• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Details on Location for IFS

Cruzado45

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Navy assigns you to a specific place for IFS or if you can make that call on your own. I have a decent idea of how things will go during and after API, just not post-OCS and Pre-API. Thanks for any help you all can give.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My info's dated about 3 years, but when I was going through they randomly assigned people unless you had a good reason for wanting a specific location. When Destin was still open, for example, my roommate there was engaged to a guy who was in EOD school, so she requested (and they gave her) that assignment so she could be near him before he PCSed.

Cruzado45

Okay. I don't really think I'll be requesting a specific place unless I truely need it (I'm not in the service, just trying to get a rough idea of how things'll go). I can roll with the punches that military life'll bring (family's done it for years), just I like to be prepared (Eagle Scout, it's a way of life). Thanks for the info :)

And just out of curiousity, any ideas or knowledge of how much time I might get in terms of moving from OCS to IFS? I'm sure it varies, but just want thoughts...

Thanks

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
And just out of curiousity, any ideas or knowledge of how much time I might get in terms of moving from OCS to IFS? I'm sure it varies, but just want thoughts...

You get four days to travel from Newport to Pensacola. If you want more time, you can take leave (although you probably won't have very much to use). Once you actually show up in Pensacola, they'll put you on the list to start IFS, your wait to actually start will depend on how many people are ahead of you on the list (basically). YMMV, but I was commissioned in November, took a little leave en route, checked in to Schools Command at the very end of November, and started IFS in January.

Cruzado45

Alright, that'll be good. I know I'm a good ways off from joining, but I'm anxious to get started. I've wanted to fly my whole life and hope that my dream will come true. Thanks for all your info Ezekiel, glad you could help me. Good luck in all your progress through training!

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Got down here beginning of June and classed up for ifs three weeks later...generally they assign you to the school closest to your location, but it depends on what schools have openings...also depending on which school you get, you could either be doing ground school at NASC or at the FBO

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
As with everything, timing is essential. There are two ladies that run classes...one week one of those ladies classes up Milton, Skywarriors, etc. and the other week the other lady classes up Gulf Shores, Mobile, and Foley. You may get any one of those depending on which week you class up.

beaverslayer

pilot
As with everything, timing is essential. There are two ladies that run classes...one week one of those ladies classes up Milton, Skywarriors, etc. and the other week the other lady classes up Gulf Shores, Mobile, and Foley. You may get any one of those depending on which week you class up.

And every week that people get sent to Skywarriors, the rumor circulates that THIS is the last class going there... and it never is.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I'm in IFS currently. There isn't anything you can do that will get the location of your choice. I am geo-bacheloring(family still living in Jax) and they put me up to live in the CBQ at NAS Whiting Field, so it would only make sense to send me to Milton, NOPE. They sent me to FTM (Flight Training Mobile), which flies out of Foley. However, it should be noted that one of the schools that was flying out of Jack Edwards has moved to Foley, so the odd of flying out of Foley has been increased. It all depends upon which week you class up. I've been in IFS (flying portion) for 3 weeks now due to staff on vacations and holidays and the weather. I'm set for a check ride tomorrow and solo on Wednesday. If I'd have classed up one week prior or later, I'd have gotten Milton probably. Good Luck. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

dhinkle5

pilot
So if you already have your PPL then you skip IFS? I know the AF makes everyone go through regardless of flight experience.

yakboyslim

None
You get four days to travel from Newport to Pensacola. If you want more time, you can take leave (although you probably won't have very much to use). Once you actually show up in Pensacola, they'll put you on the list to start IFS, your wait to actually start will depend on how many people are ahead of you on the list (basically). YMMV, but I was commissioned in November, took a little leave en route, checked in to Schools Command at the very end of November, and started IFS in January.

Take the leave if you want to. Don't worry about going in the hole. We are allowed to go in the hole after OCS, so it is pretty much advised to do so. You will not be given many opportunities to take leave during flight school and you will earn back any leave "debt" during this time. Take the leave when it is an option. My personal opinion is that the delay in getting down to Pcola will not affect anything either. Everyone from my OCS class took different amounts of leave and how far along they are in training now has less to do with that than just plain luck and the unseen and mysterious forces of the class-up list. One week of leave is not holding back your career.

If you already have a PPL you skip IFS.

FlyinRock

Well hell.... I'm back in the system of IFS and will be operating out of Foley with FTM. Beats sitting around twiddling my thumbs. The new studs are about to be subjected to some interesting outlooks and viewpoints, all within the standards of course. Got some interesting insights into the USAF ways of doing things while at LAFB as a T-6 sim instructor.
Semper fi
Rocky