• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does welcome home stuff really matter?

beaverslayer

pilot
How would you screen out one and not the other? Dependent ID, maybe, but does that mean only those with spouses and children deserve welcome homes?

They could organize a group and all go in together maybe... have one officer (or president of the wives club or whatever) there to say that all of them are friends or family. It would be more of a pain to organize, but it would allow parents or friends to get through security too. Personally though I think it would make more of a difference when they are leaving, because then you have to wait around at the gate for a while and it would be nice if your family was there. Coming back it's only a difference of the few minutes it takes to walk from the gate to the baggage claim.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Personally though I think it would make more of a difference when they are leaving, because then you have to wait around at the gate for a while and it would be nice if your family was there. Coming back it's only a difference of the few minutes it takes to walk from the gate to the baggage claim.

I found the opposite to be true. I left on two six month deployments from Norfolk International and Mrs. Pags came down to the gate with me for both of them. Having her there made just made it harder. There's not much to talk about at that point and no one is really excited about the prospect of being apart for six months.

It was really nice to have her at the gate when I came home. Those five minutes were important after six months.

While it does suck that security protocols will only let dependents down to the terminal, they have no way of verifying that other people are who they say they are.

beaverslayer

pilot
I found the opposite to be true. I left on two six month deployments from Norfolk International and Mrs. Pags came down to the gate with me for both of them. Having her there made just made it harder. There's not much to talk about at that point and no one is really excited about the prospect of being apart for six months.

Like I said earlier I haven't actually been on deployment yet, so I'll defer to you on this one. I can see what you're saying though. It would be nice to figure out a way to get people other than dependents to the gate too.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
If I were coming back to the US through an airport that wasn't my home base something like that would probably move me to tears. When I finally make it to the place where my bed is, however, I just want to get there ASAP and have a means to do so.

That's kind of what made the greeters at Bangor special. You didn't have the whole "I just want to get the hell out of here and (fill in the blank)" going on because you still had a couple hours of transit time. So that kind of thank you, with little other distraction, right after setting foot back on American soil for the first time in several months, made an impact.

I'm with Pags on having the wife/family around while waiting to go. Both times my wife has kicked me out at the curb, said goodbye and made a hasty exit. It made getting into the deployment frame of mind and the few responsibilities I had that day, that much easier. Having her hanging around watching me while I have things to get done wasn't going to be the goodbye either of us wanted.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
[quote="NavAir42, post: 662073"
I'm with Pags on having the wife/family around while waiting to go. Both times my wife has kicked me out at the curb, said goodbye and made a hasty exit. It made getting into the deployment frame of mind and the few responsibilities I had that day, that much easier. Having her hanging around watching me while I have things to get done wasn't going to be the goodbye either of us wanted.[/quote]

This is how it is from my perspective as well. When it comes time for him to leave, I'm happy to pull up to the curb, unload the car, give him a quick hug and kiss, and then leave him to do his thing. By that point, we've said and done all that needs to be said and done, and prolonging the whole thing would be unpleasant, and sitting in an airport gate for 2 hours would be awkward and painful.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gets even more complicated with fly-on, as the first 2-3 days are CQ. Several times that I've seen, they've CQ'ed the E-2s first and sent a couple back to the beach to free up deck space. Which planes go home depends on state, which pilots finish first, etc. So you don't know when walking to the plane whether you'll see home tonight or 6-7 months from now. I know several wives who told hubby if he comes home tonight, go get a room at the Q; saying goodbye for cruise is hard enough without doing it twice in two days.

Homecoming is a different story. My first deployment, coming home to San Diego, my girlfriend at the time was on westpac and family was all on the east coast. I was flying home for sister's graduation the next day, so I told family it was silly them spending money they didn't really have to come see me when I'd see them next day anyway. Big mistake - after six months, you really want to see someone wating for you on the pier.

Angels

Contributor
For others' info, I'm pretty sure all airlines will let spouses through security both coming and going for a pre-9/11 style send off and return.
Only if it is your first deployment. At least that is SEATAC's policy.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
Letting dependents go through security depends on the airline, how busy security is, and even who us working the counter. I did it a few months back with my two boys when my husband came home for R&R. The guy at the counter didn't want to do it because it is apparently a lot of work on their part. Once I asked to see a manager, he gave in and did it. It was pretty cool because my hubby had no idea we would be at the gate and my 3 year old didnt know we were there to pick up Daddy. We had the entire terminal cheering when they were reunited. My neighbors also decorated our front yard with flags and another neighbor brought over homemade cookies. My husband was really touched.