• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DitY move with trailer

punx_clever

Gent's:

I'm about to move to P-cola for API and have some questions regarding DitY moves and trailers.

To start off the story, I have a motorcycle that I will be transporting down with me, plus all the random junk a college student would have (books, computer, kitchen stuff, etc). I also have a 7x14 tandem axle enclosed trailer that is used PRIMARILY for hauling the bike around and the associated tools and gear.

When filling out the form on Smart Web Move they noted that a personal trailer can't be counted in the weight of your HHG's UNLESS:
1)It's single axle
2)Smaller than 6x12
3)Something about sideboards no taller than 2 feet

But, it also noted that those requirements don't apply if the trailer is used to haul a jet-ski, snowmobile, or motorcycle. (emphasis added)

Looking at the pamphlet "It's your move" published by the DoD in section M "what you may ship as hhg", part 5 it says,
"A vehicle other than a POV (such as a motorcycle, moped, hang glider, golf cart, or snowmobile [and/or the associated trailer])."
with no mention of trailer specifications or dimensions.

The way it reads to me, not necessarily to the guys with the money, is that my trailer counts in the HHG weight because its use is to haul the motorcycle, making it an "associated trailer." To further that argument I have a tie down system installed in the trailer specifically for the motorcycle.

If any of you have advice or information to pass on to me about this, I would greatly appreciate it. I've shot an e-mail to my counselor with JPPSO about it as well, and will let everyone know what he says.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick Smith

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Yep you should be good. Just be ready to back it up with proof if you ever get it audited or whatever. My former roommate through flight school did 3 moves with his trailer about the same size, trailer paid for itself after the first move pretty much, and he was able to claim it as a motorcycle trailer.

Bevo16

pilot
As long as you don't rent a U-Haul trailer, have the Navy pay for the trailer and then try to claim the weight of the trailer as household goods in the move...you should be OK.

That's the only way that I have ever heard of someone getting busted. He was even given the chance to pretend that it was an "honest mistake" and pay the money back. Instead, he tried to play the "Navy is screwing me" card, so he went to mast and got kicked out of the Navy.

punx_clever

Gent's:

Thanks for the quick replies. You have brought my temperament for today to where it should be. I am still awaiting information from my counselor, but I assume from previous questions this will go over smoothly with him as well.

Thanks again!

V/R
Patrick Smith

schmiddj

If no one minds me butting in, I've got a follow-up to punx_clever's question:

I'm in practically the same situation, except my motorcycle is instead a 15-foot boat and my trailer is a 25-footer. I've read that any boat (regardless of weight or powered/unpowered) over 14 feet is also considered HHG and therefore the trailer for that boat is included as HHG. My moving counselor has told me the trailer cannot count as HHG because it is a covered trailer, although the boat weight will count.

Is this the case and/or are there any other restrictions for a boat to count as HHG? I sincerely appreciate anyone's help.
-Doug Schmidt

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I also had a roomate with a motorcycle trailer, and he was able to count the weight each time.

As for the boat question I am pretty sure your counselor is mistaken, but I'm not 100% Back yourself up by doing your own research and google the JFTRs and look for the section on DITY HHG and BOATS.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html

schmiddj

I appreciate the info - thanks for the quick response! As it turns out I won't be able to ship the boat for my own reasons, but after a little research into the DOD travel regulations it appears that the only restriction is indeed that the boat be over 14 feet in length, and that the trailer be used exclusively for the boat (no restrictions on the trailer).

In any case, thanks for the help.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
As long as you don't rent a U-Haul trailer, have the Navy pay for the trailer and then try to claim the weight of the trailer as household goods in the move...you should be OK.

That's the only way that I have ever heard of someone getting busted. He was even given the chance to pretend that it was an "honest mistake" and pay the money back. Instead, he tried to play the "Navy is screwing me" card, so he went to mast and got kicked out of the Navy.

I didn't think that the Navy would pay for a trailer rental... I'm going to be renting a U-Haul and a car-carriage trailer for the back of it (to haul my POV with me). From what I understand, the navy won't compensate me at all for this tow-behind trailer. Anyone have any knowledges on this?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I didn't think that the Navy would pay for a trailer rental... I'm going to be renting a U-Haul and a car-carriage trailer for the back of it (to haul my POV with me). From what I understand, the navy won't compensate me at all for this tow-behind trailer. Anyone have any knowledges on this?

You will get reimbursed for the weight of your HHG. So, weigh the UHaul empty, weigh full, delta is your HHG weight. Then PPO takes that weight times some magic vodoo number (rate for current to next PDS), and out pops a number for your DITY reimbursement. That amount (plus the travel mileage and perdiem) is supposed to cover the UHaul and trailer rental. You'll include the UHaul receipts, but that just reduces the amount your are taxed at.

So short answer, no, you don't get directly reimbursed for the UHaul, but the money you get paid for the weight of HHG you move should cover, if not exceed, the cost of the UHaul.

BTW, congrats on winging. East or West coast?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I rented a Penske truck and car trailer. The car trailer was not an allowable deduction with DITY because they don't pay for shipment of POVs so they don't recognize it as a viable expense. However, you can claim ANY unreimbursed expenses related to your move on your tax return so I claimed the rental cost of the car trailer. I figured the actual truck would fall under the DITY reimbursement so I didnt claim that on my tax return.

cwc73

pilot
How do you put the paperwork in for the trailer? Do you just present them the title?

I ask because how else would they know what size/type the trailer is?

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
I was told I needed to provide the trailer registration with my DITY paperwork. That gives length and dry weight. Or you can weight the car/trailer empty, then fill it up, weigh again.

cwc73

pilot
I figured that.

Let me lawyer this one.....

If I get an enclosed trailer to haul my "boat" which is any boat over 14 feet or personal watercraft, the manual doesnt specify what type of trailer it has to be which qualifies an enclosed trailer.

I think it's a loophole but that is a CYA.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
My understanding was trailers <14' (13'?) were considered HHG. And so was whatever the hell you put in them. I.e. you get the weight of the trailer plus the HHG. My boat trailer is ~19', so the trailer itself doesn't count, but the boat does. Clear as mud?

punx_clever

Today talking to the PPO lady I asked her specifically about trailers...
If it is a motorcycle trailer, and by motorcycle trailer they mean a trailer which can ONLY be used to haul the motorcycle, it is HHG.
A boat trailer is not HHG. but like synix said, the boat is. Go figure.
A trailer less than 8x4xsomethin is considered HHG. Any bigger and it is not.

Bummer cause that's 2000 less lbs I can claim.