• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Sea Tour Likelihood

Bubba3183

Unfortunately if you fall within their current rules, you'll get zero sympathy from PERS. Their #1 job is to get you to a sea duty job, regardless of your individual situations. As @DanMa1156 mentioned, once you get clarification, picking something palatable early is probably the best option.
The questions that I'm asking are not just "am I going to be put on for a disassociated?" but also
  1. What is the likely shore-tour length that I should expect, given my unique circumstances?
  2. Should I inform PERS now (with command endorsement) that I request to have my PRD extended by 3 months in order to hit my MSR, or should I wait until later on? If they know NOW that I'm asking to extend to my MSR and thereby are going to resign, won't that mean that PERS will likely modify my shore-tour order SUPER SHORT to maybe 24 months in order to get as much as they can out of me for my disassociated vs. the minimum 12 months (ref: MILPERSMAN 1301-108) in order to PCS me to a CONUS Sea Duty?
These are all of the things that I am considering and I would really appreciate if there were individuals with PERS-43/detailer experience who could provide honest advice on what I can do for myself and my family.

Appreciate the help from everyone so far! :)

OscarMyers

None
Unfortunately if you fall within their current rules, you'll get zero sympathy from PERS. Their #1 job is to get you to a sea duty job, regardless of your individual situations. As @DanMa1156 mentioned, once you get clarification, picking something palatable early is probably the best option.
This is a no shitter, they are using every dirty trick in the book to get bodies in sea billets. First tour tester I worked with got pulled a year early from their test tour for a disassociated sea tour.... I'm currently trying to extend in place since I'll have 12 mos until retirement at my PRD (plan on applying at the 12 mos mark), and the response I got was that my PRD would be moved a month early so they could cut me sea duty orders before I could apply to retire at 24 years TIS....

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
This is a no shitter, they are using every dirty trick in the book to get bodies in sea billets. First tour tester I worked with got pulled a year early from their test tour for a disassociated sea tour.... I'm currently trying to extend in place since I'll have 12 mos until retirement at my PRD (plan on applying at the 12 mos mark), and the response I got was that my PRD would be moved a month early so they could cut me sea duty orders before I could apply to retire at 24 years TIS....

Do you mind if I ask where you are in your career? Post-DH, non-command O-5? Or what are you?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Semi related to the initial question for others curious about the PRD reduction…

I was told that the process of reducing a PRD for shore tours from 36 months to 30 months is purely manual. As in, all it takes is for your detailer to go in and edit your PRD. If you have been on shore tour for 6 months and it hasn’t already been updated in NSIPS, shoot them an email and they will give you an update.

OscarMyers

None
Do you mind if I ask where you are in your career? Post-DH, non-command O-5? Or what are you?
Prior E, O-4, Turned down OP-T. The new O-4 TIS is my long pole driving retirement at 24 years. Similar thing is happening to our XO, which is an unscreened O-5 billet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The questions that I'm asking are not just "am I going to be put on for a disassociated?" but also
  1. What is the likely shore-tour length that I should expect, given my unique circumstances?
  2. Should I inform PERS now (with command endorsement) that I request to have my PRD extended by 3 months in order to hit my MSR, or should I wait until later on? If they know NOW that I'm asking to extend to my MSR and thereby are going to resign, won't that mean that PERS will likely modify my shore-tour order SUPER SHORT to maybe 24 months in order to get as much as they can out of me for my disassociated vs. the minimum 12 months (ref: MILPERSMAN 1301-108) in order to PCS me to a CONUS Sea Duty?
These are all of the things that I am considering and I would really appreciate if there were individuals with PERS-43/detailer experience who could provide honest advice on what I can do for myself and my family.

