• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Declined...kinda...

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
why would you wanna be an Intel officer if you can be an NFO??? that might be the stupidest thing i've heard in my life. take NFO.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
why would you wanna be an Intel officer if you can be an NFO??? that might be the stupidest thing i've heard in my life. take NFO.

Because not everyone has the same ambitions as you . . . I know, hard to believe . . .

IMO the DOR route in API would be utter crap. However, the redesignate is not a bad option either. I would, in your case, go NFO and attempt a redesignation after your first tour. However, that's because I am a little biased wrt swo/aviation.

bb1125

None
I don't think vette was being serious about the DOR thing. When I was in API it seemed like 80% of the DOR's, attrites, etc ended up with intel or IW. That may have been his point. I hope that was what he was trying to say anyways.;)

snake020

Contributor
I don't think vette was being serious about the DOR thing. When I was in API it seemed like 80% of the DOR's, attrites, etc ended up with intel or IW. That may have been his point. I hope that was what he was trying to say anyways.;)

Bad idea. Most recent redes board everyone who was PQ got SWO. Nobody I know put it as first choice.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I would, in your case, go NFO and attempt a redesignation after your first tour.

That's a lot trickier. Unless an airframe is going away or a certain community is overstocked, Pilots and NFOs generally need to meet their active duty obligation before applying for a lat transfer, which means probably two tours. That's a much longer road.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
If you care about being in the military and being in the Navy then take the slots they gave you and be proud that they accepted you. There are people that want to be in the Navy bad and can't so be proud and take what they think your suited for.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
IMO the DOR route in API would be utter crap. However, the redesignate is not a bad option either. I would, in your case, go NFO and attempt a redesignation after your first tour. However, that's because I am a little biased wrt swo/aviation.

NFO = longer training pipeline and longer commitment = longer wait to re-designate to the community of her choice.

BTW, the added benefit of SWO - redesignate is that you will have a real warfare pin which will be good for reputation/career.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Do I need to finish 4 years of SWO, or only recieve my Officer of the Deck pin before requesting to be re-designated?

It sometimes changes every few boards on the requirements for re-designating so it could possibly change by the time you reached what the requirement is now. Usually, though, it requries you have your SWO pin and sometimes as much as 4 years as a SWO.

For example for the community I am transfering to, it used to be required that are within 6 months of putting on LT and that you have whatever warfare qualification that your community requires. Now all you have to do is have your warfare qualification pin and be commisioned '06 or earlier.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFO = longer training pipeline and longer commitment = longer wait to re-designate to the community of her choice.

BTW, the added benefit of SWO - redesignate is that you will have a real warfare pin which will be good for reputation/career.

But...if she goes NFO, she's likely to see error of her ways and decide to stay in the cockpit having Intel types support her and have a bit of fun along the way. In certain communities, you'll be heavily engaged with Intel side of the house and paid better. Can SWO community make same claim?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
But...if she goes NFO, she's likely to see error of her ways and decide to stay in the cockpit having Intel types support her and have a bit of fun along the way. In certain communities, you'll be heavily engaged with Intel side of the house and paid better. Can SWO community make same claim?

Nope, SWO will squeeze every bit of blood out of that turnip and leave her happy to flee. But it may be the fastest road to her first choice community.