dr. Dully's message. It's not about blame for failure, it's about explaining limitations and tendencies. The message for wives in that video was, "Regardless of how spontaneous your husband appears to be (or that you think he is), he is nonetheless a person with completely predictable behavior. My wife was enlightened by that study of Naval Aviators. She had her "Aha" moment and packed her bags cause she didn't like the realization that she married a fun (funny and witty) guy with no "Real Two." She had seen enough and split. If truth be told, she wasn't well liked in the Wives' Club anyway, but she gave up knowing that things were not going to change much in the next 40 years of marriage. And to "thebluto," it wasn't sarcastically named that, it was done in an entertaining and alluring fashion - to get people's attention, instead of calling it "Why Naval Aviators Fail."

bblack

I saw this filmed lecture when it first came out, and I remember the impact it had; in the Navy, in the squadrons and among the wives. The problem with describing it now is one of historical perspective with respect to all three groups.

First: The Navy. All changes in Navy policy are forced. As a result, they normally come about very late, and most new rules are written in blood. That was especially the case with the creation of the Naval Aviation Safety Program, which began in 1951, but wasn’t fully established for almost two decades.

And resistance to Aviation Safety dragged on for a long, long time. I can still remember walking into my Ops O’s office for a briefing before a carrier mission in the early 80s and seeing a sign on his desk that read “Safety is a Pimple on the Ass of Progress.” For most of us, safety was little more than a pledge we made to one another while nursing a beer in the O-Club that we would somehow get through our careers without being mentioned by Grandpa Pettibones.

The Air Force was the service that began applying “wild and crazy” innovations to the area of safety (such as the inclusion of psychological factors in accident investigation), but there was little chance that Navy and Marine Corps commanders would be swayed by such “outside” ideas. However, as mishap rates kept rising after combat operations ended in Viet Nam, there were few excuses left not to at least try exploring modernization in the field. That became an opening for people like Dr. Dully to get his ideas out there.

It’s hard to describe how new and cutting-edge the notion was, since it has long been an ingrained part of almost every modern professional aviator. Many of us back then already did it, but nobody had ever put a name to the concept. It was compartmentalization. Pilots had problems, just like everybody. Problems at home, problems with the spouse, problems with the kids, even problems in the bedroom. But when that person got into the cockpit of a tactical aircraft, those problems couldn’t go along for the ride. They had to stay behind. Pilots were being told that they had to psychologically divorce themselves of everything else that mattered to them (to the greatest degree possible) until they safely completed the current aviation mission.

I believe that the idea forced many squadron commanders to become more cognizant of their flyers’ personal lives, and many of them began looking for clues that aircrew members might not be able to give the necessary attention to detail that aviation demanded.

I don’t know whose bright idea it was to show it to the spouses, but the “new” notion was easily misconstrued. Being told someone should “forget” about their soul-mate for any length of time did not set well with some of those mates. But the vast majority of spouses understood the concept, and they just wanted to get their loved ones back home at the end of the day (or the cruise).

Bruce Black

Random8145

Renegade One, you missed the point. That was not Dr. Dully's message. It's not about blame for failure, it's about explaining limitations and tendencies. The message for wives in that video was, "Regardless of how spontaneous your husband appears to be (or that you think he is), he is nonetheless a person with completely predictable behavior. My wife was enlightened by that study of Naval Aviators. She had her "Aha" moment and packed her bags cause she didn't like the realization that she married a fun (funny and witty) guy with no "Real Two." She had seen enough and split. If truth be told, she wasn't well liked in the Wives' Club anyway, but she gave up knowing that things were not going to change much in the next 40 years of marriage. And to "thebluto," it wasn't sarcastically named that, it was done in an entertaining and alluring fashion - to get people's attention, instead of calling it "Why Naval Aviators Fail."
Well there's that age-old saying, "A woman marries a man thinking she can change him and she can't. A man marries a woman hoping she won't change and she does."

Random8145

It’s hard to describe how new and cutting-edge the notion was, since it has long been an ingrained part of almost every modern professional aviator.
How could Naval Aviation, which had to launch planes off of ships, and with catapults after the jet age began, NOT have much of a culture on safety? You'd think Naval Aviation would've set the standard on that. I can understand not incorporating psychological factors until later, as the importance of those wasn't understood as much in the past.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
How could Naval Aviation, which had to launch planes off of ships, and with catapults after the jet age began, NOT have much of a culture on safety? You'd think Naval Aviation would've set the standard on that. I can understand not incorporating psychological factors until later, as the importance of those wasn't understood as much in the past.
Have you ever met some of these people?