• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Developing Asthma after winging???

cricket_cricket

What happens to winged aviators if they develop Asthma after being winged and NFO?

Ship life, maintain flight status with waiver, or discharge?

I couldn't find anyone that developed Asthma after being winged, so hopefully someone has an answer. Thanks.

Paid2Fly

Hear ya

Some people are born with it. Some get it over time. I know there are waivers that you can request through your flight doc. I came in on a waiver because I had it when I was a kid. If you have symptoms after the age of 12/13 it can be a huge pain in the ass. Before you do that and spill your guts to your doc know that it will open a can of worms that is difficult to close. I recommend you get a second opinion from another doc. Some silly-villian docs will tell you anything to get you to spend your hard earned $$ on the tests, treatment and other medical services. It may fall under the same category as those whose vision deteriorates when they get older. They get glasses and some fly with contacts. Lots of folks get special consideration because at this point there is bunch of money invested in your training and they probably want to retain you. If you get a little wheezy around animals it is one thing. If it is affecting your ability to perform your job you have an obligation to either get it looked at.

cricket_cricket

Sorry, posted to quickly, I found the sticky right after I posted. It answers all my questions. Thank you.

Looks like some possibly harsh consequences for fessing up to the more impairing types of Asthma. Mine is very light, probably allergy induced. For now I'm monitoring it, if it gets to be an issue I'll fess up.

Does any have any horror stories on people getting med discharged for Asthma? I read all the stories of people having issues getting in the mil?

I know it's case-by-case from reading the waiver guide, depending on severity. Just fielding stories, churning the rumor mill. I read on another site, a guy got sick in boot and in turned into asthma and he was trying to get disability, saying it was the AF's fault for not treating him.

Thanks for all the responses and the pointer to that site.

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
Are you sure it's actually asthma?
I had "asthma" after the age of 13. It pushed my application back about 6 months while I got a waiver. The only way you can prove that you don't actually have asthma is the Methacholine challenge test.

maijanka

PRO REC SNA
Sorry, posted to quickly, I found the sticky right after I posted. It answers all my questions. Thank you.

Looks like some possibly harsh consequences for fessing up to the more impairing types of Asthma. Mine is very light, probably allergy induced. For now I'm monitoring it, if it gets to be an issue I'll fess up.

Does any have any horror stories on people getting med discharged for Asthma? I read all the stories of people having issues getting in the mil?

I know it's case-by-case from reading the waiver guide, depending on severity. Just fielding stories, churning the rumor mill. I read on another site, a guy got sick in boot and in turned into asthma and he was trying to get disability, saying it was the AF's fault for not treating him.

Thanks for all the responses and the pointer to that site.

Did you know you had asthma and did not disclose it while going through selection? I had asthma as a kid and from what I have been told asthma does not really develop in adulthood. You are born with it and it either sticks with you or you grow out of it. I would never try to tell you what to do but if you are going to put yourself or others at risk the right thing to do is pretty clear. If you don't have asthma then disregard my statement.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot

Does any have any horror stories on people getting med discharged for Asthma?

Where are these questions coming from and why are they coming up now? You're almost a winged aviator and now its becoming an issue? If you made it through OCS how could asthma possibly be affecting you now?

cricket_cricket

I am winged. People can develop asthma later in life. Adult onset asthma is the name and it generally appears after the age of 50. See this link or Google adult onset asthma. I had no problem in OCS or during training.

I was very sick a while back (6 weeks), ran 103ish for a few days, doc said this could also just be PITS (post inflamatory something something). Brought on by being sick.

Could also just be allergies. I had very similar symptoms years ago while enlisted and in Florida. Allegra cleared it up and docs chalked it up to allergies. NOMI didn't raise any flags on it, they said it was no factor since I hadn't had any recurring symptoms for over 3 years and was not using an inhalor. I have never hid anything from the docs, I'm not endangering anyone.

Seemed a little worse this time. Hence my concern and posting here. I've been fine for several days and doc med up'd me yesterday. I even ran 5 miles a few days ago with no problem.