• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does anyone know the story behind this? A-6 ejection

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

After they eject, the a/c flies away. Anyone remember the story? I am assuming the a/c eventually crashed.

12th May 1987 USN A‑6E Intruder 155657
AD
VA‑42
USS Lexington
Crashed during attempted landing on carrier. Crashed into Gulf of Mexico 50 M S of NAS Pensacola, FL, USA Ens. A. Hux ejected LtJg R. Rabuse

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

After they eject, the a/c flies away. Anyone remember the story? I am assuming the a/c eventually crashed.

That would be a safe assumption as they don't return home like carrier pigeons (no pun intended) when the aircrew decides to "take the option". :D

Nose

pilot
Had a friend that was onboard LEX at the time.

Actually, the CG shift caused by the ejection caused the Intruder to climb at a pretty steep angle. It crashed within 500' of Mom. Too close for comfort.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a friend that was onboard LEX at the time.

Actually, the CG shift caused by the ejection caused the Intruder to climb at a pretty steep angle. It crashed within 500' of Mom. Too close for comfort.

Saw that with an F-14A from VF-211 on JCS. Stick jammed full aft on cat shot. Up, up and away...from Cat 3, across the bow in Full A/B, gear coming up...all pilot could get out was "trim" on radio before they punched out as jet performed a beautiful hammerhead stall and crashed just off the starboard bow in 3000+ feet of water.

The Air Boss yelled something sarcastic on the radio like "Don't cross my bow" before he realized the jet was in serious trouble.

Actually couldn't see the ejection from Primary.

submarinerssbn

don't the a-6's have 4 guys, i only saw two ejections, and then the plane kept on going? did they think they weren't going to make it and then eject, or did the other two guys stay onboard and fly it????? or am i just a soup sandwhich?????? sorry if it sounds like a dumb question guys...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
that would be the EA-6 with 4 guys. The A-6 had a crew of 2. The Navy hasn't flown A-6 Intruders since 96' or 97'.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-6
a6_twomey.jpg

EA-6B

ea6bgs_02.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flathatter?... er I mean Bannedhatter.

No, someone else. Flathatter was no ejection expert. He was an expert @ commercial flying and F-15/helo aviation. Maybe he did eject, but it's hard to keep track of all the lies.

AJB37

I'm aware that flathatter was not an ejection expert, it was more of a bad joke... I blame the internets for me not expressing that clearly... *smilies for affect*

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
don't the a-6's have 4 guys, i only saw two ejections, and then the plane kept on going? did they think they weren't going to make it and then eject, or did the other two guys stay onboard and fly it????? or am i just a soup sandwhich?????? sorry if it sounds like a dumb question guys...

Do you want to go visit Nose in the Stupid Question thread for tutoring? I know Subs (especially Boomers) don't get much time to look at things that fly so maybe you need to look into a nice aircraft dictionary book to learn what we fly. You won't be selecting A-6 anymore, but the EA-6B is based on same airframe, but looks even more like a flying drumstick. Looks aside, they both were built for war Grumman tough.

A-6 = crew of 2
EA-6B = 4