• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platforms/different lifestyles?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
what pain does being single seat bring about? don't tell me your one of those guys that brag about not having to do anything in the jet but "start up, join up & shut up" while your WSO does everything for you (comms/navs/radar/etc). I've heard guys brag about that and it's disgusting (the most recent was an Academy grad freshly out of the SH RAG, bragging about how he barely made it through K-rock & the SH RAG and was glad he now has a WSO 'cause he doesn't have to "do jack shit but fly" ... that's the future of Naval Aviation.

HE may be a future of Naval Aviation (and he sounds pathetic at that), but to assume that every two-seat pilot thinks that way is complete and utter ignorance.

1. Collateral duty and ground job situation MUCH better in a two-seat squadron.

2. Duty rotation is MUCH, MUCH better in a two-seat squadron.

3. More people to hang out with in port, on ship, etc. (that can also be a negative)

4. With two heads working in unison, a two-seat cockpit can be much more potent than a single-seat cockpit. The bombs-on-target stats for our F squadron are above and beyond the E and C squadrons in our airwing.

5. FAC(A) and RMC, two quals not available to single-seat.

6. When your SA bubble pops, the guy in the back seat can get your head back in the game, and vice versa.

and I'm told a poor one is an SA sponge.

True. But then again, having a poor single-seat guy in your flights is also an SA sponge.

I'll take the extra gas.

Take it, you need it.

Look, I don't give a sh!t if you like single-seat or two-seat, there is a place for both and they both have positives and negatives. I'm saying I would much rather fly in a crewed Rhino than a single-seat Hornet. Personal preference.

Take it or leave it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm assuming those are HS guys...how else are people supposed to know you're tactical unless you have tactical patches? It's also important that you be able to un-velcro your rank.

Yep, HS. The "tactical" patches (what a misnomer... you sanitize before going in-country) and the velcro rank are the most ridiculous things ever. ESPECIALLY the velcro rank, what a joke.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Yep, HS. The "tactical" patches (what a misnomer... you sanitize before going in-country) and the velcro rank are the most ridiculous things ever. ESPECIALLY the velcro rank, what a joke.

We're required to provide our rank (as well as name and service number) if we're captured anyway. WTF?

Anything else they want will come out shortly after they attach your nuts to a car battery.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, you get a cruise under your belt and you become a real HS hater.

I have no hate for HS, whatsoever. I'm just stating that the "tacticool" patches and velcro rank are utterly ridiculous. I've never seen anyone else ever do it.

MasterBates

SO I was not supposed to fly overland in Iraq with squadron patches and my MASTER nametag?

HSL must not have gotten that memo..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We're required to provide our rank (as well as name and service number) if we're captured anyway. WTF?

Technically, that's not exactly true. It will come out, and you may give it very shortly, but it's not something you volunteer.

However none of that counters the fact that velcro rank just looks silly.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Technically, that's not exactly true. It will come out, and you may give it very shortly, but it's not something you volunteer.

However none of that counters the fact that velcro rank just looks silly.

Have they changed the Geneva convention or SERE school gouge since I've been through? How is that not required?

You're right, though. It will eventually come out, and velcro rank/subdued patches are gay.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have they changed the Geneva convention or SERE school gouge since I've been through? How is that not required?

I didn't say it wasn't required, just not something that's volunteered. W/out getting into the SERE details, let me put it this way: if you're pulled over for speeding, and the officer asks how fast you were going, and you know it was 65 in a 55, and he knows it was 65 in a 55, you're still not going to say "65, officer."

Pags

N/A
pilot
Wow, you get a cruise under your belt and you become a real HS hater.

nah, i got nothing but love for all my helo brothas, i just think some people (in my community as well) take the "tactical" thing a little too far.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
1. Collateral duty and ground job situation MUCH better in a two-seat squadron...

2. Duty rotation is MUCH, MUCH better in a two-seat squadron.

3. More people to hang out with in port, on ship, etc. (that can also be a negative)

4. With two heads working in unison, a two-seat cockpit can be much more potent than a single-seat cockpit. The bombs-on-target stats for our F squadron are above and beyond the E and C squadrons in our airwing.

5. FAC(A) and RMC, two quals not available to single-seat.

6. When your SA bubble pops, the guy in the back seat can get your head back in the game, and vice versa..
no hate, mate, your post came off as "one of those guys"

#1 - true, and IMO, the only reason to go two seat.
#2 - I was (un)lucky to stand duty once a month in my single seat squadron (we were land based the time I was there though, maybe the difference between little duty vs a lot of duty)
#3 - blah, I'll pass on partying with a bunch of dudes (then again, as the saying goes, it ain't gay if your underway, right?)
#4 - did you guys do bombing derby's? I'd be interested in seeing the stats from different deployments.
#5 - na, Marine single seat Hornets (and soon Harriers, if not already) are doing FAC (A)
#6 - true, or, when your head is in the game and his isn't, he becomes the SA sponge as you fight over who has control of the FLIR or radar.

True. But then again, having a poor single-seat guy in your flights is also an SA sponge..
maybe that guy shoulda went two seaters ...

Look, I don't give a sh!t if you like single-seat or two-seat ... personal preference.
true, it's personal preference ... when asked, I recommend single seats first tour so you learn to do everything by yourself ... and you'll get good at it. Then, if you come back for a second tour, go two seaters if you don't want to work as hard as your first tour.

again, no hate, just two different preferences.

S/F

Fetter

Second, I would ask the same question to you. Considering most of these individuals are where you want to be you might consider showing a little more humility and respect. The information Phrog and others like him presented is good information. The fleet is a very small place and this board is not really anonymous. If you have a problem with that you should more seriously entertain your notion of joining the Air Force.

Point taken.

I am very appreciative of everyone's time answering my questions; I have said it many times. I am humbled to be in the presence of you all. I will probably be meeting a few of you in the future, I understand that. (Interesting that phrogpilot is exactly where I want to be.) I am however quite surprised at the level of resistance I get here from a few. I figured this forum was a place for prospects like me who are not so informed, but want to be involved.