• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does time at school on BDCP count?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was wondering if after you have signed on the dotted line for BDCP, does that time count as time in service. When I was at NAPS I know that the year that is spent there counts toward retirement and makes you an 0-1 over 2 upon graduation from the naval academy. Does this apply for BDCP too? I guess this should be an easy one to answer for the guys that did BDCP.

NavyLonghorn

I know the BDCP time counts towards pay grade time, Im not sure about retierment time. Id kinda like to know that too.

IRfly

None
Yes, the time counts towards longevity as far as pay is concerned.

No, it does not count towards retirement.

Oh, and one more thing...you also accumulate leave while in BDCP. So, if you're in the program for the full two years and, during that time, don't leave CONUS, you go into OCS with 60 days of leave already accumulated.

P.S. If you want to go overseas, find a study program or something beneficial to your education and future as a naval officer and then you can submit a request for a no-cost TAD. I was able to spend two months in Eastern Europe without losing a day of leave.

treybert1

I was told when I first signed for BDCP about 4 years ago that the time does count towards pay AND retirement. My LES has my time in service down as 4 years, and I just got my commission last November.

nugget81

pilot
My recruiter also said that BDCP time counts toward time in service (i.e. retirement).

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
When I signed up for BDCP "years" ago, I was given confirmation that the time counted towards retirement. I have yet to hear differently.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as I can recall, my recruiter told me that the time in service counts for pay and retirement both. I have never heard any differently either.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
BDCP counts towards retirement, and time in service resultantly.... I.e. You are in BDCP 3 years prior to graduation. You graduate college and commission after graduation. You will be earning the pay of an ensign over 3 years, and will have 17 years left until you reach your 20 and retirement.

Remember, while in BDCP, you active duty enlisted.