• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diversity... what you need to know

exNavyOffRec

I don't know where you work, but speaking for two different aerospace companies in CA that isn't true.

I work for a fortune 100 company, and talking with other corporate HR people at events it is not an uncommon thing, it is big with our offices in CA and in the DC area, so while you may not know about it, your HR department might, and if your company isn't doing this they might be soon as this is a fairly recent thing in the HR circles. I can tell you at my company most people outside the HR department don't know we have LGBT goals as they are included in diversity goals, I didn't even know that until I looked into the breakdown of diversity goals.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I work for a fortune 100 company, and talking with other corporate HR people at events it is not an uncommon thing, it is big with our offices in CA and in the DC area, so while you may not know about it, your HR department might, and if your company isn't doing this they might be soon as this is a fairly recent thing in the HR circles. I can tell you at my company most people outside the HR department don't know we have LGBT goals as they are included in diversity goals, I didn't even know that until I looked into the breakdown of diversity goals.

I just don't believe that HR is in a secret conspiracy with the CEO/board to increase LGBT numbers which are then secretly collected and reported (to where, exactly..?). And yes, I'm far enough up the organization that it would have to be that high, and it would directly contradict the company's public policies.

Like I said, your company or others may do this for their own reasons, but it isn't universal and it certainly isn't the law.

exNavyOffRec

I just don't believe that HR is in a secret conspiracy with the CEO/board to increase LGBT numbers which are then secretly collected and reported (to where, exactly..?). And yes, I'm far enough up the organization that it would have to be that high, and it would directly contradict the company's public policies.

Like I said, your company or others may do this for their own reasons, but it isn't universal and it certainly isn't the law.

I may have not conveyed this right, "goals" when it comes to diversity is interesting, and it is self reported, so we could hire 50 people of Hispanic descent out of 100 people hired, but if none of them claim Hispanic then according to the report we have hired none. We look at who has reported what and see if it meets our goals, if not then we ask have we marketed our company to equally to all groups, some areas will be more directed to certain groups than others, if our company isn't hiring any AA in Atlanta then that would raise a eyebrow, but if we didn't hire any AA in Anchorage then it would be understandable. In regards to LGBT certain cities we would expect to see hires, such as SF, but maybe not Omaha, but again this is all self reported.

exNavyOffRec

Uh…what? If none of them claim Hispanic descent…uh, what?

If none claim Hispanic on the employment forms then officially we have hire no hispanics, the USN is the same way, if I had an officer candidate that was AA but did not claim it on the application then technical I don't get credit for an AA accession, just like if I have a blond haired blue eyed kid that claims AA, then I get credit for an AA.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't hire anyone that isn't qualified to do the job and isn't a right fit for the company or the rest of my team. Period. Race, age, gender, religion, politics, sexual preference, etc never even enter my mind as qualification criteria. I've hired female developers, minority techs, and liberal engineers. It simply doesn't matter to me and never will, regardless of whether any company I work for now, or in the future, has some quota, official or unofficial. I pick my own team. End of story.

Renegade One

None
I don't hire anyone that isn't qualified to do the job and isn't a right fit for the company or the rest of my team. Period...I pick my own team. End of story.
You know, I actually agree with your basic tenet…no one gets hired or promoted/advanced who isn't "qualified"…and a "right fit for the company and the team".

It's in that very murky crunch zone called "best qualified" that, for myriad reasons, government, the military, and "big corporate"America, have long assigned "diversity" a quality all of its own. I think that's where many [fill in the blank] feel unfairly dismissed/overlooked/passed over for attributes well beyond their control or ability to ever improve upon.

Just my $.02.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really hesitated to the link below..... However it is absolutely amazing how prolific racial slurs are around the world. While a few are benign and maybe some even a bit humorous, the vast majority are offensive, and indeed are intended to be offensive, often exceedingly so. Almost no one is spared. In fact someone could be killed for uttering some of these slurs in the wrong place and circumstance.

Also regarding the previously mentioned, “Irish Pennant,” I had never heard the term until AOCS. Being Irish, I was just a little offended. Fortunately for me the Marine DIs never knew that.

The Racial Slur Database

I don't hire anyone that isn't qualified to do the job and isn't a right fit for the company or the rest of my team. Period. Race, age, gender, religion, politics, sexual preference, etc never even enter my mind as qualification criteria. I've hired female developers, minority techs, and liberal engineers. It simply doesn't matter to me and never will, regardless of whether any company I work for now, or in the future, has some quota, official or unofficial. I pick my own team. End of story.
The legal pitfalls that come with hiring employees are insane. You are, of course, aren't allowed to discriminate in any way when hiring/recruiting/referring employees, but if you happen to hire the wrong amount of one race/gender/whatever compared to another you open yourself up to a lawsuit. For instance, if you have a test that applicants take, and white people happen to score higher than minorities, you can be sued if you use that test as a basis for hiring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicag...Civil_Rights_Under_Law#Lewis_Firefighter_Case

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
if I had an officer candidate that was AA but did not claim it on the application then technical I don't get credit for an AA accession

What happens if you get ten in a month? A free set of steak knives?

What did @MAKE VAPES tag line used to say? "The Navy's moral vector and mine are approaching perpendicular"....?

Did I quote that right?