• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth Perception- Waiverable Stds

Flyhappy01

BLUF: What are the waiverable limits to depth perception (If the standard is lines A-D, what if you pass through B?). And are the general vision requirement also waiverable (say, 20/40 is the standard, but 20/50 can be waived)?

And say, if you are waivered but can’t fly aircraft carrier planes, what’s left? Growlers are still available, right?

My history: USAF pilot select, DQ at MFS for depth perception. My ETP was denied twice, despite addressing all concerns
AFOQT: 99 pilot/ 92 cso/94 AA/ 94 Quant/72 verbal
PCSM: 92
GPA: 3.9

Any and all information is helpful. Thank you!

heihei

Search the forum before asking the same question twice!

Have you gone to a civilian optometrist for a second opinion? If not, then go. MEPS will take second opinions from into consideration. If you have and the civilian doc said the same thing as MEPS, you’re SOL (for the Navy, at least). Consider NFO.

Google will answer your question about Naval aircraft.

Flyhappy01

Search the forum before asking the same question twice!

Have you gone to a civilian optometrist for a second opinion? If not, then go. MEPS will take second opinions from into consideration. If you have and the civilian doc said the same thing as MEPS, you’re SOL (for the Navy, at least). Consider NFO.

Google will answer your question about Naval aircraft.
Thanks; I’ve read all of the forums actually. I must have missed the specifics for what is waiverable and what is not.

I currently fly the F-15E as a WSO. My pilot training spot was removed due to depth perception— and the USAF doesn’t care anymore about second opinions from civilian optometrists. An AD optometrist told me that the AF machines “meet a certain calibration, and civilian machines aren’t held to the same standard. So nobody will accept whatever results you get.”

That’s incredible that the Navy actually cares about civ optometry. If that’s the case, then that is a HUGE win. Thanks for the hope!

And it was just a question about airframes. Google didn’t answer my question; but thanks for offering your help! I *think* Growlers don’t go on carriers; but that’s mostly been through WOM that I heard some time ago— unknown if it was even credible! Lol

Thanks for taking the time and the interest in replying. Have a great day!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And say, if you are waivered but can’t fly aircraft carrier planes, what’s left? Growlers are still available, right?
You do know Growlers are CV deployed right? If you are thinking expeditionary VAQ, those guys all CQ. I have to say, as a NFO that flew S-3s and ended up a pilot 30+ years at a major airline, I wouldn't be so quick to give up a F-15E WSO seat to fly a land based big wing plane. Just me. Good luck dude.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks; I’ve read all of the forums actually. I must have missed the specifics for what is waiverable and what is not.

I currently fly the F-15E as a WSO. My pilot training spot was removed due to depth perception— and the USAF doesn’t care anymore about second opinions from civilian optometrists. An AD optometrist told me that the AF machines “meet a certain calibration, and civilian machines aren’t held to the same standard. So nobody will accept whatever results you get.”

That’s incredible that the Navy actually cares about civ optometry. If that’s the case, then that is a HUGE win. Thanks for the hope!

And it was just a question about airframes. Google didn’t answer my question; but thanks for offering your help! I *think* Growlers don’t go on carriers; but that’s mostly been through WOM that I heard some time ago— unknown if it was even credible! Lol

Thanks for taking the time and the interest in replying. Have a great day!
The fact you are a current officer changes absolutely everything, pretty much every answer you have received is moot. If you want to try to fly for the USN you would need to go through the inter-service transfer process and since you are active your depth perception check would be from a MTF not a civilian. The only thing I could see is if you could get an eye exam from NAMI (their exam is the only one that matters).

To see if any of this is possible you would need to talk to the Aviation Officer Community Manager, from what I have seen the odds historically are low, but worth a call as at least then you will know.

Flyhappy01

The fact you are a current officer changes absolutely everything, pretty much every answer you have received is moot. If you want to try to fly for the USN you would need to go through the inter-service transfer process and since you are active your depth perception check would be from a MTF not a civilian. The only thing I could see is if you could get an eye exam from NAMI (their exam is the only one that matters).

To see if any of this is possible you would need to talk to the Aviation Officer Community Manager, from what I have seen the odds historically are low, but worth a call as at least then you will know.
That is extremely helpful; that gives me a lot of direction and a vector to try. Thank you so much.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
ISTs are extremely rare and from what I’ve seen they have been for those who have prior training and skillets. I’ve seen it more on the reserve side (though still low numbers) than active duty.

Aviation has such a lengthy and “set” career path that even trying to IST as an O-3 or O-2 could lead you to being a 2x failure for select for O-4. Assuming you have no prior enlisted service, for the most part a 2xFOS for O-4 will send you home and the ROI the Navy spent on you goes down the drain.

The other issue… flight school is backed a bit (like 1-2 years) which only makes the previous issue with timing even more riskier.

Aviation already gets plenty of candidates from within, that is USNA, ROTC and OCS.

Finally, for the medical requirements check out MANMED CH15 and the NAMI guide. Cut and dry for the requirements.