• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do fighter jets have climate control?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I found this highly realistic flight simulator for an f-18 super hornet. I'll assume their depiction of the startup procedure is accurate and that you dont need a set of car keys to startup your jet :)
It's actually easier to start. Wrong switch positions in that video. Here is how you start a Hornet. Nothing classified about it.

But it is FOUO, so it probably shouldn't be posted--Sorry, Phrog

joeyjoejoe

utterly fascinating. I've actually taken a few hours of private pilot lesson's in a cessna 172, so this startup checklist is actually somewhat readable for me. Forgive me, I just spend many days staring out the window by my work cubicle imaging climbing into one of these and taxing for takeoff.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
utterly fascinating. I've actually taken a few hours of private pilot lesson's in a cessna 172, so this startup checklist is actually somewhat readable for me. Forgive me, I just spend many days staring out the window by my work cubicle imaging climbing into one of these and taxing for takeoff.
Because the nature of the Hornet, you actually memorize the checklist and do it via a habit pattern. You keep the checklist handy to back yourself up when you have downtime (groundcrew walking around your jet and checking it out you look down and run through it and make sure you did everything). There is so much other stuff to do that is not mentioned on there regarding the weapons and sensors that if you performed the checklist like you are taught in a Cessna, you would burn half your gas before even taking off.

m26

Contributor
FLYTPAY, I am so utterly impressed with you lot right now. That's your procedure to start the damn thing?

Learn something new every day.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There's a flow in every plane so you don't have to "memorize it" verbatim. You know what you need to do and when, so instead of reading the list, you just hit the high points and check yourself before you flip an important switch (starters/condition levers etc). They don't just throw these things together all nimbly pimbly!

MasterBates

Yeah.. I wish the E-2 was that easy to start up.

Thank god the ground crew and NerdHerd get the crap in the back running and I just have to deal with GPS and INS from an electronic doohickie stand point.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Here is how you start a Hornet. Nothing classified about it.

Do NATOPS manuals not have have a page that constains the statement about "this document contains technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Control Export Act..."? In USAF manuals it is right on the cover.

I got in some significant trouble several years ago for posting F-15E checklists on a public-accessible website, and the rationale for getting busted was that statement. That the checklist was a summary of information that was export controlled, and since the "world wide web" was available from anywhere on the planet, posting the information there violated the terms of that act.

So, while not "classified", it does not mean it is post-able on an internet forum. For AF stuff, anyway.

blackbart22

pilot
As far as swiping a military aircraft, back in the day a flight engineer (PO-1) on a P-2V got tired of waiting for the pilots to man up and fired it up and flew from NORIS to NAS New Orleans. He did run off the end of the run way at New Orleans though.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Do NATOPS manuals not have have a page that constains the statement about "this document contains technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Control Export Act..."? In USAF manuals it is right on the cover.

I got in some significant trouble several years ago for posting F-15E checklists on a public-accessible website, and the rationale for getting busted was that statement. That the checklist was a summary of information that was export controlled, and since the "world wide web" was available from anywhere on the planet, posting the information there violated the terms of that act.

So, while not "classified", it does not mean it is post-able on an internet forum. For AF stuff, anyway.
Although a copy can be procured via several websites commercially and occasionally on eBay, no harm intended. The "checklist" that I posted was a checklist straight off of my kneeboard and not taken from the actual NATOPS. Any coincidences and similar names are purely coincidental.

KBayDog

Do fighter jets have air conditioning?!?

Since I can see you are dying to learn about how the lowly rotor trash cope:

The Battle Phrog has two separate environmental control systems - one for the cockpit, and one for the cabin.

Cockpit heating is "green" - that is, we leave no carbon footprint. The windscreen and chin bubble are carefully engineered to ensure that solar energy is amplified to keep the cockpit at least 20 degrees warmer than the outside air temperature. Further heating, if necessary, is achieved by 100% customizable pilot-controlled use of Nomex, Goretex, and/or Polartec accessories.

