• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disappointed in NEX

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the advent of the internet (amazon.com, anyone?) and "big box stores", the NEX is past its prime and IMO, it's only a matter of time before they get axed in the more populated areas. There is no reasonable justification for a government-subsidized store on base beyond essential military items (uniforms and the like).

I've said it in another thread, but it's one of the first things I'd axe from the DOD budget if I ruled the world. Institute a metric along with a population density or distance from a metropolitan hub and kill them. There is no reasonable explanation that anyone living in San Diego should have a government-subsidized tax-free shopping mall when stores of every kind are within a 15 minute drive... or online.

Don't get me wrong, so long as they exist and I can score a comparable deal sans sales tax, I'll do it, but don't expect any sympathy when/if you can't find a "good deal" at the exchange compared to the rest of the world.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Something to consider when shopping at the NEX, a lot of times their electronics and "high end" items are actually off models. Similar to how Costco and Sams club sell off models, overseas models, etc. Which means that you may not find the same model there that you would out in town.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The NEX isn't gov't subsidized anymore. That's why it's not cheaper than other big-box stores and why it stayed open during the furlough.

You don't pay sales tax because they run on federal property and are not subject to state laws/taxes. That's why they'll sell alcohol to you at times when state laws forbid places out in town from selling it.

The commissary still is, though.

With the advent of the internet (amazon.com, anyone?) and "big box stores", the NEX is past its prime and IMO, it's only a matter of time before they get axed in the more populated areas. There is no reasonable justification for a government-subsidized store on base beyond essential military items (uniforms and the like).

I've said it in another thread, but it's one of the first things I'd axe from the DOD budget if I ruled the world. Institute a metric along with a population density or distance from a metropolitan hub and kill them. There is no reasonable explanation that anyone living in San Diego should have a government-subsidized tax-free shopping mall when stores of every kind are within a 15 minute drive... or online.

Don't get me wrong, so long as they exist and I can score a comparable deal sans sales tax, I'll do it, but don't expect any sympathy when/if you can't find a "good deal" at the exchange compared to the rest of the world.

I thought that the NEX paid for itself? I know the Commissary is subsidized, but I thought it was different for the NEX.

Also I use an iphone app called Red Laser. I scan the barcode of anything, and it finds the exact item at multiple stores and online with their prices. I scanned a nice Braun electric razor at Target, and found it for 60 dollars cheaper online. That alone paid for the app 20 times over. When I scan items at the NEX, it's worth buying them there about half the time. The rest of the time it's slightly better elsewhere or online. But when it's cheaper it can be a helluva deal. When you go there on "scratcher" days you can get a GREAT deal.

The other day I bought a new bed and dining room table. I waited for a scratcher weekend, and it happened to coincide with a STAR card 20% off sale for new card members. I got the STAR card, got like 50% off, paid off the card, and canceled it a few days later. It worked out pretty well.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Concur. NEX and the commissary are crap. I've had to utilize the services of both a lot over the past five years due to locations, and they're awful. I've wasted more money on produce that molds than I want to think about.

magnetfreezer

The NEX isn't gov't subsidized anymore. That's why it's not cheaper than other big-box stores and why it stayed open during the furlough.

You don't pay sales tax because they run on federal property and are not subject to state laws/taxes. That's why they'll sell alcohol to you at times when state laws forbid places out in town from selling it.

The commissary still is, though.
Are the gas stations subsidized differently? You'd figure in most states gas would be 40-50 cents cheaper at the NEX w/the lack of taxes.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Are the gas stations subsidized differently? You'd figure in most states gas would be 40-50 cents cheaper at the NEX w/the lack of taxes.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you still pay taxes on NEX gas. Could've sworn I saw the words "(incl. tax)" last time I filled up there.

Concur. NEX and the commissary are crap. I've had to utilize the services of both a lot over the past five years due to locations, and they're awful. I've wasted more money on produce that molds than I want to think about.
I do quite a bit of shopping there, but I'd never buy meat or produce there. Everything else, though...it's kinda hard to screw up Pop-Tarts.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
We still do most of our grocery shopping at the comissary, but the next closest grocery stores are Trader Joe's and Whole Foods so it's much cheaper for us. As far as the NEX goes, with price matching, as long as they have the specific item I want, I'll purchase there, not only to save the tax but also because they donate so much of their profits to help fund MWR programs.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm in the DC area now, living 7 mins from Ft Myer; gas is 20-30 cents cheaper than in town, booze and beer are cheaper, the commissary saves us money on staples (we skip most of the produce and meat, as others have said), and the MCX at Henderson Hall has some of the nicest stuff I've ever seen in an exchange. I understand that the MCX is not standard, but they have a ton of Brooks Brothers, RL, Vineyard Vines clothing and Allen Edmonds shoes if you like to dress like an middle-aged WASP (which is the look I usually rock), as well as plenty of high-end cosmetics for the wife and daughter.
The Vineyard liquor store has a serious stock of wine, liquor, beer and cigars at prices that crush most of the outside (except for BevMo and other alcohol superstores), and the gas station mini-mart stays open until 10 pm and has lots of alcohol (a friend stops by for dinner on a Saturday, we have no beer...I cruise out, back in 15 with a case, and I'm considered the hero).

I greatly appreciate all of their services - you'll never hear me badmouth them.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
(a friend stops by for dinner on a Saturday, we have no beer...I cruise out, back in 15 with a case, and I'm considered the hero).

Mister Emergency Beer Run Guy, we salute you!

Bud+Light+Presents+Real+American+Heroes.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you still pay taxes on NEX gas. Could've sworn I saw the words "(incl. tax)" last time I filled up there.
There is a federal gas tax @ 18.4 cents/gal.

Not sure if they throw state in there, too.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The Vineyard liquor store has a serious stock of wine, liquor, beer and cigars at prices that crush most of the outside (except for BevMo and other alcohol superstores), and the gas station mini-mart stays open until 10 pm and has lots of alcohol (a friend stops by for dinner on a Saturday, we have no beer...I cruise out, back in 15 with a case, and I'm considered the hero).

I greatly appreciate all of their services - you'll never hear me badmouth them.
Not to be debbie downer, but the military believes there is a drinking and driving problem and suicide problem that is heavily correlated to alcohol abuse, and the only advantage that is agreed upon among all posters in this thread is that base facilities offer more round-the-clock access to booze.