• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental Braces

fly2fight25

Fight to Fly....Fly to Fight !!
A friend of mine is considering applying for SNA and he is wondering if having braces would make him NPQ'ed until he got them removed. Anyone have any advice or "I know a guy who" info?

STLEngineer

pilot
Either my recruiter or the MEPS doctor said that Have Braces = No Navy.... something about the Navy doesn't have orthodontists, so if you have braces, they'll have to be off before you get any slot in the Navy.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had orthodontics here at USNA. They have a great ortho staff here as many mids arrive in braces or need braces prior to commissioning.
I was not deployable while I had them. Luckily the tour of duty was 3 years so it worked out okay and they were off before I deployed. The Navy paid for it all. :)
Now for OCS commissioning and/or boot camp...I would think not.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I still have that "permanent" retainer on my bottom row of teeth since I had my braces off nine years ago. I think they're keen on having me get it removed before shipping to OCS. I don't think you can have orthodontics if you go the OCS route.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still have that "permanent" retainer on my bottom row of teeth since I had my braces off nine years ago. I think they're keen on having me get it removed before shipping to OCS. I don't think you can have orthodontics if you go the OCS route.

It's not a matter of just having orthodontics in the general sense, but normal braces require periodic adjustment, so if you were stuck on a boat for >6 months without being able to have your braces adjusted, that would be bad. Braces are cool as long as you're not in a deployable status (I.E. shore duty).

Brett

Jay

I've heard of guys getting invisalign specifially because you can pop the retainer out and voila, you're deployable.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard of guys getting invisalign specifially because you can pop the retainer out and voila, you're deployable.

Cost not covered by the Navy. But you can do it on your own as long as you don't affect your deployability, which they don't.

Of course, if you're waiting for the next set to arrive in the mail in Iraq...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None

I've had my permanent retainer on the bottom row for 2 years now both before and after commissioning nrotc. The Navy dental ppl didnt have any problems with it when I reported to NASP. As for having it before OCS, I doubt it would be a problem. It's not like theyre gonna pop out. But to be sure, check with your OSO.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Any one know if braces are allowed during flight school while still on shore?

I havent seen anyone with braces in flight school. I dont see why you cant have braces. You'd be able to have them tightened monthly. But I have no idea how they would affect your performance as a student aviator. Maybe get caught in the oxygen mask??

I'd call dental or your local officer recruiter. But on a side note, before I commissioned I was explicitly told to have my braces off. But I never asked why since I would just be in flight training. Good question donny. Hopefully someone can chime in with more info.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't go to OCS with braces. No exceptions. Don't know if they are allowed during training. I expect not. As said above, you must be deployable immediately after training. Most ortho treatment last at least a couple years. You have a good long shore asignment, like Shnugg, then have the Navy do it on their dime.