• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I agree. As I said, we can't be willy nilly, as in we have to be more deliberate with things, but the way things are now is not efficient, or cost effective. There is way too much politics in the process.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
A classmate has his NATOPS on his iPad. Considering P-3 tube NATOPS are something like 5 or 600 bucks a copy (not sure how much all our job aids are), might not be a bad idea.

I still don't feel bad about burning my out of date one at a bonfire when I was hammered.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Instead of an iPad in the cockpit, could I just have a civilian ILS for the Hornet please?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Instead of an iPad in the cockpit, could I just have a civilian ILS for the Hornet please?
Does the hornet at least have some sort of approach ability beyond tacan, par, and Alcs? I had to use a 60R to get some instrument prof in the past few weeks and it was painful. The Romeo only has a tacan so finding a local field that has a tacan was painful.

Reconjoe

Does the Hornet (C/D's and Super's) have GPS assisting the INS like the T-45 or is it completely INS?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
lots of room for mods in a Warpig, I guess. More likely to operate out of somewhere we can use an ILS or a GPS approach. Is the ACLS similar to an ILS, just back to uss boat instead of to my sweet sweet 3.50 a day in per diem?

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
All the Supers have GPS assist...Legacy should(unless you are flying a RAG bird, then who knows). The A/B models do not have GPS unless it's an A+

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Pretty much all fleet C/D and E/F have GPS/INS systems. The Super of course has better GPS than the Hornet, but neither are approved for GPS approaches. Every year its "we want the capability to shoot civilian approaches, other than TACAN." And every year it's "we have more important things to spend our money on." Which I kind of agree with.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Having tried to use them in theater, it's a hack. A useful hack that fills a niche for a few players but it's not a long-term solution for many reasons.

That said, Foreflight + BadElf dongle is the tits for CONUS flying (for us poor bastards without our own moving map)

gotta_fly

pilot
A lot of folks in my platform have been discussing this for a while. We carry literally every DoD FLIP pub on our jet all the time. When it comes time to change them out, most are still in the wrapper or were never opened. In our case having an electronic pubs library would be huge. Of course I'd gladly trade that for a set of PAPIs or an ILS to runway 24 at Pax. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk