• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DO NOT RENT!! (Milton Property)

angelbee13

A few of us primary and advanced students have had the misfortune of finding out first hand how a crooked landlord operates. The property is called "Hamilton Manor" and it is off of Hamilton Bridge Rd in Milton. I recently lost $1100 dealing with this guy and wanted to warn everyone out there to stay away from this place. The lease you sign will include a $800 deposit, $400 of which are non-refundable for "cleaning and paint fees" even though he does not paint the condos after we move out and will charge you more if the condo is not clean after we vacate. I paid a $300 pet deposit and when asked about it, he said the lease should read pet fee not deposit so he was keeping that too. I know 6 other studs who lived there and were charged heavily after they moved out, and if you do get a small part of the deposit back it will not be for months after you move out. I believe the landlord cant afford his mortgage (after some studs were forced to live in base housing) and is now using our deposits to do so. Unless you like seeing your land lord every other day around your home and having him come into your home when you are not there to "replace air filters", I would stay away.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Not to be a buzzkill, those are all pretty standard with the exception of the non-refundable cleaning and paint fee part of the security deposit. I`ve never heard of that one before. Pet deposits are almost always non-refundable. Landlords will always charge more when you move out if your security deposit can`t cover the damages done to their property. It is always your responsibility to leave the property in a clean condition when you vacate, unless you want to pay for them to have it cleaned professionally.

Is this your first lease?

The only thing in there that I can see that would be blatantly wrong is the coming into `your` home when you`re not there. Landlords are to make every reasonable attempt to give 24 hours prior notice before entering the unit.

incubus852

pilot
You need to read up on florida landlord tenant law. Usually, if you send a polite email/letter indicating which part of the code they have violated and quote it, they'll give you the time of day.

Personally, I'm a bit tired of hearing of students and friends being abused by landlords and doing nothing about it. It's your money and pride... do something about it.

Landlords have a set number of days to return security deposits and if they are taking out more than previously agreed to, they usually have to indicate why/include records.

If need be, file in small claims court or at least send them the papers. We had a landlord who wouldn't respond to anything... except a summons. Then he came clean on everything very quickly.

I hate to say it, but stop bitching and get your money. Landlords will screw you only if you let them.

Here's a link to florida landlord tenant code:

http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html

Specific to deposits:

Section 83.49, F. S.
A landlord has the discretion to collect various deposits as well as some rent in advance. These advance payments generally vary in range. You should be careful about making any deposit unless a definite decision has been made to move into the unit. A tenant who puts down a deposit but then decides not to occupy the unit, MAY NOT be entitled to a refund. If a deposit is non-refundable it should be stated in the rental agreement.
A damage deposit is the most common requirement of landlords. At the time of the pre-rental walk-through with the landlord, you should make note of damaged items or areas, worn rugs, broken fixtures, etc. and give a copy to the landlord. Keep a copy for your files, which may help eliminate or minimize disputes later.

When you move out, the landlord must either return your deposit within 15 days of termination of the rental agreement, if the landlord does not intend to impose a claim upon the security deposit; or justify in writing by certified mail, to the tenant's last known mailing address within 30-days upon termination of a rental agreement, as to why they are keeping a portion of or all of the deposit. If the notice is not sent as required within the 30-day period, the landlord forfeits his/her right to impose a claim upon the deposit, unless you fail to give proper notice prior to vacating.

Section 83.49, 3(b)(c), F. S.
Unless you object to the imposition of the landlord’s claim or the amount thereof within 15 days after receipt of the landlord’s notice of intention to impose a claim, the landlord may then deduct the amount of his or her claim and shall remit the balance of the deposit to you within 30 days after the date of the notice of intention to impose a claim for damages. If you object to the landlord’s claim you may file a complaint with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services or institute an action in a court of competent jurisdiction to adjudicate the landlord’s right to the security deposit.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Fight it. Call them up, mention small claims court, JAG, or even bad word of mouth. I've had to fight with a few landlords but I've usually made out alright.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just go to base legal and then call said landlord and tell him as such. Whether he's right or not, you have lawyers available to you to help with these shenanigans and he'd have to hire one or defend himself. Chances are once he realizes you're not some schmuck who's just going to bend over and take it, he'll become MUUCH more amicable.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
A court summons usually gets bullies to change thier tune, if not, the law will in court. I just had to go through this process with an employer that didn't want to pay up as agreed in a contract. The minute they got the summons they paid me what was owed. Good luck, the law is on your side.

usmc_stud

pilot
another good piece of advice is to be VERY thorough on your move-in discrepancy sheet, the paper on which you fill out all the problems with the house/apartment that were there before you moved in. this is evidence you can use later dealing with the landlord or in small claims court, if necesary.

that being said, $1100 is not an unusual amount to pay in security deposits, which is why the government gives us DLA with every PCS. if you don't get your DLA then you fight tooth and nail.

Boom2

pilot
i have a friend have similar deposit issues with PCS in Milton, went through the better business bureau to get his deposit back.

angelbee13

Its official the landlord of these condos will not return your deposit. I just wanted to update you all on the status of my case. Two other studs that lived in the same complex moved out 4 and 3 months ago and did not receive their deposits or a letter stating the reason why. The landlords name is Greg Mooney, be careful if you decide to rent from him.

AD18

Although one of the things I do is practice law, it would be inappropriate for me to advise you. I can say that I see multiple issues and I would strongly suggest that you review your lease and the scenario with your local JAG.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Just go to base legal and then call said landlord and tell him as such. Whether he's right or not, you have lawyers available to you to help with these shenanigans and he'd have to hire one or defend himself. Chances are once he realizes you're not some schmuck who's just going to bend over and take it, he'll become MUUCH more amicable.

Great advice to go to legal. Just remember that they won't represent you in court. That being said, when we were in San Diego and had problems with the management company we went to legal. The attorney made a simple "I'm an attorney and wanted to talk to you before we decide how to proceed from here...." call to our manager's voicemail. Within about 4 hours, the management company called us and fixed all the problems we were having.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dead fish, forgotten seafood in the walls, catfish bait...these are a few of my favorite things...

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
It's amazing what ridiculous staying power a tin of seafood-based cat food can have...

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Those are funny ideas, but just remember that if you get caught you could easily find yourself on the wrong end of the lawsuit. Especially since you're only defense will be "He was a crappy landlord." Plus, you still won't have your money and the only people you're really screwing are the people who rent the place next.