• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment video causing heat for Enterprise Skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
OPSEC.....shouldn't have let the digital copy outside the circle that made it. Show it, reshow it, just don't put the damn thing on the share drive.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I thinking these need to go old school again and be live acting w/o cameras. No opportunity to ruin someone's career later.

Bevo16

pilot
This could have been released years before DADT and he still would have been crushed for that video.

Did you not read the story?

It was released years before DADT, and he wasn't crushed for it.

DADT gets pulled, and all the sudden this is a big deal. It's fucking gay.

H60Gunner

Contributor
This video, while probably funny to most,

Yup the majority

certainly and self-knowingly alienated some of the sailors under the then-XO's command.

Yup the minority.

I don't see how knowingly alienating and offending any of your sailors sets the right tone for this or any era's Navy.

That is always going to happen no matter who you are. You can say "I dislike apple pie" and you would offend someone.

This officer didn't just "foolishly throw in a few F-bombs." This was a heavily edited video. I hope the argument about this does not get hijacked by the "warriors play by different rules" mentality. Are we not supposed to cary our belief in professionalism with us, whether it be in civvies, the office, or on the battlefield/battleship?

You misspelled "carry", I'm offended. Now what do we do?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Did you not read the story?

It was released years before DADT, and he wasn't crushed for it.

DADT gets pulled, and all the sudden this is a big deal. It's fucking gay.

The videos were made while DADT was in effect, and years before DADT was repealed. They apparently weren't made public until very recently.

Regardless of what anyone personally thinks about the videos, ask yourself this question: if these had been shown to you before they were made public, and you were asked what the public reaction would be if they were shown on CNN, who wouldn't have predicted that they would cause a stir? In this day and age, when most media is digital and therefore can be exchanged with a push of a button or downloaded onto a USB drive in less than a minute and carried off the ship in a pocket, how stupid do you have to be (especially as a senior officer) to record yourself doing and saying stuff like this?

Reactions: m26

GreenLantern330

Just watched the video.. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I thought it was funny. Yeah, it probably wasn't smart to use that language (which didn't offend me, but I could see how others would find it unacceptable or offensive) on film. I just... don't get what the big deal is..

H60Gunner

Contributor
how stupid do you have to be (especially as a senior officer) to record yourself doing and saying stuff like this?

There has been much worse video shot onboard carriers. If you don't like it, don't watch it... what happened to that?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It didn't seem to bother anyone when it first came out 3 or 4 years ago. To crucify on the cross of political correctness an officer who by all accounts is a great leader is bull shit. His leadership is being confirmed by the vast majority of Sailors who have or are serving under him giving their support and loyalty.

Most members of the Naval Aviation community understand this is aviator humor. The CVN is reflective of the Naval Aviation culture and what he did was a morale builder. It also shows the younger troops and JOs that he is a person too, not some demi-god sitting in his silver tower. I've never seen a CO, CAG or Admiral sit out focsle follies. This was just an extension of that to the rest of the ship.

If I was still active, I'd be offended and alienated if I was forced to share a stateroom with a gay officer under the new policies. Yet I would be expected to accept it, suck it up and be "professional" about it without complaint. Why is this any different? The vast majority see it has humorous, not offensive. Just like the vast majority (supposedly) find the allowing gays to openly serve as acceptable and not offensive. Why is it okay because the majority like it in one situation but not the other?

This isn't about professionalism and leadership, this is about political correctness. And it does detract from the "warrior" culture and the benefits that mentality bring to a combat unit.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
It'll be unfortunate if he loses his command over this. The video was hilarious. The bosses that I've worked for that had a sense of humor seemed to help enhance the command climate more than hurt it IMHO. In this case, the video probably should have been restricted for Wardroom entertainment only, maybe minus the majority of SWOs.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
There has been much worse video shot onboard carriers. If you don't like it, don't watch it... what happened to that?

I don't disagree with that sentiment. My point was that it should have been obvious that A) if the videos were ever made publicly available, the reaction would not be good, and B) in this digital, social networked world, it's very easy to make things publicly available.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yup the majority

Yup the minority.

You're in charge of a platoon/division. Next time you have quarters, tell them that you've given up on the professional development of 10% of them based on demographics instead of performance. Justify it by saying you still give a shit about a vast majority. Good luck.

That is always going to happen no matter who you are. You can say "I dislike apple pie" and you would offend someone.

No. You would be talking about apple pie and yourself, not people. In the embattled CAPT's situation, he was talking about homosexuals, who are in the eyes of all but the farthest-gone bigots, people. If, however, you said "I'm producing a morale-boosting video for those who dislike apple pie. Those who like apple pie, go f yourselves," you'd be doing the same thing. But, of course, in that case you'd also be crazy. Who doesn't like apple pie?

You misspelled "carry", I'm offended. Now what do we do?

Don't be a child. If you have a real argument, make it.

H60Gunner

Contributor
I don't disagree with that sentiment. My point was that it should have been obvious that A) if the videos were ever made publicly available, the reaction would not be good, and B) in this digital, social networked world, it's very easy to make things publicly available.

True. I was watching that video with my 15yr old son and he didn't get the humor until I explained it to him. Then, and knowing me, he thought it was hilarious. Still doesn't make it wrong, I'm standing on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.