• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Delaying OCS to Redesignate

ematrix

I know I will probably receive a lot of backlash for this but I must ask this so I can make sure I make the right decision for my life.

I was selected for SNA in May 2022 and recently received an OCS date (13Aug2023). As that date draws near, I have really questioned if becoming a naval aviator is right for me. This has come after much thought and conversations with current and past naval aviators. One thing I know for sure is that I want to serve my country as Naval Officer and I would be honored to earn such a title. However, when I think about my other goals in life, such as being there for my family and one day building a family of my own, I can't help but question if I can make the commitment of 10+ years in the Navy and its challenging lifestyle. From everything I have read and heard, Supply Corps would be a better fit for me and the 4 year commitment seems much more digestible.

Can I push back my Aug OCS date so that I can apply for the next Supply board without giving up my spot as an SNA? If I do apply for Supply, will the board hold it against me that I originally applied for SNA?

I am so very grateful to have the opportunity to enter naval aviation, as I've always wanted to be a pilot, but I feel like I'd be risking my other life goals.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You either must ship or decline SNA and then start from scratch to apply for Supply Corps. It will be known by the SC board that you previously declined a commission.
I know I will probably receive a lot of backlash for this but I must ask this so I can make sure I make the right decision for my life.

I was selected for SNA in May 2022 and recently received an OCS date (13Aug2023). As that date draws near, I have really questioned if becoming a naval aviator is right for me. This has come after much thought and conversations with current and past naval aviators. One thing I know for sure is that I want to serve my country as Naval Officer and I would be honored to earn such a title. However, when I think about my other goals in life, such as being there for my family and one day building a family of my own, I can't help but question if I can make the commitment of 10+ years in the Navy and its challenging lifestyle. From everything I have read and heard, Supply Corps would be a better fit for me and the 4 year commitment seems much more digestible.

Can I push back my Aug OCS date so that I can apply for the next Supply board without giving up my spot as an SNA? If I do apply for Supply, will the board hold it against me that I originally applied for SNA?

I am so very grateful to have the opportunity to enter naval aviation, as I've always wanted to be a pilot, but I feel like I'd be risking my other life goals.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do boards usually react to seeing that an applicant previously declined a commission?
Well, it's definitely not going to help. The odds of getting another OCS spot after declining one just to try for another designator aren't good. The odds are dogshit, not to put too fine a point on it.

My dude, you've just got a case of cold feet at what seems like (and is, tbh) a serious professional and personal commitment. However, your rationale is, let's say, somewhat lacking. You've earned a shot at an amazing opportunity, one that very, very few get, including the others who applied for the SNA spot at OCS that you got. You really want to throw it away because ten years seems like a long time right now? Or you might start a family one day? It'd be a different story if your life is developing in a way that would make keeping your focus during OCS and flight school next to impossible...a terminally ill parent, GF turns up pregnant, special needs kid, whatever. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Bottom line is you're extremely unlikely to get into a later class, SC or not, if you drop your billet and reapply. Either decide to commit to what you've got, or decline it and move on with your life.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
How do boards usually react to seeing that an applicant previously declined a commission?

I'll be blunt: If you're having doubts now, you aren't going to make it in Naval Aviation. For every one of you, there are easily dozens who would jump up and literally slit your throat for the chance. Best of luck in other pursuits.

If that makes you mad, good. Prove me wrong by kicking ass in flight school. But do it because you want it that bad, not because some guy on the web called you out about it.

Last edited:

MGoBrew11

pilot
Dude, Suppos are ship’s company. You will be gone or on duty A LOT. Pilot is a better life, a better life skill and not ship’s company. Take that fwiw.

Even as a helo pilot, in my first 10 years of service (my min commitment) I was only deployed for 10.5 months total, split between two deployments. Sure, there was some other travel and work commitments in there, but nothing crazy.

Gone from home wise, Suppos may as well be SWOs.

Edit: also, if you’re currently single…don’t put the cart before the horse. It’s like any other job and being a suppo will be no more (or even less advantageous based on ship scheduling) than being a pilot. You can find a spouse and start a family as a naval aviator. I did.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Why is it you think you can't build a family of your own while you are in the Navy? I assure you many, many Navy families do just that. Sure, there are downsides, but there are also upsides like your kids getting to potentially live abroad, go on a Tiger cruise, meet families and other kids from around the US or the world, etc.

I grew up as a mil kid, and I assure you, I never felt deprived. (I'm now a Navy spouse and 20 years in, I'd say I'm doing just fine.) I didn't know any different and my parents never signaled to me that nt living near my grandparents (or the other things that go with that life) was bad or weird. Grandparents were mythical people and it was so special when I got to see them, so I didn't take them for granted. My point is that the life for your family and hypothetical future wife and kids will be what you make of it, and you can make it something amazing.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Same here. Wouldn't have met my wife without Naval Aviation.
Same. Met my wife as an FRS student in a city I never would have moved to if I hadn’t joined the Navy.

Bottom line, don’t make big life decisions based on someone or people you haven’t even met yet (at least that’s how I read your post). It will all come in time if it’s meant to be. If you already have a family and you’re just having second thoughts about the Navy or military…that’s definitely understandable.

If you’re currently single, as I understand it, I’d be trying to start OCS and get going in naval aviation yesterday if I were you.

ematrix

You guys are definitely right in that I am getting ahead of myself in terms of starting a family and finding someone to settle down with, as I am single right now. I might even be a little jaded having gone through a breakup recently and talking to a current navy pilot who is frustrated with establishing his personal life in the Navy.

I am extremely lucky to be in the position I am in and as some of you mentioned I do have a bit cold feet. I hope that is normal. I was so committed to SNA when I applied and was selected and for the past year I've been waiting, but as the date approaches I can't help but worry about how I will handle the lifestyle transition. After all, I only have heard/read accounts of the naval aviation lifestyle and never been through it firsthand. I'm just nervous about a 10 year commitment that I am sort of going into blind.

ematrix

For those of you who established families while in naval aviation or while your S/O was in the naval aviation, what did you find helped you succeed in doing so?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those of you who established families while in naval aviation or while your S/O was in the naval aviation, what did you find helped you succeed in doing so?
Being smart about timing all of our major life decisions and being flexible when our plans had to change. My wife and I started dating during my first fleet tour, and held off getting married/having our first kid until my weapons school (second/shore) tour. It was really important to us that I was around for some of the big firsts, so we did our best to make that happen.

That all being said, you have to roll with the punches. My wife had no clue what she was signing up for, but she’s been a champ about being flexible when the Navy has needed to come first. In return, we’ve been able to live overseas on the Navy’s dime, my daughter had visited 12 countries by the time she was 2, and I’m about to spend the majority of my remaining career working in embassies overseas. The experience hasn’t always been easy, but we wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I understand your concerns, but you have a golden opportunity to do something that will truly change your life for the better. Regardless of the low points, I’ve met very few people that regretted pursuing a career in naval aviation.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
For the love of god don't become a SuppO to in hopes of a better of quality of life. The TLDR is you've been given an incredible opportunity; take it and run with it. You won't regret it.

It's perfectly fine to have doubts along the way, and the life isn't easy on your family, but it's 100% worth it.