• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diver

Ralph

Is there a reserve dive unit? If so how difficult is it to enlist in that MOS? Also how tough is dive school?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't know if there is a reserve dive unit, though enlisting to dive active duty is not difficult if you have a decent ASVAB. Dive school is, by most accounts, pretty difficult. That's the depth of my knowledge.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Pretty physically demanding from what I understand. I don't think it's a tough academic school, but the dive guys beat the crap out of you daily for the 8 or 12 weeks (or however long it is).

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The academics weren't tough for dive school, but it is physically demanding (at least it was in '95, when I went through the scuba course). There is a P.T. screening test...if you can just barely pass it you are going to struggle when you get there. Like a lot of military schools the way to get through it is...to not quit. Most of the folks I went through that attrited, did it during pool week. You have to swim around with your dive buddy and you get your mask ripped off and have to solve little "problems" which the instructors have set up for you with your regulator outside of your mouth (practice your breath hold if you go). I had a bad-ass, super in shape Navy Chief quit when he saw what was going to happen. Me, I figured the Navy would never drown me...too much paperwork. :icon_tong

There used to be a screening interview, but if you are interested go ahead and read up on the following website...it has the courses and info on each of them.
https://www.npdc.navy.mil/ceneoddive/ndstc/

Hooyah!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Is there a reserve dive unit? If so how difficult is it to enlist in that MOS? Also how tough is dive school?

If you are near a local dive unit they may be able to provide you with free PT in order to get up to speed. Same can be said if you have a local ASTC; their divers will do the same.

On edit; a couple of the civilian divers at my last command were in the reserves...they did a lot of EOD stuff in the sand.

schwarti

Contributor
Sort of off topic, but this reminded me that Men of Honor is on FX tonight at 8pm EDT.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I went to dive in school in 93 (93-110-2C I think). When I enlisted there was a special divefare program that guaranteed you Diver, EOD or SEAL. Good idea however the instructors at the school hated you because prior to that you had to go to the fleet for a few years and then put in your application for dive school. I attrited for 2 push-ups. Well I did more then required but they weed people out. I requested CO's Mast to stay and was told by the acting CO (XO) that if I were an Officer he could help me out. But since I was not, I was going to the fleet. Got my orders that day to the Saratoga. But back to your original question. The physical stuff was harder on me then the academics. Most struggle with one or the other. As with any school be prepared prior to going and you should do alright. Dive school has nothing to do with swimming. Well you have to be able to swim but you have to be comfortable in the water. Have your buddy try to drown you and see if you freak out. If you do then think twice about dive school. It's not all coral reefs and fishes.

Smoke

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
I'm gonna dig this up and ask a question:

It is said that ND is open to women, but how truthful is that statement, really? I understand it is an extremely physical pipeline (what pipeline isn't physically demanding in the military, though?), but that's one aspect that draws me to it in the first place.

(I ask because my family is deadset on the idea that there are no women NDs/EODs).

JTB7

I'm gonna dig this up and ask a question:

It is said that ND is open to women, but how truthful is that statement, really? I understand it is an extremely physical pipeline (what pipeline isn't physically demanding in the military, though?), but that's one aspect that draws me to it in the first place.

(I ask because my family is deadset on the idea that there are no women NDs/EODs).
edit: nevermind...

Best to talk to a recruiter about that.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've met 2 female Navy EOD personnel, one officer, one enlisted.