• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Digital Camera Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuSnake

HOw many pics, approx, will 16MB hold. I just got a camera and need to figure out if i need more memory right now. Thanks.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That depends on the megapixel value of your camera and the settings you put on it. For example, my digital camera is only a 2megapixel that I bought over a year ago (NIKON Coolpix), and saves pictures ~700k, so I can take around 18-20 pics on a 16mb card. I have a 256mb compact flash card, so that allows me to take around 270 pictures before I have to download. I don't know what the memory is for your digital camera, but compact flash cards are cheap, even the faster data rate versions, you should be able to find a 512mb for under $90.

But, your camera should show you on the display how many pictures are remaining. My immediate guess, and suggestion, is that you spring for a larger memory card...

twidget

Deskaholic
No more Nikons for me. I had a Coolpix 2500 that worked great for the first year, then the zoom mechanism froze up. They tell me it runs $150-200 to fix, but new 2MB cameras run about the same as getting mine fixed. $275 bucks for 1 years worth of pictures!
banghead_125.gif

By the way, for any 2M technicians that want to try taking one of these things apart, make sure you discharge the flash capacitor first. Man, those thing pack a wallop, or so I hear...
hot_125.gif
skull_125.gif

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mine NIKON is still running like a champ, and I have taken roughly 3800 pix with it. It has been in my flight suit and bounced around on two deployments so far. Though I am looking at the Cannon A50, 5megapixel camera....

stevew

I have a Canon S30 and it is awesome.
The higher the resolution pictures you take the more memory it eats on the card. Its a 3.2 magapixel and I can squeeze about 60 or so shots out of a 128 card at the highest resolution and about 250 at the lowest res. I hate using low res cause its alway that time when you take the perfect picture you wanna enlarge then realize that you took it at low res and it wont go bigger than 4x5
boggled_125.gif

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Speaking of pictures, what service is everyone using? I have tried Shutterfly a couple of times, anyone try or using anything else?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm a MIS guy, but I have a question for you other camera nerds. I have an Olympus D-560, 3.2 Megapixel, 10X optical/digital zoom. I bought it off ebay, and it was a refurbished camera. The only reason it was returned was for a very small mark (I won't even call it a scratch) on the backside panel. Anyways, I run into a problem of frequently losing battery life really fast. Sometimes that batts are fine, but then other times they go after I take four or five pictures. Any thoughts? One more thing, when you guys take pictures, do you leave the camera on? Is it bad to be constantly turning it on and off if your pictures are few and far between? Thanks.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have two sets of lithium rechargable batteries, the second set is a MUST, especially when taking pictures at night with the flash. I turn my camera on and off, to keep from wasting the battery.

version2point0

the battery life is sucked the most when the LCD screen is on and right after taking a picture, the camera needs a lot of energy to encoding the picture. i found this out the hard way too, without a backup. on mine (the 2.0 MP) the battery can power the camera to make about half of the images that my 16 meg card can hold. whatever the resolution, it will make half the pics before it dies. so if i was on hi res, thats only like 36 pics. if im on low res, that like 150 pics.

the rechargable battery looks like 2 AA batteries, so i tried AA batteries in mine and it worked fine, but regular SS batteries can only power the camera for half the time of the rechargable battery, so thats only 1/4 of the actual picture power. man these things suck power! but anyway, i keep AA for emergency backup in my camera pack and two rechargables. oh! and always make sure you discharge the battery almost fully before recharging it. it lives longer if you do that. i kept shooting one or two pictures when i first got the camera then i would put it on the kodak dock to charge it, and the battery only lasted 2 months. the next one i would dock it to load the pictures and then remove it so the battery would die before i recharged it and it lasted twice as long

-v2.0

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
I tried snapfish and was pretty unhappy with the results - all of my pictures were bent on the corners. I had ordered about 200 pictures and they crammed them into a box that was obviously too small. I usually use www.photoworks.com.

HueyHornet75

pilot
just bought a canon S50 and it is bomb-ass. great online retailer:www.profeelvideo.com. got a panasonic mini DV camera from them, too. great prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.