• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does anyone have any valuable advice for a new midshipmen?

AirAggie92

I was accepted to the NROTC College Program at TAMUG and I'm thrilled! Eventually I would like to be selected for SNA.

Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who is just starting out? I mean any kind of advice, about anything regarding NROTC.

EDIT: Specifically, what kinds of things will get you in trouble and how do you avoid them?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I was accepted to the NROTC College Program at TAMUG and I'm thrilled! Eventually I would like to be selected for SNA.

Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who is just starting out? I mean any kind of advice, about anything regarding NROTC.

Uh oh, maybe you better be a bit more specific about your request.

Don't fuck it up.

Above is some sage advice; I shall add use the search function to avoid the s%*# storm that will follow.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Kind of hard to give you a recipe book for success in NROTC, but generally speaking:

1) Show up on time/early - common mistake for underclassman who aren't used to the expectations of the program
2) Get involved - the bare minimum requirements for the program are very minimal, but showing your face around the unit for more than a couple hours a week (not including NS classes) will pay dividends later on when the staff is making BN billet decisions and even later when your CO's endorsement counts towards your service selection
3) Don't get into trouble out on campus. Not gonna say that I didn't know successful MIDN's who DID get into trouble with the law, but it certainly didn't make things easier on them, and truth be told, right now the Navy doesn't really need you that badly.....so like was said previously, don't f*** it up
4) Have a good attitude, and know your place. This will hold true beyond NROTC when you get out into the real Navy/USMC. Going along this, never pass up an opportunity to STFU and learn.
5) Don't think that being a good MIDN will save your butt from failing at school. When it comes down to it, the most important thing in the program is getting decent grades and getting that diploma so that they can pin bars on you after your senior year. I saw more than a couple MIDN f things away this way and get booted from the program.....guys who otherwise were solid players around the unit.
6) Don't be that guy/girl who is on remedial PT for like 2 years in a row, complaining about how its bad for everyone to be running on asphalt or that there wasn't a sufficient stretching warmup period. Everyone else somehow does just fine, so the only person you are fooling there is yourself.....and certainly not the PTO who has to drag you along on every PT session whining and complaining (I got the joy of doing this for several terms one year)

Good luck! It's a good program, and try to get everything you can out of your summer training/cruises. I learned more there than I did in 4.5 years back at school @ my unit.

Pags

N/A
pilot
1. GET GOOD GRADES.
2. Get / stay in shape.
3. Do something that isn't NROTC related like a club sport or a frat. Just don't let it get in the way of #1.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You might want to peruse The Google and see if there are any recipe books for becoming a fighter pilot available for sale.

Or, option B, you could stick around here and get all of the same information for free.

Your choice.

Oh.....and transfer to the College Station campus as soon as you can. Don't listen to the t-sip naysayers. Their heads are too clogged with MoveOn.org talking points and bong resin to think clearly.

Smiles, of course.

Will_T

Will_T
Advice from the LT in charge of my unit, get good grades, work hard at pt, act professionally and go out of your way to help your shipmates and the unit.
Good luck.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
don't forget that you're going to a "real" college, enjoy the college experience. but not at the expense of your grades or fitness.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Be on time, don't be a shitbird, do your homework, and have fun. Oh, and don't be a knucklehead about drinking underage. That's bad jamba if you get caught.