• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployments/Time Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
I was wondering if anyone could give me information in regards to deployments and family life? I know there's a sea tour then a shore tour. What's the difference between the two in regards to how much you're away from home? Is there any way I could get a general break down of how many months I/you'd be away starting with your first year out of flight school, then second, third, fourth, fifth, and so on. I'm really confused as to how this works. How bad are deployments in terms of being away from family? Obviously they're not bad for your ultimate satisfaction as a pilot, but like I said, in terms of everything else. Any information someone could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
See tour is generally 36 months after you finish the rag. What the navy advertises is that you go on a six month deployment, and then you're back for 18 months. That's going out the window with the Fleet readiness Program. Also, for that 18 months you're back, there's boat dets and other dets that will take you away from home. Let me give you an example of CVW-9, they returned from deployment from Operation Enduring Freedom in May 2002, then had a short seven month turnaround which included Fallon Dets in September. They deployed Jan 2003, and were extended until September 2003. Bottom line is, expect the unexpected. This isn't cake and ice cream.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Thisgy is right. It doesn't just include your 6 month deployment. There is a number of workups to be done as well. I wasn't a pilot, but most deployments are all the same as far as time to prepare. The last year I was at SDV Team 2 I was gone at least 9 months including workups and the deployment. Two weeks at home, 3 away, 1 back, 2 away, a month back, etc., and then the 6 month deployment. I had a wife at the time(still do, same one) and it wasn't too bad, but with kids I think it will be tough. It was all very good experience though, and they usually understand you are away from you family alot and give you tons of time off when you are home. Gennerally on shore duty you do not deploy, but do take some short trips (TAD) if you are lucky (this always deems a large per diem check). Sea and shore rotations are supposed to give you a balance between away time and home time so that you/your family does not get burned out. Hope this helps.

GM2(DV)

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
EA-6B1 said:
What about Marine deployment rotation times?

they can be identical if you're in an air wing. I'm in CAG3 and of the upcoming 12 months, I'll probably spend 3 at home. We just started work ups. UDP guys probably have it a little better but they do CAXs and DETs that keep they away from home too. In some ways I'd rather just be a ragin' single with no one to say good bye to when I leave. In other ways, I couldn't do it without someone at home waiting for me, and supporting me. Not sure where the 36 months after you finish the rag idea comes from. Your sea tour depends on where your squadron is in their cycle when you join them. Pri A hornet guys in the Navy can go straight to the ship one week after they finish the rag and I've seen it happen more than once. 36 months? hardly.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
... so out of ten years being in the Navy, how many deployments would you say I would go on? Out of ten years, would you say that I'd only be home half of them?

Thanks so much for all your replies. This is really helpful.

cricechex

Warlord, I think there point is to expect the worst. If you get to be home half the time, you are doing pretty good. But a lot of guys are gone 2/3 the time. You can't put a set amount of time on the issue. For instance, my friend recently got out of A school and went to the Carl Vinson. It was in the middle of its deployment at the time so they didn't even fly him out to it. After it got back, it had a lot of maintenance to be done so it was not going back out for several months. So, as a result my friend has not left his wife yet after being on sea duty for over a year! I guarantee this won't be the same for the next two years though. It all comes down to the luck of the draw.

By the way, the Carl Vinson, if I remember correctly was only supposed to be on a work up when the Iraq thing started, it ended up being at sea for 8 months, instead of a couple.

But then again, what do I know? I haven't even left for boot yet! :icon_smil

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
cricechex said:
By the way, the Carl Vinson, if I remember correctly was only supposed to be on a work up when the Iraq thing started, it ended up being at sea for 8 months, instead of a couple.

Yep, I was on that extended cruise with VS-33.
Warlord, if you do ten years, you won't be gone for 5 because you have to factor in shore duty where you will have no dets or sea time. For example, you won't go to sea before you get your wings, then you'll go to a rag for six months, do your sea duty, then have shore duty. It really isn't that bad. Depending on your timing, you may only do one cruise and a couple workups before heading to shore duty.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Lincoln was on cruise for 10 months. I would say expect to be busy, espescially as a tactical aviator. Such is life in the Navy.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I would recommend this thread be moved...doesn't see like it has anything to do with Intermediate/Jets

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
I started this thread here because I wanted to hear from someone who flew "jets." I didn't know if it was different for different air frames. Maybe this forum is specifically for INTERMEDIATE training FOR jets, and not those who are already in the fleet. I still appreciate the answers.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Fair enough, I just thought this would be a good thread for anyone interested in deployments. Obviously, if you're ships company, you're going to be doing more detachments, but let's put it this way, our airwing is composed of 4 hornet squadrons, an S-3 squadron, a prowler squadron (those are your jets), and than an E-2 squadron, and a helo squadron. All those make the same detachments and deployments because they deploy as a wing.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
Okay well that makes sense. Thisguy, while we're on the subject, what would you say the ratio of aircraft is on jets? I.E. How many helos to jets to E2/C2s, etc.? I'm not a huge JETS guy, but I'd like to fly something with wings, not a prop, but either way I'd be in the air flying.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
There's definitely more Jets. When people hear Jets, they automatically think Fighters (thanks, Top Gun), but forget about the S-3 (which is gone anyway) and the Prowler. To give you a rough idea, last cruise we had 8 S-3s in our squadron, I think the Prowlers had 4 jets. The 4 hornet squadrons had something like 10 jets per, don't quote me on that, but as you can see, Props and Helos are the minority here. I want to say there were only 4 E-2s, and I'm not sure how many Helos the HS squadron had on board. However, Helos are also used on small boys, and don't forget about CODs and the Helos that bring the mail.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
thanks a lot thisguy... good info... i appreciate it... i'll pm you for any other questions. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.