• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does volunteer service help?

fly2fight25

Fight to Fly....Fly to Fight !!
I'm joining the Civil Air Patrol as a volunteer search and rescue pilot. I was curious if this might add some weight to an OCS package. Is there even a section for volunteer service?

AppleCello

I just filled my application out and sent it in. I can't attest to the weight that volunteer service carries on the app, but there is definitely a space to include it.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
Yes there is a specific section for Extracurricular Activities on the OCS application.

And any "positive" activities are obviously going to add weight to a package. Extracurriculars show the board you like to do things other than sit on your couch and dream of being a fighter pilot. Go over them with your recruiter and they will tell you how to best include them on your application.

And, while the night you spent watching certain shows in Rosarito may be considered extracurricular I would leave them off any professional application. :icon_tong

saltpeter

Since CAP, being a auxillary of the AF, follows military protocal it will definitely benefit your application. The more involved you are the more it will help your application. Being a voluteer pilot shows a higher level of dedication than simply belonging to the organization. Good on ya.

pdx

HSM Pilot
I'm joining the Civil Air Patrol as a volunteer search and rescue pilot. I was curious if this might add some weight to an OCS package. Is there even a section for volunteer service?

Most definitely. This won't make up for a bad ASTB/GPA/LOR, but it is a big positive. They are looking for "well rounded" candidates, and community involvement is always a big plus. If every extra-curricular activity involves aviation, that is probably not well rounded. Play some sports, belong to some clubs that interest you, fly CAP. An LOR from a CAP superior could be a good thing. Especially if you don't have other military sources. You can play up the leadership aspect too.

fighterpfeif

I am in the same boat, in CAP. I put it down on my application. I took the philosophy of putting down as many activities or organizations that I was associated with as possible. If you are assigned any position within the squadron (ES officer), have any ES Qual (Transport Mission Pilot, SAR/DR Pilot), or are an O-ride pilot I'd put that down as well.