• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DITY move with travel trailer

theduke

I know you normally get paid for the weight of the trailer itself if you own it (rather than rent it), but from what I've read, there seem to be some stipulations regarding travel trailers (and horse trailers, depending on what source you're reading).

They say to check with PSD for additional guidance (which I'll do), but while I'm thinking about it, I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows what the deal is.

MasterBates

Trailers over a certain size are NOT household goods.

I want to say its 13' and single axle, but don't hold me to that. Ask PPO, they know the cutoffs.

My 31' trailer is NOT HHG, and I have to empty it, weigh empty, then refill it.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
theduke,

The trailer issue stems from people using trailers and overloading them. Most likely, PSD will have you show the trailer's registration and proof of insurance. They also track the trailers load capacity in order to CYA themselves from liability of "approving" your DITY. Sometimes they will also use those numbers to refute a unsafely high DITY weight claim.

Hope this helps...

MasterBates

Ive never had that, and I am the KING of overloading poor U-Drag equipment.

They do it more to keep people like me from being able to claim their 8300# camper as household goods.

You know how easy my life would be if I could just hook the trailer up and go? Easiest DITY ever.

theduke

yeah, i have a V10 Ram to pull it with, and I could fit all of my stuff in the truck and a moderately sized travel trailer without any problem.

I figured there were either some hoops you'd have to jump through (since it doesn't say outright anywhere i've been able to find that you can't use a travel or horse trailer), or they just weren't cool with paying you for the weight (4-8k+) of a travel trailer.

MasterBates

Here was my last DITY move,

F250 Diesel, and a 31 foot camper.

I emptied the camper (I live in it) and weighed empty.

Filled camper and weighed full. They pay for the "stuff" in the camper, but not the camper itself.. Kind of irks me because a lot of my furniture (bed/couch, etc) is "built in" and does not come out without massive deconstruction work.

But that is how it is.

theduke

well, I contacted PSD...they told me to contact Personal Property.

Personal Property was COMPLETELY clueless. First of all, the first petty officer I talked to didn't know what a travel trailer was. I explained, then after conferring with his coworkers, he said that in no case (whether or not you own ANY trailer) do you get paid for the weight of the trailer (I know for a fact that this is false), and that to determine the weight of the HHG inside the trailer, you only needed a loaded weight ticket (no empty weight ticket). His claim was that you could then subtract the GVWR of the trailer (which is not only not correct in terms of what is required for a DITY move, it is incorrect in that the GVWR does not represent the empty weight of the trailer).

I just gave up and figured I'd call Cherry Point tomorrow (i.e., where I'm PCSing to).

MasterBates

They won't take the manufacturers TARE weight (what they say it takes empty).

You gotta weigh it empty, just like it was a Uhaul trailer.

My paperwork is in storage, but I will dig for it later.