I don't think there's anything to be gained by waiting to have this conversation. Reach out, let them know of your unique situation, and of your intent. They will be able to tell you what your actual/eventual PRD will be, and whether they intend on shortening it to get you into a disassociated tour. Make sure you coordinate with w/ your front office. If they are going to adjust your PRD to get another tour out of you, there probably isn't anything your command can do about it.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Isn’t there also a “Letter of intent” to resign that OP should be submitting? If he just starts the conversation and PERS doesn’t hear those magic words, they can cut him essentially whenever they want and get him for the disassociated (knowing full well what he is likely getting at but hasn’t established it officially). There are plenty of folks who have been in basically this exact position and it is kind of an elaborate high stakes poker game.

Fins Out

"three different Admirals have stated we have ~20k gapped sea billets."

tenor.gif

croakerfish

pilot

I don’t think they gain much from shorting you any more than necessary to get you to the disassociated sea tour.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Semi related to the initial question for others curious about the PRD reduction…

I was told that the process of reducing a PRD for shore tours from 36 months to 30 months is purely manual. As in, all it takes is for your detailer to go in and edit your PRD. If you have been on shore tour for 6 months and it hasn’t already been updated in NSIPS, shoot them an email and they will give you an update.
My previous detailer changed my post-DH shore PRD from 36 months to 16 months without so much as a phone call or email to me or the front office. He got handed a s**t sandwich from the last dude and was trying to fill 5 billets at one PMA in 3 months. I guess he figured since I was about to redesignate from 1310 to 1510 I could just roll super early - my Skipper set him straight. To be fair, a changed PRD isn't written orders, it's more like a WARNORD (if you're in FLTMPS and happen to see it).

So yes, it seems that damn easy. The only limit seems to be PERS business rules.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
"three different Admirals have stated we have ~20k gapped sea billets."

tenor.gif
That number is E-1 and up, I don't know what the number is for officers, but the majority of those gaps are due to the dumpster fire that is recruiting in the post-COVID, political bipolarity, everyone's fat and on drugs era.

OscarMyers

None
My previous detailer changed my post-DH shore PRD from 36 months to 16 months without so much as a phone call or email to me or the front office. He got handed a s**t sandwich from the last dude and was trying to fill 5 billets at one PMA in 3 months. I guess he figured since I was about to redesignate from 1310 to 1510 I could just roll super early - my Skipper set him straight. To be fair, a changed PRD isn't written orders, it's more like a WARNORD (if you're in FLTMPS and happen to see it).

So yes, it seems that damn easy. The only limit seems to be PERS business rules.
I got a buddy at pax that picked up AEDO, but he still had over a year until his PRD or put on O-4 to redesginate, so the detailer rolled him early to fill a 12 month sea billet on the west coast. Some of the stories I've been hearing are bonkers.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I got a buddy at pax that picked up AEDO, but he still had over a year until his PRD or put on O-4 to redesginate, so the detailer rolled him early to fill a 12 month sea billet on the west coast. Some of the stories I've been hearing are bonkers.
So he's going to be PCS'ed from Pax for a 12 month sea tour on the West Coast,and then PCS'ed back to Pax after that year tour? Like family and kids heading back and forth? Or, is there any other option (orders-wise) to not ping-pong the family (hypotheticaly he has one) from coast to coast?

Just trying to understand the Navy detailing process on how they're staffing these billets.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
So he's going to be PCS'ed from Pax for a 12 month sea tour on the West Coast,and then PCS'ed back to Pax after that year tour? Like family and kids heading back and forth? Or, is there any other option (orders-wise) to not ping-pong the family (hypotheticaly he has one) from coast to coast?

Just trying to understand the Navy detailing process on how they're staffing these billets.
I am not a detailer, but it's been made no secret that the Navy is struggling to fill at-sea billets and that includes within the Naval Aviation ones outside of squadrons in particular. PERS is doing everything they can to get third-tour pilots ("disassociated tour") and post-DH-non-command-select O-5s to the boat.

OscarMyers

None

He’s a single dude so a little less painful on the PCS front. Honestly, I’m not even sure he accepted a HHG move with the 24 month payback requirement in play. I’m not up to speed on all the details.