• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Delta plane engine fails, forces emergency landing

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know the pucker factor on a 737 that's single engine?
Not a biggie .... I'm typed on the 737 and got my rating ride @ Moses Lake at night in a driving, wind-blown snow storm -- single engine -- and my experience level in the bird was slim when I took the ride.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
With a contained failure and no other problems, not puckered much at all.

Not a biggie .... I'm typed on the 737 and got my rating ride @ Moses Lake at night in a driving, wind-blown snow storm -- single engine -- and my experience level in the bird was slim when I took the ride.

Still the pucker factor is high for the passengers! Job well done to all past and present pilots!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still the pucker factor is high for the passengers! Job well done to all past and present pilots!
True. But it also depends upon how you handle it.

I once lost a 737 engine at night, shortly after a max-gross takeoff out of high altitude DIA, and with some tricky winds. It really wasn't much of a problem. (Did it in the sim many times)

The greater problem or concern however, was how to break it to the pax that we had to return to the airport. I was honest yet discreet. There was little concern – as there should not have been - outside of the unplanned delay to their destination that night.

[Fortunately, there were no "Twilight Zone Gremlins" jumping on the engine for the pax to see out their windows.:D........

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Out of curiosity, what is the single-engine capability of airliners? I mean obviously they are a lot more powerful than twin engine pistons or other light twins which are anything BUT single-engine capable. I assume they are capable of flying single engine straight and level but can airliners climb single engine? Complete a waveoff (go around) single engine? With normal climb rates in the thousands of FPM, I'd assume even single engine airliners can generally maneuver as required. All dependent on the T/W ratio and wing loading, but I'll defer to the been there, done that crowd.

MasterBates

E-2s can kind of climb and sort of wave off S/E. Pretty much anything from a King Air on up has something resembling acceptable SE performance.

Definition of acceptable may vary. 200fpm clean (10 flap, but that's "clean" for SE purposes) and 0 to some small negative dirty (gear and 20 flap) I don't find very acceptable, but it's what I've flown with. Can't speak for the Airliners, but we become VERY ceiling and speed limited in the E-2 single engine. Mid teens at best, and that's if you are coming down from the mid 20s, and burning fuel the whole time. There are certain places on the route to Afghanistan on the way back where you would be dicey on fuel getting either back to Kandahar or back to the boat, since you have 1 engine burning almost as much fuel as two normally, and a MUCH slower ground speed.

Anyways, we're not an airliner, but that's how a large-ish twin prop flies.

Without busting out books.. I think the -2s are some of the heavier turboprop twins around. Not sure what a C-27 weighs and am too lazy to look.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I think we could armchair quarterback this one for a while. I blame the unions.

I have been drinking.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
The "single-engine capability" of the WHALE sucks, quite frankly. :)

I bet just about anything airborne with only 1/4 of its designed power is going to suck. There's a line in the P-3 NATOPS about calculating the single engine rate of descent when considering 2-engine loiter. That one always seemed to give me a moment of pause.

Nice job by the Delta crew, even if it might not have been the worst malfuction in the world. I'm just glad they didn't interview any of the passengers in back who would have been able to offer their expert opinion as to how the flight crew did. I think that's one of the few articles covering avaition in the last several months that hasn't caused me to shake my head in disbelief.