• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do midshipmen on advanced standing need to take caclulus and calc based physics?

AirAggie92

I heard it was only scholarship midshipmen that are required to take these classes. Is that true? I asked the CPO in my unit and he said no, but he sounded unsure.

EDIT: I mean take, it was a typo.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
no you dont have to, but if you want to pick up a scholarship eventually its a good idea

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
No...College Programmers do not have to take Calculus/Physics even on advanced standing. YOU DO, however, have to take a series of natural sciences, and a series of math. For example, at ODU, you have to take the equivilent of two semesters of college algebra and two semesters of chemistry/biology/natural science. None of them are calculus based, and are pretty easy. Usually, these are gen ed requirements for most Tier 1 and Tier 2 degrees.

Scholarships are pretty hard to come by for college programmers, as in they rarely (if at all) exist right now.

If you would like more details, shoot me a PM.

AirAggie92

Alright great! I've taken up to Calculus 1 so I don't think that will be a problem, and I'm taking Chemistry 2 right now. And yeah, scholarships are really hard to get at this time due to the fact that the Navy seems to have limited money.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Alright great! I've taken up to Calculus 1 so I don't think that will be a problem, and I'm taking Chemistry 2 right now. And yeah, scholarships are really hard to get at this time due to the fact that the Navy seems to have limited money.

Since you have previously mentioned you are looking to transfer to the College Station campus, I'd STRONGLY (and I cannot emphasize that enough) take care of your calculus and calculus based physics, if you choose to take those courses, either at your current campus (Galveston IIRC) or somewhere else where it will transfer. The math and physics departments at A&M - CS are not very forgiving and the NROTC unit is less so.

(For reference, I was a poli sci major and commissioned through CP Advanced Standing, having never passed calculus, though I tried four times.)

torpedo0126

Thanks for the advice, desertoasis.

if you ever have any questions about the NROTC program, refer to the ROD (regulations for officer development). Its an instruction detailing how officer development programs will be run (NROTC, STA-21 etc). Most of it is administrative business but it is the Bible of how NROTC stuff is run. Just google it, it was the first thing that turned up for me.

you will actually find out a lot of things you might not know in the way of scholarship opportunities by reviewing it. plus, you be demonstrating initiative when you take that info to your class advisor.

cameron172

pilot
I'm on Advanced Standing as well. We don't HAVE to take the Calculus and Physics requirements as the other posts have stated. But I have heard that if you want any chance of getting designated a SNA or SNFO, you would be much better off having Calc and Physics 1 and 2. Makes you much more competitive when selection time comes!

Also, if the aviation community falls through for you (I thinking Plan C and D for my career), you NEED those classes to be a Nuke. I'm not sure about you, but I'd rather take those classes than be a SWO or Supply. Just me though!

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I'm on Advanced Standing as well. We don't HAVE to take the Calculus and Physics requirements as the other posts have stated. But I have heard that if you want any chance of getting designated a SNA or SNFO, you would be much better off having Calc and Physics 1 and 2. Makes you much more competitive when selection time comes!

Also, if the aviation community falls through for you (I thinking Plan C and D for my career), you NEED those classes to be a Nuke. I'm not sure about you, but I'd rather take those classes than be a SWO or Supply. Just me though!

Where'd you hear that?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot

I know a bunch of dudes on advanced standing who got SNA/SNFO slot fine without the calc courses. Not sure how entirely true that is.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I know a bunch of dudes on advanced standing who got SNA/SNFO slot fine without the calc courses. Not sure how entirely true that is.

I am living proof that you don't need Calc and Physics to get an SNFO slot, and get winged too!

punx_clever

Last I knew advanced standing was a dying breed... and Calc and phys certainly helped getting a scholarship. Granted... I'm almost a year out of rotc so I'm a little dated.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Not a dying breed (I are one, and so is another guy in my unit), but difficult to get and definitely not the encourage route. No calc/phys required, but College Algebra minimum and physical science are.

cameron172

pilot

Hmm. I guess my advisors just want me to fit Physics and Calc into my degree plan. We haven't had an AS mid in our Unit for a while, so I may get dated info from the LTs.