• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOR and IA

CaliStyle

He said its actually quite intriguing, and he's had some pretty long conversations about political philosophy with local shieks and heads of townships. he seems to be right in the thick of things. not bad for an ex-nuke turned nationbuilder. welcome to the new navy.

That actually sounds really interesting. Sounds better then being on a sub

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I don't know...but for a Navy guy...it doesn't sound real promising.:eek:
In Army-speak, a battle captain tends to be a watch officer in a Tactical Operations Center (TOC) or equivalent that essentially minds the store for the CO; best analog is OOD underway. Hard charging infantry types hate the job, since it takes them off the lines and puts them in a staff position. All things considered, probably among the better IA jobs out there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Obligation time should start on the day you received your commission, and your STUCON doesn't have any say over that.

Not true. Arrangements can and have been made in the past.

As for DOR/Attrites going IA, there have been instances in the recent past. Like everything else, it depends on timing. If they have one that can take a O-1/O-2 and you're qualified to fill the job, they may give it to you.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Sure, but they have to reeeeally not like you to up your obligation. Hell, I spent more than a year in the pool, and I refuse to feel guilty.

Also my fingers are all raisiny.

snizo

Supply Officer
gatordev - I can't see how that would happen without the member going along with it. Your service obligation is based on a legal contract, and while I don't remember much of the specific wording in mine, something like "we can change your commitment whenever we want" would have stood out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
gatordev - I can't see how that would happen without the member going along with it. Your service obligation is based on a legal contract, and while I don't remember much of the specific wording in mine, something like "we can change your commitment whenever we want" would have stood out.

Nonetheless, it happens. Reread your contract. You owe 8 years after commissioning. Should they desire, they can get it all out of you.

BT BT

I'm just talking history here. I don't mean to sound like I know what's going on with CaliStyle. What happens between he and his STUCON is between them.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Mine reads five after commissioning, eight after winging, with the stipulation that a time of war may extend that time indefinitely. At least that's what I signed. Those without wings would only reasonably expect to spend the rest of the five years on IED foot patrol vice the eight, since extending that committment without a warfare specialty is useless for the Department.

snizo

Supply Officer
Nonetheless, it happens. Reread your contract. You owe 8 years after commissioning. Should they desire, they can get it all out of you.

BT BT

I'm just talking history here. I don't mean to sound like I know what's going on with CaliStyle. What happens between he and his STUCON is between them.

I'm just surprised, is all. Things tend to be pretty straightforward and in the pubs - don't remember seeing or hearing about that. Would be interested to know what "program" they did that under (i.e. involuntary recall to active service for reservists, or something).

highlyrandom - theoretically, they woul dbe redesignated to another community. They don't keep 1305's around indefinitely these days to fill in whatever jobs come along.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
highlyrandom, I'm guessing your contract doesn't say 5 years. It says 5 years w/ x years IRR. That's the key part. They still own you, should they desire.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Mine reads five after commissioning, eight after winging, with the stipulation that a time of war may extend that time indefinitely. At least that's what I signed. Those without wings would only reasonably expect to spend the rest of the five years on IED foot patrol vice the eight, since extending that committment without a warfare specialty is useless for the Department.

Actually, it says eight years after commissioning, but only five of those years are on active duty. The rest are as a reservist (not sure if drilling or inactive), but the Navy can always make you active for the remaining three years.

It may be a bit different due to commissioning source, but it's essentially the same regardless of total length.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
What's a 1305? Yeah it's prolly 5 w/IRR but I tend to ignore that, as it has to do with the Academy contract...by the time I finish 8 years from wings, it'll be 10 out of commissioning, and I'll either do a combat typewriter stint with the Army to earn an O-4 billet or be forced to retire. At least that's how the community brief went.

snizo

Supply Officer
but the Navy can always make you active for the remaining three years.

Not on a whim from IRR. Only in "time of war or national emergency according to 10 USC" (MILPERSMAN).

1305 is the designator code for a flight school attrite. "General aviation"

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Not on a whim from IRR. Only in "time of war or national emergency according to 10 USC" (MILPERSMAN).

1305 is the designator code for a flight school attrite. "General aviation"
<threadjack>
1305 = USNR genav.
1300 = USN genav.
<end threadjack>

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
RetreadRand said:
Brett, I think it is the
"he's gonna marry the first girl he lays...and she's gonna treat him like sh!t" syndrome

Threadjack:

"Bueller... Bueller... Bueller..."

teacher.jpg

/Threadjack