• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DoD to propose cutting Corps from 202k to 182k

KBayDog

And was broke as a joke. There's going to be A LOT of Marines that are going to be shocked when we don't have unlimited funds for stupid shit...

No joke. We were broke as shit in the mid-late 90s.

A few examples: I am by no means "Old Corps," but in my earlier days (in KBay), I lived in WWII-era barracks (considered "Gucci" because they weren't open squad bays), with absolutely zero budget for anything. Shit paper, cleaning supplies (even for the common areas), and light bulbs (including fluorescent ceiling ones) were all paid for by Marines out of pocket. It wasn't uncommon for Marines to live in the dark rather than spring for fluorescent light bulbs.

Our gyms were converted squad bays with some free weights. Our field gear consisted of Vietnam-vintage ALICE packs and 782 gear. Our "re-enlistment bonuses" included nothing more than the opportunity to go to jump or SERE schools, and those were only given to the "best" re-enlistees. (Read: Most got Jack and Shit.)

Fortunately, I wasn't in a flying squadron then...I shudder to think what that must've been like.

It was an embarrassing, dangerous time, and I hoped we'd never return to it.

Since we're about to re-enter that period, I suggest we start taking care of our stuff, because when our grandkids are Marines, they're still going to be using our ILBEs, shooting our M-16A4s, and flying in what will then be called "vintage" MV-22s.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Since we're about to re-enter that period, I suggest we start taking care of our stuff, because when our grandkids are Marines, they're still going to be using our ILBEs, shooting our M-16A4s, and flying in what will then be called "vintage" MV-22s.

Screw that. I'm telling my grandkids to join the f'ing Coast Guard.

"Don't make the same mistake I did, son...."

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What on earth would be the point of having 40 aircraft with 30 pilots? 20 jets might as well be in a warehouse.

Well...make it a helo squadron...and put 4 aircraft at Nadep...and 4 aircraft in phase at any given time. I was just trying to keep it generalized.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I don't know how many we will eventually wind up with, but aren't they still saying we will get something like 300+ F-35B's and 80 F-35C's? If we actually get that many, I think that will be more than the current number of harriers and hornets. The first two F-35B squadrons are cadre'd hornet squadrons.

Last I heard the mix was closer to 50/50. The number of B's keeps declining.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Screw that. I'm telling my grandkids to join the f'ing Coast Guard.

"Don't make the same mistake I did, son...."

This young buck sees the writing on the wall and is transferring to the Coast Guard. My grandpa told me stories about the Corps post-Korea. It won't be pretty for the few and the proud.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This young buck sees the writing on the wall and is transferring to the Coast Guard. My grandpa told me stories about the Corps post-Korea. It won't be pretty for the few and the proud.

I endorse your move.

Becoming a Marine is one of the best things one can do with his life. Staying a Marine after that, though, is completely optional. In retrospect, I should have given a USCG transfer more thought. Going back to O-2 when one's almost an O-4 is a huge gut check on that one, though.

The transfer is pretty competitive though, so have your dope in one bag when you apply. Flight school IP is a pretty good jumping off point for it, BTW.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The transfer is pretty competitive though, so have your dope in one bag when you apply. Flight school IP is a pretty good jumping off point for it, BTW.

Do you mean applying during your HT Instructor shore tour?

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Going back to O-2 when one's almost an O-4 is a huge gut check on that one, though..
Shoot, that just means more flight time and less responsibility ;)

Guess I'll have to make a decision on whether to go Navy with guaranteed SNA or take my chances with the CG and see if they'll give me a slot after OCS.

Back to the original post, I think the draw down of troop numbers is completely necessary and while there's going to be a lot of growing pains with this new direction it's also an excellent opportunity to get the Corps back on track to what I think it should be focusing on which is a light and fast expeditionary capabilities.

We have an entire generation of marines who are only familiar and proficient with the type of warfare seen in Iraq and Afghanistan. We were not built to be occupiers and the weight we've accumulated both in equipment such as MWRAPs and in personnel is something we need to shed. Let the Army worry about holding the ground we take and let's focus on being the amphibious shock troops we profess to be.

For us ground pounders that means working on gaining proficiency in conventional and amphibious warfare. The infantry and combat engineers have become so adept at COIN that we've lost those skills that our grandparents passed down to us. We've really neglected some of the lessons and proficiencies learned in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. I could be more specific but I'll leave it at that on this public forum.

I know people would like to argue that we won't see another conventional or amphibious war and that those are a thing of the past but history repeats itself and the basics never go out of style - especially when you need them.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot

Out of curiosity, why go Coast Guard instead of Army Warrant Officer? Is it a quality of life thing or just not wanting to resign your commission?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Army aviation will no doubt be on the chopping block as well, which was the original impetus for bailing on the Corps.

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Out of curiosity, why go Coast Guard instead of Army Warrant Officer? Is it a quality of life thing or just not wanting to resign your commission?
You see where the Coast Guard "deploys?" Or where they are stationed? Question : answered.

sodajones

Combat Engineer

I'm not on active duty anymore and I'm not an officer, I am chilling in the drilling reserves as a fun monthly camping trip instead of IRR.

As far as WO goes, I've considered WOFT as a last resort. I see the Coast Guard as the most desired for many reasons such as: continued operations whether during peace time or war, less OCONUS which will be great because I want to start a family, a shared Naval culture, great duty stations, and a small community with a mission that is rarely abused by politicians unlike the missions of the Corps, Army, etc. The trend of pilots transferring from Army/Navy/Corps to the CG speaks for itself, as does the retention and retirement rate of the CG.

I read a lot and have talked a lot with Army WOs on Kiowapilots.com and in Afghanistan. It seems like WO pilots are not treated as well or have as good a working environment. In all things military it's a matter of general population vs OFP. If you can get on the exclusive OFP team you've got it made. If you're GP life sucks a lot more. ;) Army WO is about as GP as you can get in the aviation community.

The problem with CG is that unless I'm a minority I don't have a way to guarantee a SNA slot. I'll probably go CG anyways because if worse comes to worse, I'll end up a boarding officer or in DOG or something. That would not be a bad day. Navy may entice me with an SNA slot though, so only time will tell. WOFT will by my last option if for some reason I don't get into the Navy or CG within my age limit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The problem with CG is that unless I'm a minority I don't have a way to guarantee a SNA slot. I'll probably go CG anyways because if worse comes to worse, I'll end up a boarding officer or in DOG or something. That would not be a bad day.

You say that now, but will you be saying that on a 40-foot fishing boat, smelling of rotten fish while rocking your guts out in 8-10 foot seas? All while looking for something that may not even be there.

Still, I'm not knocking the CG. I've spent 4 deployments and lots of shore-based ops working with them and I agree: small, tight community of professionals.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plus you could be stationed in my beloved home state of Oregon. :D

Brett