• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does anyone have any valuable advice for a new midshipmen?

AirAggie92

Small piece of advice. Listen to your elders (elders as in "the older folks"). Now see, you did not pay attention, I said listen to them not necessarily do what they say nor take their advice, unvetted. Weigh their advice and use what you hear/learn to make your own decisions, in all things in life. Constantly hone your decision making skills. Beware of Mr. Unintended Consequences, he will get you where it hurts if you are not careful. Your decisions should always support your goals and objectives; you do have neatly laid down G/O's, no? They should be the basis for your plans for your future. Plan your life, do not stumble along pllar to post.

It sounds like you have great start. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks Chief. I'm going to have to be sure to print off this thread, many valuable things have been said that will save me a lot of grief!

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Take your annual ass-kicking from your "friends in Austin" like a man.

Don't complain about your football team to your Athletic Director by e-mail. You might get your ass kicked.

Easy Bevo...he doesn't even go to A&M. He couldn't get in so he is going to aggie prep school...TAMUG.

Hmm well we missed our annual ass-kicking from our "friends in Austin" in 2006 and 2007 =P

Although he likes to make people think he does.

Bevo16

pilot
I had to google TAMUG to figure out what the hell you were talking about.

Why does someone from Broomfield, CO go to mini-aggy?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Here's some more advice, Airaggie: anytime you mention Texas A&M on AW, expect a swarm of bitter Texas fans. Funny that I don't see it happen the other way around.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Here's some more advice, Airaggie: anytime you mention Texas A&M on AW, expect a swarm of bitter Texas fans. Funny that I don't see it happen the other way around.

Not bitter...just better.

There are a few aggies here that speak there mind as they should. The rest hide in their hole waiting for the weather to get better. Funny how that "2%" (Aggies who choose not to participate in Texas A&M traditions) grows during a slump. FWIW, I was a fan when we sucked and I will be a fan no matter the weather.

TAMUG is considered a part of TAMU. Degrees awarded from there don't appear as from TAMUG, they say TAMU on them. But yes I want to transfer to the College Station Campus after a year.

It might be considered part of aggie but I'll defer to the real aggies and we'll see if they agree. You mean to say it doesn't say Galveston anywhere on the degree cert?

I hope you get in. Living life as an aggie is rough enough much less a poser aggie:)

Now seriously, back to Bevo's question. How did you end up at TAMUG from Colorado? A solid year at any local reputable JUCO would get you in the door too wouldn't it?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Not bitter...just better.

There are a few aggies here that speak there mind as they should. The rest hide in their hole waiting for the weather to get better. Funny how that "2%" (Aggies who choose not to participate in Texas A&M traditions) grows during a slump. FWIW, I was a fan when we sucked and I will be a fan no matter the weather.

It might be considered part of aggie but I'll defer to the real aggies and we'll see if they agree. You mean to say it doesn't say Galveston anywhere on the degree cert?

I hope you get in. Living life as an aggie is rough enough much less a poser aggie:)

Now seriously, back to Bevo's question. How did you end up at TAMUG from Colorado? A solid year at any local reputable JUCO would get you in the door too wouldn't it?

Students attending Texas A&M University at Galveston have many benefits of students attending the College Station campus. Sea Aggies, or Sea Ags, may purchase tickets for all sporting events, fine arts performances and concerts held in College Station. Degrees are awarded from Texas A&M University in College Station and Sea Aggies receive the same Aggie ring of which they have the option to attend the ring ceremony in College Station.

Oops. Maybe you should have "hid" until you knew what you were talking about. But it's cool that you aren't a bandwagon fan. I bet you would insult a kid about his education no matter how your favorite football team performs.

AirAggie92

Okay, this is a kind of tough situation to explain, but I will do my best to answer your questions.

Number one, I was homeschooled. I never actually went to high school, I just went straight to a Community College. I don't really know why I did except for the fact that my parents wanted me to. The only highschool thing I did was AFJROTC for two years.

Then, as I was deciding my career goals and I was looking at different schools. For one thing, there are no colleges that have NROTC in my area. There are few with AFROTC and Army ROTC, but that's all.

My dad suggested I take a look at Texas A&M, because he had heard that they had a great ROTC program. I looked into it, finding out about the Corps, all the units, etc. I took visit down to the campus and I loved it. Everyone seemed so much friendlier and more upbeat than where I was from. I also found out that since TAMU is a Senior Military College, it gets flight slots faster than other universities.

I applied to TAMU as a transfer student, and was rejected (I also read a few other stories from other people in the same situation, even from people who had been accepted to Texas, one guy even called A&M "Harvard in disguise"). I still don't understand why (I have 58 credits with a 3.4 GPR, including an A in Calc 1), but then I was told about the Change of Curriculum program that TAMUG offered. I applied and was accepted to the university and to the NROTC College Program.

You mean to say it doesn't say Galveston anywhere on the degree cert?
Exactly. It does not say Galveston. The Galveston and College Station campuses offer none of the same majors, hence the reason you can change curriculum without going through the admissions process.

