• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't be that guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Got a story for you future pilots...

My father lives in Bluffton, SC about 30 min's from MCAS Beaufort...Being an admin. for a local fire/rescue dept. and firefighter/paramedic he jumped at the chance to go to the airstation and visit the Marine Corps fire crews. On his visit the guys told him a story this...

A new hornet pilot practicing traps on the 'dummy' runway came in from the wrong direction...needless to say when he hooked the arresting wire...it arrested the whole damn plane...the wire got jammed at high tension and the ground/fire crew had to secure the line and then cut it (still at high tension, hook attached)...now someone who knows more can tell you how thick those cables are, but needless to say its not something you wanna do. Everything turned out ok...well accept for the major damage to the landing gear/hydraulics.

I'm sure someone got his arse chewed on...
Don't be that guy.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Of course you're right...LCpls and Cpls AND even SGT's telling stories can certainly not be full of pertinent detail...in any event when they have to come out and cut and arresting wire that is at high tension its somebody or somethings fault...I'm not drilled on how the gear works. ON a carrier I'm sure you're right about being able to trap in either direction. This could be because the carrier could be traveling with the wind or against it...however, I would imagine that wind on the coast blows generally in the same direction (something to with windward/leeward, you know the f'n mtns')...I'm not a meteorologist either (prolly wouldn't help anyway). The point being the gear could be simplified on the "CARRIER BOX." (thanks for correcting my terminology)

I trust my father not to feed me BS, so unless Marines like to make a lot of stories up for civilians in a similiar field just to be in dick measuring contest, then I believe it...Whether you do or don't is up to you and your judgement/experience (i.e. I could care less)...You're in Advanced so if you tell me its BS then I guess then OK, fine...

Oh and about "arresting the whole damn plane." ARREST has more than the meaning in your syllabus...it was meant to imply that the plane was stuck due to the lack of give in the direction the plane landed...i.e. a more than usual sudden stop and the wire not be able to relax therefore the hook still hung on the tense wire...ARRESTED. I believe in literature it would be referred to as a 'play on words.'

I'm just a silly civilian at this point...forgive me.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Easy now! No one's calling you a liar or questioning your story. It's to be understood that words are lost in translation! It just gets to a point where once a story comes back around to someone well-educated in the field, so much is lost it just leaves more questions!

Skid27

Sounds like someone was yanking your Dad's chain. Beufort has bi E-28. ARFF (firefighters) has nothing to do with arresting gear in the Marine Corps. Recovery section handles that, and I don't think they would cut E-28 cable under tension. I would guess they could release the purchase tape if the retract engine couldn't engage. I've never heard of that, so maybe someone else knows what they would do.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i'm sure some pertinent info was left out in the second & third hand telling of that story ... no reason to jump on this fellas case though.

when you guys get to the fleet as a pilot you will be privy to the message traffic which includes confidential info about mishaps, info that isn't released to the public ... once you read some of these reports, you will be amazed (and shocked) at the dumb-sh1t things that pilots did in order to cause that incident ...

semper fi

Skid27

What is the DTG of the SIR? I would like to read the background to this incident you are talking about.

Ray

I've taken a field trap on E-28 gear and its no where near as violent as an arrestment on the boat. You can actualy use power in a T-45 to pay out all the cable and damage the gear engine at the field. Don't think you can do it at the boat unless they set the tension wrong I guess. I'm having a tough time understanding what actually occurred. An engagement from the opposite way is perfectly legit though if the pilot took the long field gear. But in all seriousness I've never heard of practicing catching a wire at the field. Thats pretty much only emergencies. I'd like to hear the real story too.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
just a little info. You cant trap both ways on a carrier.

Dave

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Ok, you all I'll see my dad face to face and maybe even get a 'tour' of the base fire outfit a week before X-mas...I'll ask him about it again and try to clear up what happened...Like I said I'm no expert, but thought it was an interesting story, especially for something a winged pilot is said to have done...

Ray

We aren't knocking your dad or your story. We are all just interested in what happend and want to know more about it. Thats all. You'd be surprised at the stupid stuff winged pilots will do.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Ray, its all good...I'm not that sensitive.

As for what I said about junior enlisted personnel it wasn't a slam or anything, but I know how younger guys like to tell stories...if you tell me that young Marines are different, ok. But I've been 19,20,21 not so long ago. Of course, I don't 'know,' I believe that was purpose of the second quote reference right Crowbar???

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
EOD Dave...how can planes trap both ways on a carrier? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you came in fore to aft, even if you caught the four, I'm still pretty sure you'd be hanging by straps while the aft lookouts wondered why a big gray jet was hanging off the back of the ship.

Am I misunderstaning something here? Keep in mind you're talking to a shoe, so please be sensitive.

Dustball

2nd LT
Road Program said:
EOD Dave...how can planes trap both ways on a carrier? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you came in fore to aft, even if you caught the four, I'm still pretty sure you'd be hanging by straps while the aft lookouts wondered why a big gray jet was hanging off the back of the ship.

Am I misunderstaning something here? Keep in mind you're talking to a shoe, so please be sensitive.

You gotta RTFQ. He said CAN'T trap both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.