• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Delays: How long?

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
Hey all. I have a conundrum.

I graduated from The University of Nebraska in December 2008, and I foolishly thought that I would either be A) In OCS or B) Denied at this point, allowing me to make a decision on my future as a teacher.

On February 11, my Recruiter called me after being Pro-rec'ed about a week before hand, telling me that there was a bad Date of Birth on one of my forms, and that it would delay my entry into OCS at least one month after correctional paperwork was sent in.
Both my wife and I are without insurance, and I am running out of money to provide for us and our son with. To top that off, I got sick about three weeks ago and cannot afford to go to the clinic, and now my Physical Training schedule has gone soft because of it. If I can just get a date, I can let banks/loan companies/friends know just how long it will take before my wife can pay them back and get some antibiotics, but right now, my life is on hold and I just can't seem to get Recruiting Chief/higher ups/ANYONE to give me a solid Y/N or when I would even receive such an answer.

Has anyone else gotten a bad signature delay? Just how much longer am I going to wait? No one wants to hire me because I tell them I have a possible commitment to the Navy, so further employment and a second job is almost slim to none chance. I can't apply as a teacher because I don't have a teaching license because it costs 80 bucks that I can't spare.

Looking back on it, this post sounds very whiny, and I hope it doesn't come off as such. I'm just frustrated to the edge of my wit, and I want to know ANYTHING about what's going on!

/midnight rant

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
I can't say much on the topic of delays but I am in a similar predicament when it comes to teaching. I got pro-rec'd in Feb. and am still waiting for a final select. I don't know whether to start applying for teaching jobs just in case or not, although my chances of making it to OCS seem good.

What I am doing is going to teacher fairs over the weekends. It would be nice to have a teacher's license if you go to them, but usually not required. If you show your test scores and degree that may be enough. I would suggest not telling future employers about the Navy, particularly schools, since they usually require you to sign a contract for one year. No school is going to even consider you at that point.

Personally, I am going to keep waiting for at least a month or two longer before I need to start seriously looking for employment somewhere. It does not sound like you have that option, hope you hear back from the Navy soon.

Lobster

Why don't you guys go find some part time stuff while you're waiting, its not a ton of cash but, at least its something...

kat27

Sounds like you need to keep yourself busy kid...
If you are not working right now or doing something to pass the time you are going to go crazy. Find a job that doesn't require a long term commitment ...or as Kurtzie said, a part time job. I nanny in chicago. It is def not my dream job, but it helps keep my mind off the Navy process and brings in the cash. Waiting sucks. You just have to make the best of it. If you go on with your life, the Navy thing will happen.

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
I'm currently teaching music at a day care to 3-4 year olds. This is my personal little hell. But I'm just keepin' my fingers crossed every day.

PS: On more sleep, my post sounds VERY whiny, and I do apologize.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If yuou are really worried about money and benefits I would look into gettting a job with Starbucks. That is not a joke. Even working there part time you can get benefits to include medical insurance after working there two months.

There are probably other options but that is the one I am aware of off the top of my head. Here are some details:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/jobcenter_thesbuxexperience.asp

Lobster

^
^
^

Doesn't McDonalds take really good care of their employees too? I thought i remembered hearing that somewhere before...