• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does OCS affect your flying track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny

I was told by my recruiter that my performance in OCS is also used to determine which track I'll go in flight training. I doubt this is true though, but if anyone can verify this, it would be great.

Phoenix

If you look at it logically, there is NO way this could affect the selection you make. That´s just my opinion. Email John or Steve. They will know.

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
I was told by my recruiter that my performance in OCS is also used to determine which track I'll go in flight training

As long as you are already slated for training as a Naval Aviator, NONE of your performance in OCS will count towards your NSS score determined in Primary. That is then used in your selection for which community you want. Then again, don't fail out of OCS, THAT WOULD DEFINITELY EFFECT YOU ADVERSELY...

Granted, I did not got through OCS, but I know what comprises the selection system in Primary:

NSS SCORE IS COMPRISED OF THE FOLLOWING:
15% API
15% Primary Ground School (Systems Test, Metro Test, and Instrument Nav. Test)
70% Flying Grades

Hope that helps out.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
I won't even start about my "friendly Army recruiter..." (You know the line: "So what are you going to do after high school, son?") That guy would not leave me alone!

Dave Shutter

My Army recruiter was mint!! First, I talked my best friend into joining with me to be an M-1 tanker (he was going to join the air national guard and work at a local base on the weekends!) So, for that I should have gotten E-2 at enlistment but he botched the paperwork and I never got it, that could have been a couple extra hundred bucks in my pocket! Then I gave him my High School diploma to copy and I never saw it again!! As bad as that was though when I got to Ft. Knox for basic I didn't feel so bad. Some guys were there and were told that "armor training" was only temporary until orders came through for their "real training"!! Halfway through training (two month later) one poor schmuck still thought that his orders for linguist school were still gonna come!

D

Tripp

My recruiter was a real pain. I tried to be polite each time he called, but the "message" just wasn't getting through. After calling while I was eating dinner, I finally snapped and told him "Hey, listen...you want to know something? I HAVE NO LEGS." He fumbled around (obviously VERY embarrassed) and said, "ummm...I'm sorry to have bothered you." I figured that was kind of mean (he was just doing his job), so I told the AF recruiter that I was "a pacifist." He didn't call back, either. The Marines called, and I told them the truth, which was that I had "already applied for a NROTC scholarship." They were thrilled and encouraged me to go for the Marine option. Yeah, right (I didn't say that out loud...he was a Marine).

The only service to actually offer me money was the Army. He was confident that he could offer more than the Navy. Heck, had I decided to haggle with him, I probably could've gotten a nice sized deal.

If I was interesting in enlisting, I probably would have gone Navy...sleeping in the mud "ain't my bag, baby..." Oddly enough, they never called.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah recruiters.... if there ever was an individual bound to be car salesman after retirement...

I lucked out and got a "good" (I will use the term loosely) recruiter, that handled everything for me pretty well, though I am still kicking myself to this day for not knowing about the Navy College Fund, and pushing for it when I signed up.. SIGH .. live and learn... As for what Dave said, I too lost my Diploma to the circular filing cabinet of the Recruiter's Office!! MMC Eri wherever you are, I want my diploma back, damnit!

But all in all, it is more of system that has gone wrong than the individuals. If there wasn't so much pressure for them to meet quota, than maybe you would have some more informed sailors and marines, oops forgot, there was a message put out a couple of years ago, Sailors and Marines are supposed to be capitalized...

One EM1 that checked in on my submarine from car salesman...err...recruiting duty, recieved, count them, TWO, TWO Navy Commendation Medals for having the highest above quota marks for the previous two quarters!

As for myself, I kept getting soliciation while in college for the Nukey program, along with "Be all you can be" junk mail. For fun one day I actually called up the Nuke program recruiter, a LT, and asked him about life on submarines, boy did I get lied too!!

What was it that Barnum said, or was it Bailey? "There is a sucker born every minute..."

Tripp

Let's see, you served on subs and now you're going to get paid to blow them up (P-3). What's wrong with this picture?

