• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

depth perception

ironmanc

So, this morning I went to MEPS (after being pro rec'd for SWO), and everything went great - except that I failed my depth perception test. My recruiter is out of town, so I couldn't ask him about this... will this be a problem for getting my final select for SWO? I know prospective aviators on this site have recommended going to a civilian optometrist to have another test, but is that necessary since I'm going SWO? I haven't been able to find any good info on this, and am worried that this might jeopardize my chances for final select. Thanks!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I think you might need to pass just to be eligible for the Unrestricted Line. What did your recruiter say? If it's something you need, I would play it on the safe side and go to a civilian optometrist.

Wingnut

Kill your television
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe Naval Aviator is the only one that requires depth perception. Per the NOMI page, depth perception of 40 arcseconds or better is required for NA, but not NFO. I'm guessing you have nothing to worry about, and really, if you have good vision and no history of eye problems, your depth perception is probably fine. Lots of people who've never had a wink of trouble with their vision have failed the MEPS DP test. I'm not sure if it's the test itself or old equipment (the machine when I went to MEPS didn't look very new, and the only other person who took the test that I know of also failed), but I very much doubt you have anything to worry about.

luckechance

A small percentage of people with good vision and DP can't pass the test they use, but they have to give you another type of test before they down you. I passed the other test and made it past the NAMI nightmare. A way to trick yourself to pass the test is to first look in the machine with your dominant eye closed, then open both eyes.

ironmanc

Thanks for the replies. Although I'm still waiting for my recruiter to come back from his vacation in order to consult with him, I think that my failure to pass the depth perception test at MEPS will have no bearing on being a SWO. According to this link, depth perception is (of course) required for Pilots, but not NFO's, AMDO's, or Intel. It doesn't say anything about SWO, but I'm inferring from all this that I'm alright. But if someone knows this to be incorrect please correct me!

fighterpfeif

Failed it to and I am going for SNA. I am already flying and I called my FAA medical examiner, they said "...AHHH if you don't have depth perception you should be dead, because you couldn't land the aircraft." Either I am a lucky SOB or MEPS exam is just plain useless.

Physicx

Banned
People always have a problem with that test. Your suppose to look through it and see the object that is moving.

ip568

None
The Navy uses a weird "floating circles" depth perception test that some have trouble with. It gave me a problem along the line despite two (2) opthalmologists (MDs) telling me by depth perception was fine and that the Navy test is the one that is unrealistic.
<P>
There is a fix. You fail the test if there is a slight weakness in either eye muscle set -- enough for that eye to wander just a tiny bit to the outside when you try to focus. The fix is that, just as they give the test, you briefly make your eyes cross and then relax them again. Your depth perception comes back.
<P>
Hope this helps. Of course, I am assuming that there is no real organic reason for you to fail the test. The Navy needs to know your depth perception is good.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I passed the depth perception. The test was the one with rows of cirlces and you're supposed to pick out which one is jumping out at you. That's fine, I would just look from one end of the line to the other to see which one was different, rather than look at the row as a whole.

What didn't help was the guy administering the test hurrying me along with his annoying "C'mon, c'mon" like I was the last thing standing between him and his lunch (I wasn't).

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
If you get to take it again try taking your head out of the viewer for each line of circles. For example, put your head in, pick out the circle on the first line as quick as you can without trying to focus on it, then pull your head out again, let your eyes re-focus, and repeat for each line. I failed that damn test the first time too (I had my head in the whole time and was trying to focus) and talked to a flight doc and this method was recommended to me. I aced it the second time. good luck

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have spoken to a former Air Force Flight Surgeon who is a current AME and he gave me the poop on depth perception after I failed it for SNA. I was told the SNA is the only job that requires depth perception. As for the quote above from an AME above referring that without depth perception you would be dead due to the inability to land, that is wrong. Depth perception is used mainly in formation flight and mid air refueling. Depth perception deals with the 10-20 feet in front of your head. Landing and flares, hopefully, should be done be shifting vision down the runway and using the horizon for reference.

Then again, I suppose every doctor has their own opinion and I do. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but I know focusing on the runway directly infront of the aircraft tends to lead to hard landings.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tom said:
I have spoken to a former Air Force Flight Surgeon who is a current AME and he gave me the poop on depth perception after I failed it for SNA. I was told the SNA is the only job that requires depth perception. As for the quote above from an AME above referring that without depth perception you would be dead due to the inability to land, that is wrong. Depth perception is used mainly in formation flight and mid air refueling. Depth perception deals with the 10-20 feet in front of your head. Landing and flares, hopefully, should be done be shifting vision down the runway and using the horizon for reference.

Then again, I suppose every doctor has their own opinion and I do. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but I know focusing on the runway directly infront of the aircraft tends to lead to hard landings.
Flare to land, squat to piss. :eek:

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Hey now, I've had to flare twice in the last two weeks turning around with too much gas.... :D
Sounds like a poor fuel management to me. ;)

Brett

The only time you've got too much gas is when you're on fire!

Seriously... Caution lights after takeoff are an annoying show stopper, especially the stupid ones you can't make go away.

HAHAHAHAH Oops... I tried to quote you and edited your thread.