• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Doing 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumper

Anyone know what percentage of aviators stick around past their initial obligation? I heard that about 1 in 3 make O-4 and stay through to retirement. Are the numbers the same for the Marine Corps? How about between the different airframes?

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
All I know is that if I get accepted, I'll go as far as the Navy will let me.

They'll have to "encourage" me to leave.

My uncle was "encouraged" to leave early after he was denied O-5 twice. He has been bored and uninterested with every job he has ever had since.

Wishes he had kissed some butt or something at this point.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I wouldn't worry about that. Numbers can change drastically between now and then, but I'm pretty sure more than 1 in 3 make LCDR. MSU's example is a good one, except if you get passed over twice now, you aren't "encouraged", you're done.

I know alot of people are driven by the 1/2 pay after 20, but if that's your motivation, it's going to be a long 20 years. You may think you're going career, but a lot can happen between now and then.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
OracleMSU said:
On that note of being passed over twice, are there people that never make Lt?

About the only way you can be denied LT is if you take a crap on your skipper's desk, or try to maliciously kill someone. LTJG and LT are automatic, especially in aviation, because you won't hit the fleet until you're a JG. You go up for LCDR at the 10 year point.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
my dad who was in for 32 years was telling me the other day, basically to get LT, all you need is a pulse, as long as you dont do anything stupid, like guy said.

DairyCreamer

I suspect it's a reference to your pension after serving 20 years in the military... supposedly 50% of your pre-retirement salary. I figured government pensions were a little more than that though?

~Nate

spr said:
What is the 1/2 pay after 20 years ThisGuy was talking about?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
DairyCreamer said:
I suspect it's a reference to your pension after serving 20 years in the military... supposedly 50% of your pre-retirement salary. I figured government pensions were a little more than that though?

~Nate

Nothing supposedly about it. After 20 years, you get 50% of your base pay (no allowances or special pays). With each year after that tacking on 2.5% for a maximum of 75% after 30 years.

As for gov't pensions being higher, what are you comparing to? You can't get jack after 20 years in the civilian sector. Firemen and cops get 50% after 20.

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
i think civillian air traffic controllers are better then 50%, but i'm willing to be wrong on that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There was a time when they reduced it to 40% at 20, but it was so unpopular, they basically brought back the old system. The whole military is on the same plan--50% at 20, plus 2 1/2% for every year thereafter to a max of 75% at 30 years. Most people don't make 30, either by choice, or by missing 2 promotions by that time. As an officer, you'd have to make O-6 to make 30 w/out enlisted time.

Status
Not open for further replies.