• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception?

Mattatron

Now with extra pork!
pilot
Ok, so first off this is my first post but have been reading on this forum for over a year. I just want to say thank you to everyone here for sharing such useful information, it has helped me greatly In many ways.

I have just been Pro-rec'd for Pilot and passed my MEPS physical yesterday. I wear corrective glasses (chicks dig em) but both of my eyes are less than 20/40. Everything was going fine until I got to the depth perception part of the test (the one with the rows of circles and you have to say which one stuck out at you). Well I have never had a problem with my DP but I barely passed the test. First question: Was I supposed to wear my glasses for the exam, and is DP better without corrective lenses? Secondly is there a way to work on my DP so I don't have the NAMI sneak up on me and DQ me before I get to primary. Just as a note, I haven't really ever able to see those hidden image pictures. Anyone have any ideas or opinions? Thanks in advance.

Matt

navyboy4415

There is a way to correct depth perception and that is with vision therapy. Look online to find a optometrist that is located near you. You'll do various eye exercises and they will give you the tricks in how to correct your vision. And trust me it does work. I failed the depth perception test at MEPS and the RANDOT at the civilian doc. Now I can pass the RANDOT with flying colors.

If you have any other questions let me know.

PRIMUS

In order to get a pilot's slot don't you have to have at least 20/20 or better, uncorrected? When you said you had 20/40 and that you wear corrective lenses, I wonder how you're going to pass your physical before API. I understand that there is a laser waver but if you're still wearing glasses.....I'm just curious what the deal is with that.

Mattatron

Now with extra pork!
pilot
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE THE FREAKING SEARCH!

This has been discussed ad-nauseum.

I understand that this has been talked about many times, but in the matter of my questions regarding the exams procedure and possible DP correction, I hadn't found and answer in the existing forum threads. If you know of any, could you please link me to them?

In order to get a pilot's slot don't you have to have at least 20/20 or better, uncorrected? When you said you had 20/40 and that you wear corrective lenses, I wonder how you're going to pass your physical before API. I understand that there is a laser waver but if you're still wearing glasses.....I'm just curious what the deal is with that.

From everything that I have read (and been told by the recruiting staff at NRD Denver) As long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 and no worse than 20/40 in each eye, you can still qualify for a pilot slot. Either way, I passed everything so far and specifically asked the chief doc at MEPS if anything would DQ me and he couldn't find anything. Cross your fingers...

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Don't worry I was scared sh*tless cause I barely passed the test at meps, when I got down to Pcola I did fine on the test. Do the magic eye books, work on those, and then when you get down there, use the same techniques. I don't know how it is for glasses whether or not that makes a difference, but just relax and take your time.