• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

December/ Rolling Boards

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Before finding out I was NPQ'd for Pilot for depth perception my OR was telling me that he was not able to add SWO to a Pilot/NFO packet as a third choice anymore due to wasting the board's time. I had to request it be put on after I was limited to NFO, as I didn't want to wait for another board to add SWO if that is how it shakes out.

Your OR is correct. A recent message came out telling us to discourage applicants from putting SWO as third choices as a fallback plan. If you really want to be a SWO, it should be your first or second preference and the boards will know that.

exNavyOffRec

Your OR is correct. A recent message came out telling us to discourage applicants from putting SWO as third choices as a fallback plan. If you really want to be a SWO, it should be your first or second preference and the boards will know that.

Kind of funny that this came out after they changed the APSR to have 5 designator spots.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand my numbers "fit" better in the SWO community than they do in the aviation community.
Fair enough.
I find it odd that my recruiter frowned against me placing SWO as my first choice. He said I had a better shot at aviation (for some unapparent reason).
So did we, as mentioned by NRC.
The
I find it odd as well. Your best shot is for SWO, as your low ASTB scores make it a long shot for aviation.
BzB
I already plan on retaking and resubmitting. Question: why would my OR push me to submit my package in the first place if it's non-competitive?
Perhaps because your OAR makes you competitive for SWO your third choice, but I think only your OR can answer that question.
BzB

m26

Contributor
So does that mean we essentially need to choose a top two? My real preference would probably be Intel>Supply>NFO≥SWO, although I'm still debating it. It's sounding like Supply/SWO/NFO would be a best bet to get picked up based on what I've read, though?

exNavyOffRec

So does that mean we essentially need to choose a top two? My real preference would probably be Intel>Supply>NFO≥SWO, although I'm still debating it. It's sounding like Supply/SWO/NFO would be a best bet to get picked up based on what I've read, though?

What this means is OR's are going to have to have more honest conversations about what a person is really qualified to apply for, too often people put in for things they are technical eligible for but have little chance of being selected.

Pilot/NFO/SWO are the 3 that usually give the best chance, Supply and Intel usually have high numbers of applicants and low numbers for selection.

Hump

Not at the Enterprise I want to work at...
I got talked into putting SWO down as a third choice. Hope that doesn't change anything as far as my first two are SNA/NFO. My recruiter said my scores are more competitive for the aviation community anyway.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got talked into putting SWO down as a third choice. Hope that doesn't change anything as far as my first two are SNA/NFO. My recruiter said my scores are more competitive for the aviation community anyway.
I was also talked into putting down SWO as my third option.
For both of you, if you don't get either of your first two choices, and you don't want to serve as a SWO... don't put down a third choice. That will leave a slot open for a qualified applicant who wants to be a SWO.:)
BzB

RescueSwimmer19USN

Active Duty Navy SAR Crewman
I put 1390 (SNA) as my only choice, no 2nd or 3rd preferences. While I'd be proud to serve as an Officer and NFO/SWO, I'll put the others next time if I become too old to be a pilot. I don't want to hold up another potential aviator who is limited to NFO due to age; the Navy needs the applicants that are passionate about their selected communities in my opinion, not people seeing their careers as a "fall back slot".
If you put a choice on your application, be willing to serve proudly in that community, because there are others in line who dream of being SWO's the way we dream of flying.

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
I put 1390 (SNA) as my only choice, no 2nd or 3rd preferences. While I'd be proud to serve as an Officer and NFO/SWO, I'll put the others next time if I become too old to be a pilot. I don't want to hold up another potential aviator who is limited to NFO due to age; the Navy needs the applicants that are passionate about their selected communities in my opinion, not people seeing their careers as a "fall back slot".
If you put a choice on your application, be willing to serve proudly in that community, because there are others in line who dream of being SWO's the way we dream of flying.

I can agree with that statement. Like your passion

Navy Ship

I plan on doing the same thing. I'm still a a few months from graduation. I figured I'll keep applying for SNA and on my very last shot, I'll put in everything.

However, do you think this will lower one's chance of getting in? In my motivational statement, I write about being a Naval Officer. However wouldn't it be a contradiction when my application comes in with only 1 job?

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
I plan on doing the same thing. I'm still a a few months from graduation. I figured I'll keep applying for SNA and on my very last shot, I'll put in everything.

However, do you think this will lower one's chance of getting in? In my motivational statement, I write about being a Naval Officer. However wouldn't it be a contradiction when my application comes in with only 1 job?

Just my two cent...

85% of my motivational statement deals with what I believe I have to offer the United States Navy as a "Naval Officer." Only about 15% of my statement deals with what I have to offer the aviation community. I think a big misconception some people may have is they forget that before one even gets to API down in Pensacola, they must first past three intensive months of Officer Candidate School in Newport, RI.

So what I'm saying Navy Ship is I think you are on the right track in writing your statement on wanting to become a Navy Officer. You could focus on writing about having a passion for aviation, but I think before you can even start to think about becoming a Pilot, you must know why you want to be an Officer in the first place IMHO.

P.S.

I'm focusing only one choice as well #GoNFO:D

V/r,

Sundown88

Last edited: