• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't get disenrolled from NROTC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
virtu050,
Count yourself as one of the lucky ones. From what I hear there won't be any OCS aviation slots until Summer of 2004.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Phiman

I was just wondering if yall have heard anything about service selections. From what I've heard this last one aviation slots were pretty hard to come by. And I know every time is different but I was wondering if yall have heard anything about the up and coming ones. Reason is I've got to select in October and I'm getting a little worried. Thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are a Navy Option, make sure you have at least (bare Mins) 5's on your ASTB scores. If you have anything below that, you will NOT be competitive for selection. Forty percent (40%) of your selection is based on your ASTB scores (For NROTC), so it is imparative that you have good ASTB score. If not, study and take the test again before service selection. Here's the Service selection breakdown for NROTC folks:
27 % - Cum GPA
21 % - CNET Adjusted Aptitude GPA
6 % - Academic Major
(Tech Major - 100%)
(Science & Math - 87.5%)
(Non-Tech - 75%)
15 % - AQR Score
25 % - PFAR (Pilot) or FOFAR (NFO) Score
100% - Total

So, you see that it is important to get good grades (GPA) and do well on the ASTB. So study hard and good luck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

Originally posted by Phiman
I was just wondering if yall have heard anything about service selections. From what I've heard this last one aviation slots were pretty hard to come by. And I know every time is different but I was wondering if yall have heard anything about the up and coming ones. Reason is I've got to select in October and I'm getting a little worried. Thanks.

K-Ron

Your aptitude scores through the Fall of your 1/C year is statistically adjusted by CNET to normalize the subjective grading differences in the 65 NROTC units.

Phiman

Ok, another question then. How do they look at it all? Do they only look at a certain GPA and above and then look at the rest of the scores, or do they compile all of the data and set a cutting score or what? Thanks.

K-Ron

Each package has a score associated with it. This score is determined by the formula given above by ea6bflyr. Slots are assigned from highest score to lowest. The number of people accepted depends on the needs of the navy at the time of selection. There is a good deal of luck involved. If the Navy needs 150 pilots at that time; they select the 150 highest scores. One time this might include lower scores. No one can tell you that you need at least ##% to be competitive. How high of a score you need depends on many unknown variables. How many will the Navy select this time? How many people applied? What's the average score of those who did apply? I know people with a 2.6 GPA who are flying their butts off right now. I know people with a 3.3 who ended up driving ships. GPA matters, but it's not used as a cutoff. So study and kick ass on the ASTB, make your battalion think your the greatest since sliced bread, and make some grades. I wouldn't worry so much about the technical/non-technical major so much. It's only 6%; so getting a 2.5 in Engineering because you hate it is not going to make up for a 3.5 in underwater basket weaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.