BTW, it was Barnum.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tripp, just think, I ALSO get to do a disassociated sea tour with STEVE later on, and get my SWO pin!! Hey Steve, save a rack for me! What can I say, I guess I am lucky to be taking advantage of all the Navy has to offer. And your right, I can't wait to get to my first P3 squadron, and all the jokes I am going to get about a submariner becoming a P3 pilot...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh yes, recruiters can be a bit of a pain sometimes. They also forget to delete stuff out of their database as well. For example, I still to this day get things in the mail trying to get me to join the nuclear navy. Geez, I finished the nuke pipeline in 1994. On occasion, I have thought about calling up the recruiter to ask him/her about what life for a nuke is like....in school and elsewhere. Tell you what, it's certainly no joyride in school for a nuke, but those recruiters sure make it sound nifty.

Here's a couple things off the subject. First: John, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are not eligible for a SWO pin. I realize you were looking so forward to it. You can qualify OOD(U/W), CICWO, TAO, and EOOW, however. And of course these all go in your service record. Here is what it says right out of the OPNAV 1412.2G instruction.

4. Eligibility
a. The following are eligible to attain
designation as “Surface Warfare
Qualified”:
(1) Commissioned officers permanently
assigned to a commissioned U.S. Navy surface
ship; specifically, Surface Warfare and Special Operations trainees (116X/1 19X), lateral transfers into Surface Warfare, limited duty officers (LDOS)(61XX, 621X, 623X, 626X, 628X, 629X, 640X,641X, 648X,), and chief warrant officers (CWOS)(71 1X, 712X, 713X, 714X, 716X, 718X, 719X,720X, 721X, 723X, 724X, 726X, 728X, 729X,740X, 748X) 116X/1 19X designated officers and lateral transfers into surface warfare are required to qualify; LDOS and CWOS in the above designators are encouraged, but not required, to qualify.

An officer pursuing qualifkation as a SWO
must:

a. Be a graduate of the Surface Warfare
Officer School Division Officer Course of
Instruction. Graduation validates equirement to complete Fundamentals and Systems (100/200
series) portion of SWO P@.

(1) Surface LDOS and CWOS who are not
graduates of this course are required to complete the Fundamentals and Systems (100 and 200 series).

Next, I find it quite humorous that John is talking a lot of these big ships being juicy targets for his beloved submarines. John, you are moving along beautifully in the track to becoming a big juicy target yourself in those P-3's. Don't forget, no parachutes!

Tripp

Ouch.

Well, if you get bored w/aviation, you could always go for the SEALs--makes API look like summer camp. Talk about a resume; Tom Clancy would have a field day. A Submariner/SCUBA diver/Aviator/SEAL--you could even give Steven Segal a run for his money.

Edited by - Tripp on 11 May 2000

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tripp, well, this ISN'T JAG... lol!! and hats off to those guys who go through that arduous SEAL program, I only got a "LITTLE" taste of that in Dive school, which is hardly a comparison from what I have heard!!

Steve, but seriously, if that is the case then so be it, but I have seen many an Aviator wearing SWO pins. Including our CO of NROTC UF. What happens with the Aviator that CO of a CVN, no SWO pin? No matter, maybe it is a new change, irregardless I will have to spend two years onboard ship as a dissassociated sea tour, should be fun.

As for a P3 being a big slow target, yup, gotta agree there, but all systems have their own weakness, and that is where the importance of the US Navy as an interlocking unit comes into effect, with of course the Aegis system as the proverbial shield and mastermind behind a BG's defense.

O-man

All recruiters with the exception of the Marines are just full of it. But, you can have fun with this. I was talking to a recruiter after hich school, and he called my friend out of the blue asking about how interested he was in joining himself. My friend was Very unamused. He bitched at me like it was my fault for three days- So I got the phone number of all the recruiters that I could, and beeped my friend to there number. It was great. Then at college I pledged a fraternity. To get back at them for all the **** we were going through, I whent online and put all there names into the Army and Airforce webpages. They were getting calls and mail for months.

Phoenix

Come on, give the man a break! If you´re interested in law that much, become a law enforcement officer .

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.