Cockpit cooling is achieved by opening the pilot compartment windows and pulling pitch.

Cabin heating is achieved by 100% customizable crew-controlled use of Nomex, Goretex, and/or Polartec accessories. Note: The cabin is engineered to remain 20 degrees cooler than the OAT. Additionally, non-crew passengers can purchase an upgraded seat in the rear of the aircraft, near the engine bay, for increased comfort.

Cabin cooling is achieved in a similar manner as cockpit cooling, and can be further amplified by flying at un-helicopter-like altitudes (i.e., flying an instrument flight plan).

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Although a copy can be procured via several websites commercially and occasionally on eBay, no harm intended. The "checklist" that I posted was a checklist straight off of my kneeboard and not taken from the actual NATOPS. Any coincidences and similar names are purely coincidental.

Apologies if that came off as an accusatory post...I'm NOT trying to be the OPSEC police, here....I was really just asking the question. It's of personal interest because I've had a size 12 boot jammed into my ass over the topic, so I was just wondering if that applied to you guys, too.

BTW, just as an aside...just becase it "says so" in an open source location doesn't give one of us, who are legally bound by the UCMJ, authority to release the same information.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Since I can see you are dying to learn about how the lowly rotor trash cope:

The Battle Phrog has two separate environmental control systems - one for the cockpit, and one for the cabin.

Cockpit heating is "green" - that is, we leave no carbon footprint. The windscreen and chin bubble are carefully engineered to ensure that solar energy is amplified to keep the cockpit at least 20 degrees warmer than the outside air temperature. Further heating, if necessary, is achieved by 100% customizable pilot-controlled use of Nomex, Goretex, and/or Polartec accessories.

Cockpit cooling is achieved by opening the pilot compartment windows and pulling pitch.

Cabin heating is achieved by 100% customizable crew-controlled use of Nomex, Goretex, and/or Polartec accessories. Note: The cabin is engineered to remain 20 degrees cooler than the OAT. Additionally, non-crew passengers can purchase an upgraded seat in the rear of the aircraft, near the engine bay, for increased comfort.

Cabin cooling is achieved in a similar manner as cockpit cooling, and can be further amplified by flying at un-helicopter-like altitudes (i.e., flying an instrument flight plan).

You'll be pleased to learn your future replacement ride has AC so strong you can make it snow in the cockpit!:)

BTW, is your squadron one of those that took out the heaters on their 46s? Those JP5-powered heaters put out some serious heat on those rare occasions you need them--well the pilots never, the aircrew need it sometimes.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah.. I wish the E-2 was that easy to start up.

Thank god the ground crew and NerdHerd get the crap in the back running and I just have to deal with GPS and INS from an electronic doohickie stand point.

Just wait 'til the first time you try and get the bitch started up at a commercial field somewhere. That voltage-interlock thing? They're not kidding about that. Usually goes something like this: pilot outside with the ground-crew dude tweaking the start cart, with a FO inside cycling the external-power on/reset switches.
"Anything?"
"Nope."
"Try it now."
"Nope."
"How 'bout that?"
"No dice."
"Okay, hang on...now?"
"Hey, that worked! Shit hot! (everything trips offline) FUCK!!!"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just wait 'til the first time you try and get the bitch started up at a commercial field somewhere. That voltage-interlock thing? They're not kidding about that. Usually goes something like this: pilot outside with the ground-crew dude tweaking the start cart, with a FO inside cycling the external-power on/reset switches.
"Anything?"
"Nope."
"Try it now."
"Nope."
"How 'bout that?"
"No dice."
"Okay, hang on...now?"
"Hey, that worked! Shit hot! (everything trips offline) FUCK!!!"
You're reminding me of the time we used literally every piece of GSE equipment on Moffett Field and took 35 minutes to get a Prowler out of the chocks. Damn thing didn't want to play with external power. Ugh.