• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Definition question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
I was browsing through a post and saw someone put down for their status as "Ensign USNR." So I started thinken of a few definition questions I have. The 80's taught me "knowing is half the battle," so I figure I might as well ask.

1) What is the real difference between USN and USNR? Just commissioning through the academy or not, or if you applied for regular status after X(4?) years? Does this status change your seniority, get you a faster line at the grocery store, or just get you the key to the regular navy bathroom?

2) I am under the impression that engineers are not in the chain of command in a boat, same for docs and of course chaplains. Is this what is meant by "Unrestricted" and "Restricted" Line Officers? Is there an intrinsic difference between the Unrestricted folks and the special duty folks, supply and SeaBee's? Or is it just come down to who's in command if something was to happen to the CO and XO?

No big deal bout the questions, just curious bout the world I am applying to become a part of. Hope everyones weekend is going well.

Take care.

Integer1

Banned
There is something I know even though I don't know much. It is that now Academy graduates are also USNR. Somebody on this board said it was so that the Academy didn't seem like it was more elite than OCS, as before their midshipmen were USN.

And yes you still have to put the seat down (I'm guessing?)

That is a good question about the engineers and other non-combat occupations!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Egnineer's on the boat are still unrestricted line officer's and part of the chain of command. The title engineer is refer to the name of the department that the officer is in charge of (department head).

UNS v USNR is mainly job security. If you are USN it takes an act of congress to send you home prematurely. USNR not so much. You can augment after 4 yrs.

As far as line vs staff officer. A line officer can have command at sea... IE ship, sub, sqd, team/platoon. A staff officer can be in command of shore commands, such as branch medical, supply stuff...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Another thing with USNR and USN, since your obligated 8 years, 4 active four reserve, it's easier for the Navy to have all new officers as USNR and then if they decide to get out after 4 years, hey, they're already in the reserves.

Another big difference between URL and RL and Staff Corps, is that an URL can hold any job in the command, where as a RL is "restricted". It's not just about command at sea. A perfect example, is that I am a Restricted Line officer, and I can only hold billets in the maintenance department in our squadron. However, if I left and it was six months before my replacement got here, a pilot of NFO could come on down and hold the billet. I on the other had wouldn't be able to go and be the Pers O or PAO (or other jobs held by Pilots and NFOs).

It should also be noted that all Seabee Officers are CEC officers (with the occasional marine), including the XO/CO. So while they technically don't have command at sea, they do have command of a deployable battalion, which is pretty neat considering they're a Staff Corps. community.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
In advance, pardon the rambling. Note prior posts, do not mean to be argumentative, just another view.

Circa 1997, Sen McCain had legislated the change USN to USNR for Academy graduates. Prior to that, all graduates were commissioned USN. See
http://www.newtotalitarians.com/RadmHillEssay.html essay by Radm Hill, Class of 44 for some views on why this was done. Interesting reading for someone that has BT/DT.

USN/USNR makes no difference in my view, until after 4 years. Promotion to 0-4 in many ways requires augmentation, the term of art of being converted to USNR to USN.
Some folks have to request augmentation, some are offered without asking!! USNA graduates are ""required"". Nuke Prop are also expected to augment, maybe required. Master Chiefs were always USN, so do not speak from experience here. BTW: Augmentation effectively adds two more years of obligated service, concurrent though.

Engineers is a Navy term of art. I always thought "Engineers" and "Black Gang" were the same; e.g., those folks that worked far down deep in the ship, on the boilers and other mysterious machines. I found out later in life that there were CEC engineers, where being a PE is almost required for augmentation, Engineering Duty Officers (various warfare sepecialties). But talk to most old time sailors and they will say the engineers are the grubby guys with coal dust in their hair.

Command at Sea? Officer of the line, no restricted line allowed. Corps history tells of a Major Campbell (I think) that commanded a ship of the line, but that was way back before aught one!! Also, to command a "bird farm" or aircraft carrier, you gotta be a Naval Aviator or NFO.

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
Well damn, that sums up the answers to my questions quite well. Thank you for taken the time to put your responces down in ole black and white.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are sent packing as a USNR, the Navy doesn't owe you a dome; however, if you are USN, they have to give you severance pay. This happens during a reduction-in-force (RIF), which happened in the early 1990's.
ea6bflyr

Status
Not open for further replies.