• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disqualification

ocs_hopeful

I went through MEPS 2weeks ago where i got disqualified because i had been treated for ADHD when i was a kid. I haven't been on medicine in four years, and i have around 120 flight hours right now. I also have four phys evals that say I no longer have ADHD. Should I get a waiver? And If so will that waiver hold me back at all in getting a slot?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

saltpeter

This is a question that would have to be answered by the docs. at NOMI directly. I'd have your recruiter call them and ask if there is a waiver available if you are evaluated by your personal physician that can attest that you no longer have a learning disability. Although; many illessness that are not rectified by age 12 are considered to be adult problems and waivers are then hard to obtain.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Hey, if the waiver is out there, go for it. If you got DQ'd, your pretty much HAVE TO if you want to even give it a chance. I don't know if it will hold you back, guess time will....................................................what were we talking about?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can be technically DQ'd and get a waiver if they decide you're "Aeronautically Adaptable" or somesuch term. I too was on Ritalin as a kid and have waivers for that and my PRK surgery. It's not out of the question.

ocs_hopeful

the doc said I was "prime material for a waiver," but they couldn't say i for sure I would get one. I am pretty sure I will because i have gone through some much **** with the FAA over ADHD and got cleared. I am more worried about if it will look bad on me getting into the flight slot I want. Anyone know anything bout that?

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Pdq

I went through MEPS 2weeks ago where i got disqualified because i had been treated for ADHD when i was a kid. I haven't been on medicine in four years, and i have around 120 flight hours right now. I also have four phys evals that say I no longer have ADHD. Should I get a waiver? And If so will that waiver hold me back at all in getting a slot?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

IF you were treated for ADHD after you turned 12 years old you're pretty much done if you told that to MEPS. If MEPS Permanently Disqualifies (PDQ) you, you're pretty much done because BMED and MEPS go hand and hand. You have to be qualified through BMED (Marine Corps) first before NOMI even has a chance to look at it. You might have a chance at going enlisted, but Officer is a long shot IF the ADHD was diagnosed after 12. Also, the MEPS record will stay in the system for at least two years before it drops out of the system showing that you were even there.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I was permanently disqualified from military service before I enlisted. It took a lot of work, and a lot of letter writing, but I was able to get a waiver. For me to get it, I had to go through my Congressman. It's amazing how quickly people started listening to my request once he was on my side. It's something that you might want to look into anyway. If you have any questions on the details of it, PM me.

MNU-OCS

Hold on second here. I was treated for ADD about 3 years ago. I had prescriptions for Adderal, Ritalin, and some other form of medicine. The military has relaxed its standards about this kind of thing. If you have been off the meds for over a year i believe then you are good to go. You will need to provide all documentation of your treatment and a written letter from your doctor saying you are not viewed as having ADHD any longer. You said you have 4 evals saying that you dont have ADHD. I dont understand why they dq'd you, i wasnt dq'd. ADD and ADHD are viewed the same from there point of view. As far as you not being able to get an officer slot, i dont see any reason why you shouldnt. I did. I am reporting to Quantico May 28, 2006. According to my OSO team, if you are cleared through MEPS and BUMED, then you are good to go. Again i dont understand why you were dq's, maybe some medical technicality i dont know of. I would think you should not have any problem getting a waiver approved, and like the above poster, get your congressman involved if all else fails.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Hey, if the waiver is out there, go for it. If you got DQ'd, your pretty much HAVE TO if you want to even give it a chance. I don't know if it will hold you back, guess time will....................................................what were we talking about?
No one commented on the joke, but I like it ... :p

FLY_USMC

pilot
Thank you, sometimes it takes a while with these Navy folk, you know the deal:)
<--nothing but love

batman527

Banned
Does anyone have an opinion relating to this question regarding the possibly over-diagnosis of ADHD? Using absolutely no scientific research or proof to back this idea, it seems to me that sometimes kids are diagnosed ADHD when they're perfectly normal (while very energetic) kids. Maybe I'm way off with this, but doctor's should think seriously about what they're going to do to a kid's self esteem, and, as we're seeing in this thread, career choice.

Carno

Insane
batman527 said:
Does anyone have an opinion relating to this question regarding the possibly over-diagnosis of ADHD? Using absolutely no scientific research or proof to back this idea, it seems to me that sometimes kids are diagnosed ADHD when they're perfectly normal (while very energetic) kids. Maybe I'm way off with this, but doctor's should think seriously about what they're going to do to a kid's self esteem, and, as we're seeing in this thread, career choice.
Ummmmm... yeah.

Attachments

• captainobvious.jpg
    captainobvious.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 34