• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dogs and cats living together, or at least cooperating against Iran

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article7148555.ece

So maybe the Saudis aren't so keen on the whole Dar al-Islam thing anyhow. At least not when the fellow members of the umma are Shi'a, and threatening to lob nukes over their heads. Go figure.

Sunni's and Shi'a hate each other, and have for centuries. Each believes that they are the true followers of Islam while the other is barely a step above the infidels. The Saudi's aren't only worried about nukes getting lobed over their heads... they are worried about nukes getting lobed on them as well.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The sad part of this whole situation is that very few people in America realize how close to full on war this situation is close to reaching. BP, the Gore's separating, looming midterm elections... This is a very big deal (not the over flight, necessarily) - the region is a lot closer to a military show down with Iran than people may care to admit.

exhelodrvr

pilot
ANd those who have been saying not to be concerned about the potential for an Iranian bomb show their cluelessness.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sunni's and Shi'a hate each other, and have for centuries. Each believes that they are the true followers of Islam while the other is barely a step above the infidels. The Saudi's aren't only worried about nukes getting lobed over their heads... they are worried about nukes getting lobed on them as well.
Shi'as and Sunnis in Islam are like the Catholics and the Protestants. In some areas, they get along and in other areas they kill each other. Though their split involves the murder of one of Muhammad's grandsons, not just the nailing of theses to a door. Still, I'd submit that the average Saudi cleric or Iranian Ayatollah probably hates Israel more their counterpart across the Persian/Arabian Gulf. Though it may be a near thing.

We've never been prepared properly for war. The first Gulf War being the one possible exception. Rumsfeld did his level best to dork away OIF/OEF. Vietnam is self-explanatory. We couldn't end Korea. We tried like hell to stay out of WWI and WWII. The Civil War and Spanish-American wars had to have the Army ballooned by volunteers and/or draftees. We almost lost the War of 1812.

Heck, Washington was a fog-assisted retreat away from losing the Revolution in 1776.

The Turkey thing worries me. I wonder if Europe realizes they may have another war brewing on their doorstep just like they did 15-20 years ago.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... very few people in American realize how close to full on war this situation is ...
Unless something changes in the next 2-3 months ... I see no other result other than the Jews goin' 'downtown' ...

I wish it were not the case; I just don't see any other option.

Get your money into cash.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm kinda lost on the point you're making ... please help an old man out.
I was lamenting the fact that, as a nation, we always seem to get caught with our proverbial pants down when the next "big one" erupts, and people get killed fixing it. Maybe it's just human nature that no one really wants a war, combined with our political system. So when people worry about other people not seeing the coming storm, well, according to our history it's par for the course.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was lamenting the fact that, as a nation, we always seem to get caught with our proverbial pants down when the next "big one" erupts ...

Then there's that thing about being isolated by a lot of water. (The British Isles haven't been invaded since 1066. It hasn't been quite that long for us but it's been longer than living memory.)

Back to the present, Ahmadinejad quaintly summarized the current situation with his comment about a used handkerchief.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately for the Israelis I am not sure even a large strike against Iran would have that much effect, the Israeli's were not the only ones who learned lessons from Osirak. With targets supposedly spread throughout the country and in facilities that could supposedly withstand everything that Israel drops on them, just how much is there to gain from an attack? Especially given the probable consequences?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately for the Israelis I am not sure even a large strike against Iran would have that much effect, the Israeli's were not the only ones who learned lessons from Osirak. ....
Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're right ... not because it's YOU, Slash (sic), but because I'm afraid we and the Jews have let too much time run off the clock playing prevent defense for all the wrong reasons.

Now the only options left other than allowing a nuke-armed-Iran to emerge seem to be 'tough' ones ... ain't that the way it always is ... ?? War really is hell.

I'm just not sure that if 'we' do nothing except try to contain 'em, we can live with that result, either.

exhelodrvr

pilot
What a strike will do is give the Iranians a taste of what will come if they continue with the program. That may or may not deter them, but it is clear to Israel that the U.S. and Europe support for them is weakening, while Iran is getting stronger militarily, Hezbollah is growing in strength. Israel knows that if they do nothing now they will very probably have to take significant military action in the not-too-distant future. If the "probable consequences" are going to occur anyway, it's worth taking a chance.