I hope I explained this okay.

P.S. Are you an Aggie Treetop Flyer?

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I also found out that since TAMU is a Senior Military College, it gets flight slots faster than other universities.

I'm going to agree with Immy. To my limited understanding of the system (I went through Service Assignment last year), being a Senior Military College doesn't mean said university gets flight slots "faster." I wouldn't be overly surprised if there was something in the formula that might add extra points or a multiplier of some kind to the total score NROTC mids are ranked on if one attends a Corps of Cadets school. Given what kids in the Corps go through for four years, I'd be completely ok with that, just like I know that the formula gives preference to engineering majors (Tier 1) over softer majors (Tier 3).

If they do give a multiplier or extra points for going to a No Fun Zone (read: "Corps of Cadets"), I would hope that they also give a preference based on the quality of school. Not to say that anyone goes to a bad school in NROTC, but there is a big difference between the coursework at, say, MIT and San Diego State within the same major. It's just a fact.

To weigh in on the Aggie hate, I'm not a Longhorn or an Aggie fan, I just look at people from A&M weird due do traditions (wtf is with the nuts-to-butts crotch grab + yelling?) and quality of life in Corps versus my college experience, sorta like kids who go to Canoe U. At the end of the day, we all get the same butter bar on our collar. To each his own, though. Best of luck to you.

TL;DR: I don't think Corps of Cadets schools get slots "faster", but they may get a nod in the formula that determines someone's slot in Service Assignment, which would then give them a leg up. It's more than likely some half-truth Kool-Aid passed around to get kids to join up. Also, I'm an elitist, but I did not go to MIT.

Perhaps someone more learned than myself (which means pretty much everyone) could weigh in on the intricacies of the Service Assignment ranking forumla?

AirAggie92

I'm going to agree with Immy. To my limited understanding of the system (I went through Service Assignment last year), being a Senior Military College doesn't mean said university gets flight slots "faster." I wouldn't be overly surprised if there was something in the formula that might add extra points or a multiplier of some kind to the total score NROTC mids are ranked on if one attends a Corps of Cadets school. Given what kids in the Corps go through for four years, I'd be completely ok with that, just like I know that the formula gives preference to engineering majors (Tier 1) over softer majors (Tier 3).

If they do give a multiplier or extra points for going to a No Fun Zone (read: "Corps of Cadets"), I would hope that they also give a preference based on the quality of school. Not to say that anyone goes to a bad school in NROTC, but there is a big difference between the coursework at, say, MIT and San Diego State within the same major. It's just a fact.

To weigh in on the Aggie hate, I'm not a Longhorn or an Aggie fan, I just look at people from A&M weird due do traditions (wtf is with the nuts-to-butts crotch grab + yelling?) and quality of life in Corps versus my college experience, sorta like kids who go to Canoe U. At the end of the day, we all get the same butter bar on our collar. To each his own, though. Best of luck to you.

TL;DR: I don't think Corps of Cadets schools get slots "faster", but they may get a nod in the formula that determines someone's slot in Service Assignment, which would then give them a leg up. It's more than likely some half-truth Kool-Aid passed around to get kids to join up. Also, I'm an elitist, but I did not go to MIT.

Perhaps someone more learned than myself (which means pretty much everyone) could weigh in on the intricacies of the Service Assignment ranking forumla?

Okay point taken. Faster wasn't the right word for what I was trying convey, I meant that I was told that they got "first dibs" on the flight slots, before any other school besides service academies, and who knows if this is true. But regardless, any leg up helps.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Okay point taken. Faster wasn't the right word for what I was trying convey, I meant that I was told that they got "first dibs" on the flight slots, before any other school besides service academies, and who knows if this is true. But regardless, any leg up helps.

I don't think they get automatic "first dibs" just for being a Corps of Cadets school. Service Assignment is merit based on GPA, military aptitude, major, PFA scores, and CO's points. Giving a blanket "first in line" would genuinely screw up the entire process, since any kid in the Corps that wanted SNA/SNFO would instantly get it with a 2.5 GPA in Liesure Studies, vice a kid from MIT with a 4.0 in Mechanical Engineering having to fight for it. Corps of Cadets kids are under the same NROTC umbrella as everyone else, and to my knowledge are ranked nationally against everyone else. So, the whole "We get special treatment because we're A&M/Norwich/ect." is definite bull because of how the system works.

Personally, I'd be alright with Corps kids getting a little bump in the standings just like a kid with a Tier 1 major. Going to a Corps school involves a midn a hell of a lot more than some of the other schools, and the added stress/baggage definitely should be rewarded as much as a kid who goes to an intensive academic school. That's my opinion, though.

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
I cannot weigh in on the how the process works specifically or if there is a "bump" or not, but when my MIDN classmates were getting their service selections last year at The Citadel, they were ranked against everyone else nationwide on the same list. They were subject to the same "Nuke Draft" and had the same issues fighting for their SNA slots as it seems that "real college" MIDN go through.