• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Discovery Flight

srqwho

pilot
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but as of this morning my flight time was a combination of coach and business class. I have been up in smaller stuff before but as a passenger. So, I gave a local flight school a call and asked a few questions about cost and the protocol for taking lessons. I know that IFS is on the Navy's dime, but I just wanted to get in the front seat before OCS just to confirm a few things. For 99.00 I went up with an instructor on what they call their "discovery flight". It was only a bit over 1/2 an hour, but the IP essentially let me do all the flying except for parts of the landing. IT WAS AMAZING! Having said that, is there any good in taking a few more lessons/flights before I leave for OCS in Jan? Or even trying to get my PPL? I found a couple threads here that mention you can skip IFS if you already have your PPL. I guess my question is whether or not the pros outweigh the cons ($$) in getting my PPL now vs. during IFS.

Regardless, for anybody lurking here who is interested (like I was) I would really recommend calling a local school to see if they have a similar thing going if you have ZERO flight hours. If anything it'll be a kick in the rear to get moving on your packet, studying, etc...

Attachments

• 103ylb6.jpg
    103ylb6.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 119

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
if you really want, you can get a couple hours. It's fun, but if you've got other things to spend the cash on that are more pressing, just hold off. Now that you know how much fun it is to bomb around in a cessna, just use it as moto to get thru OCS and let the "fun" begin.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Do a search and you'll find a million different threads on the pros and cons of getting a ppl.
In my opinion, spending the time that you would fly in the gym is a much better application of time and money. OCS is the first and more important step for right now, add into the fact that almost everyone doesn't touch a plane till IFS anyway.

srqwho

pilot
Thanks to both of you. If I come across extra cash here and then I'll go back up for fun, but nothing more than that.

And "search" and I are growing closer, but we still are in the awkward phase.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Discovery flights are fun but 99 seems a bit high. I've been on 2 for under $60, and have 1.5 hours logged so far. I live in Orlando so there's about 5 places that offer them, so i'll probably go through all 5 just for the cheap flight time if I don't get selected. I don't plan on getting a PPL unless I never get in, just don't have the time. But a few hours on your app probably show that you're serious about flying and you aren't going to puss out down the line because you're scared of heights. Purely speculation though.

BullGator

About PPL and skipping IFS: I read that most recent thread this and it seems very unclear about skipping IFS if you have a PPL. When you get there, Srq, let us know what the current stance is on that. It'd be interesting to know regardless. Good luck in the OCS Jan. winter :D. That should be a blast for a fellow Sarasota guy's opinion. I did the PRT this morning at 0700 and it was balls-cold out, haha and this is FL! But then again, I could be in much better shape. ;) You'll do fine, just messing around. See you in the sky a little down the road buddy.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I had four or 5 hours when I showed up to API/IFS...

It was good, and I felt like I knew I was going to be happy flying... but, it was a completely different type of flying from what I am doing now. Do I recommend taking a few hours and throwing away a few hundred dollars for the fun of it? Yes, I do. Is it worth the time and effort to seriously go and spend $4000 and get your license? Hell no... especially not when you can take the test and get your license for $100 after winging.

bbf7b2

pilot
I had four or 5 hours when I showed up to API/IFS...

It was good, and I felt like I knew I was going to be happy flying... but, it was a completely different type of flying from what I am doing now. Do I recommend taking a few hours and throwing away a few hundred dollars for the fun of it? Yes, I do. Is it worth the time and effort to seriously go and spend $4000 and get your license? Hell no... especially not when you can take the test and get your license for $100 after winging.

You might have been able get a Private Certificate for 4 grand ten years ago, but these days it's more like 7-9 depending on a bunch of different factors. As for people taking just a couple lessons before going to OCS, my advice would be tell your CFI your story as it will work out better. When I know someone just wants to go cruise around and have fun in the airplane I have a whole different list of things to do than if I'm working with someone who's at the beginning of trying to get a certificate.