• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Differences in Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Curious as to what the physical differences in the F-14,15, and 18 are? It's kind of hard to distinguish the F-14 and the two seat F-15. I would just like to be able to look at a picture of one of the three and know. Any help?

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

JoeAE2005

The F-15's wings are shaped differently, as well as being fixed (not retractable like the F-14's). There's many other differences, like the canopy is shaped differently between the two, although the wings are most noticable.

The f-18 should be the easiest to identify among the three. The two vertical stabs are angled outward, the wings are set back more, as well as having long "fins" coming out of the sides. I forget what those are called. The vertical Stabs are also not positioned as far back relative to the engines, so the engines look like they stick out. The canopy is also sort of "beady" looking. F-18 = one sexy aircraft.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
The "fins" going back (below the cockpit transitioning into the wings) are "strakes."

The F-15's wings are more parallel to the ground whereas the F-14 wing tips droop more toward the ground (I think, right?).

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
just find some pictures and look at the differences.. they're quite obvious. most of your peers will probably be able to tell the difference from two miles away and the sun in their face. ea6b.. if you're getting ready to go to ocs i strongly recommend you a. obviously, work on getting or staying in shape, and b. pick up any and every book navy and aviation related and just become a sponge..

you're not wrong by asking the difference between the jets on here, but wouldn't it make more sense to find a book and study the pictures and read about each ones capabilities..?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Alright, well your the second person today who has, for the lack of a better word, tell me that I'm stupid for asking simple questions. I guess none of you were new to the military like I am. Yes, you're right. I could have just as easily gotten a book and looked at the differences, but if you aren't here to help others out, then stop posting. I'll get off my soapbox now. I just feel like I'm the "idiot" who asks the dumb questions, but in all reality I'm just trying to suck up all I can about aviation from this website. Maybe I'll be the one standing alone about this, but I know if I were in Prim, Adv, OCS, or wherever it might be I would more than willingly help someone else try to learn about what a great opportunity being an aviator can be... Thanks for your time
Have a nice day.
icon_smile.gif

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

JoeAE2005

If you're interested in being able to identify different aircraft, here are some good things you can do:

Watch video's of military jets
Get a book that gives a description of each jet, along with different viewing angles of it (An excellent book is Janes)
Buy a military flight simulator. You can normally cycle through all the jets in the game and look at the 3d models.
Buy and build plastic models of the jets.

After you do all of these, you'll be able to identify aircraft at a glance. You won't even have to look for specific differences, such as the ones I mentioned in my earlier post. Your brain will automatically recognize the shape of the jet from any angle, without even having to think about it.

-Joe

BeanFighter

pilot
Not strakes, LEX (leading edge extensions).
EA-6B1, I had the same inquiring mind when I got in. The best way to tell a Hornet is because it's gunning all the other jets! Press!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
hey man i'm with you. we can't all know everything without asking questions. don't let it get to you.

el_bastardo

Yeah, don't let it get to you. If you let this kind of criticism bug you, just wait until OCS. If you don't find a way to get a thicker skin, you'll be leaving before graduation day.

But, there are literally THOUSANDS of websites out there devoted to Marine and Naval aviation.

Coming here to ask relatively simple questions about airplanes is like going to a job interview for Boeing and asking what industry the company is in. Before you speak up, do your homework.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
You might find it helpful to check out http://www.airliners.net/

They have pictures of just about every plane or helo under the sun, civilian and military. Use the search function to look for different planes.
-Greg

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Its easier to look at individual pictures of each aircraft than have a member here try to describe them to you. I think that is what the others were trying to say. Dont get offended so easily. Take the advice given here as you will. Most arent trying to say you're stupid. They are just trying to give you ways to help ourself.

Dave

Goofytallguy

EA-6B1 - I too, am just beginning to recognize the differences between all the various aircraft, and while obviously you will be able to do it in an instant after gaining more experience, watching videos, being around them, and the like... it's nice to have a couple easy rules to distinguish them quickly.

First of all, in my opinion the F-14 is the easiest of the three to tell apart because while they are all dual engine... the F-14 is the only one with the two engines set several feet apart, just look at the rear of the jet and if there is a gap between the engines, that's the F-14.

Both the F/A-18 and the F-15 have their engines directly next to each other. As JOEAE2005 mentioned, the vertical stabilizers in the rear of the 18 are angled, whereas the f-15's are parallel. If you can't make that out, look at the leading edge of the wing. As jboomer mentioned, the F/A-18 has the extended strakes that lead into the wing, where as the leading edge of the F-15 wing is interrupted by the square jet intakes next to the fuselage.

Here are links to a few pictures that will help you see these differences.

http://militaryphoto.com/llinares/llinaresf14.html
http://militaryphoto.com/llinares/llinaresf15.html
http://militaryphoto.com/llinares/llinaresf18.html

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.

~Eric

JKD

It's not really a dumb question. Some enlisted rates have training dedicated to silhouette recognition.

As others have stated, The F14 has variable sweep wings. In the aft swept position they (with the horizontal stabilizers) look like a triangle. The French Mirage also has a triangle body, but it doesn't cover the whole body, just the middle.

Another recognition feature of the F14 is the dual vertical stabilizers (the fins pointing up) they stick straight up, where the F/A18 slant outwards.
duel intakes, dual exhaust. The intakes are below the wings and rectangular.

it goes on and on (former F14 Plane Captain)

Here is a site to look at https://www.fitcpac.navy.mil/reserves/isrtm/
you can get to the aircraft section from the left hand frame.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
this is one of the dumbest threads i've seen lately.. if he doesn't have the knowledge yet to recognize the difference between jets, then do you really expect him to know and completely understand what the hell vertical stabs, leading edges, and strakes... ea-6, please just follow my original advice and pick up some books. sure people on here could answer specific questions and that's fine. but at this point you need to build your overall general knowledge and this site, although very helpful, is sometimes full of misinformation. you can't try to learn everything you're going to need here..

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
when I was a kid and first started learning about jets I used to tell the difference by the way the exhaust ports on the engines were placed.

The f-15 has dual engines with the exhaust ports right next to each other but between the vertical stabalizers.

The F-14 has dual but they are spread apart a bit and the vertical stabalizers are right on top of each port.

The F/A- 18 also has dual ports that are right next to each other, but the vertical stabs are pushed way forward.

BTW...if you dont know the vertical stabs are the "fins" on the plane that point up. ;)

I do agree though, you should get some pictures of the three and examine them. You will realize the differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.